PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some (inexpensive) bass in my workshop

Shawn Christ
09-22-2012, 10:41 PM
No, not fish. I mean low-frequency audio in my basement workshop. I am using my college-era 1994 Technics pro-logic receiver which powers two Dual ceiling-mounted outdoor speakers that sound OK but lack thump. I guess I haven't fully grown up yet; every now and then I like to turn up my music and "feel" what I'm listing to, but without monster tower speakers or meaningful woofers I don't get that from this system. I'm thinking about adding a subwoofer and every now and then see deals for used or new 8 or 10-inch models for just a little cash. But I haven't pulled the trigger, and I really don't want to lose floor space. Does anyone else use an audio subwoofer in their shop? Better yet, has anybody built one from components (like from Parts Express)? I would love to build an inexpensive subwoofer from scrap MDF and mount it between my ceiling floor joists, but I'm not sure that will give me the sound I want. Suggestions? My shop is small, 13x17.

Jim Matthews
09-24-2012, 5:35 PM
l would go the cheap-and-cheerful route, with something ready to install.

http://www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com/lo8100walowp.html?gclid=CILoqM-Vz7ICFcne4AodsT8Ayw

Ole Anderson
09-24-2012, 5:40 PM
Check out this DIY speaker forum:

http://www.avsforum.com/f/155/diy-speakers-and-subs

ryan boyce
09-30-2012, 11:15 PM
I had a custom box made by TC Customs and instlalled 2 subwoofers Alpine R Type 10". Then purchased a Crown DJ amp at 1000 watts. My shop was perfect for good bass because it had alot of refletive concrete block surfaces. I even had a cabinet with a pull out shelf for the components.
However recently took everything out of the shop becuse it was too distracting.

Greg Portland
10-01-2012, 2:41 PM
No, not fish. I mean low-frequency audio in my basement workshop. I am using my college-era 1994 Technics pro-logic receiver which powers two Dual ceiling-mounted outdoor speakers that sound OK but lack thump. I guess I haven't fully grown up yet; every now and then I like to turn up my music and "feel" what I'm listing to, but without monster tower speakers or meaningful woofers I don't get that from this system. I'm thinking about adding a subwoofer and every now and then see deals for used or new 8 or 10-inch models for just a little cash. But I haven't pulled the trigger, and I really don't want to lose floor space. Does anyone else use an audio subwoofer in their shop? Better yet, has anybody built one from components (like from Parts Express)? I would love to build an inexpensive subwoofer from scrap MDF and mount it between my ceiling floor joists, but I'm not sure that will give me the sound I want. Suggestions? My shop is small, 13x17.
I've built numerous subwoofers, including some of the Part's Express designs. They work well for the $$$. How high are your ceilings? Shop volume is important, not just the floor area. What is your budget and performance expectations? Ole's link to AVS Forum will connect you with a lot of options. Sealed designs are very easy to make and I'd recommend that or a passive radiator design to keep dust out of the speaker. A 12" or 15" Dayton Titanic sub driver (~$150) + a 250W plate amp ($125) in a large enclosure will give you excellent shop performance. Enclosure size, required amp power, and bass extension (how low in Hz it can play) are all inter-related. To keep costs low, you can build a large enclosure... a lot of folks use sonotube + endcaps for construction ease. The plate amps with line level inputs ("speaker cable") are a good option for you because your 1994-era receiver probably doesn't have a dedicated sub output (RCA cable).

For your first project I'd build a sealed enclosure... they're almost impossible to screw up. Good luck!

Alternatively you can shop the local pawn shops and Craigslist.

johnny means
10-03-2012, 10:21 PM
+1 on Craigslist. Audio junkies are constantly upgrading, and usually dont put a lot of value on last years tech.

Shawn Christ
10-04-2012, 7:35 AM
These are good ideas. What compatibility issues should I be aware of when looking at car audio? For instance, will a car amp work with my home receiver? And Greg is correct, my receiver does not have a dedicated sub output or RCA connectors.