PDA

View Full Version : General Metalworking South Bend 9A restoration.

Josh Bowman
09-22-2012, 8:02 PM
Attached are the photo's of a South Bend, I picked up in IN last month. Although well used it had lots of tooling. The bearings are all in great shape, except for the motor drive units top shaft had some galling, but the clearances still seem ok. I just try to keep them well oiled. It runs very smooth, although it didn't look like a rag had touched it in 61 years. I continue to find little trouble, but nothing major. These old lathes were built very well it seems. I bought a book off of Ebay with felts and it was invaluable, and well worth the money. I never would have figured out how to get it apart and back with out it. Enough of my dribble, on with the pictures. This first group are of it before.

Josh Bowman
09-22-2012, 8:03 PM
And here are the afters.

ray hampton
09-22-2012, 8:26 PM
Josh , do you know that I am disappoint with my new lathe because of S B

Bruce Page
09-22-2012, 10:03 PM
Hard to believe that that is the same machine. Want to come over to my house? My Logan could use some TLC.

David G Baker
09-23-2012, 12:12 AM
Great restoration job. Wish my heavy 10 looked that good but if it did I would be afraid to use it for fear of getting it dirty.:D

George Carlson
09-23-2012, 4:31 PM
That's interesting. I had a Heavy 10 that was built on the same cabinet. I bought it from the local junkman and restored it. It had a Springfield Armory property tag on it. I wish i could have kept it, but if I had kept every lather I owed, I'd have a warehouse full.
Here's a link to the story: http://www.44-40.org/sblathe/junkman.htm
BTW, The article was written in 1997, so it was more than "a few weeks ago".

Josh Bowman
09-23-2012, 5:43 PM
Wow George! What a find. I wish I only had $250 bucks in mine. I even had to drive 600+ miles round trip just to get it. Have you thought of putting the 3 phase back on and adding a VFD? I found some through another forum for about $140, Model JNEV-101-H1. The one I saw on youtube, was very quite.

That's interesting. I had a Heavy 10 that was built on the same cabinet. I bought it from the local junkman and restored it. It had a Springfield Armory property tag on it. I wish i could have kept it, but if I had kept every lather I owed, I'd have a warehouse full.

David G Baker
09-23-2012, 5:49 PM
My heavy 10 looks just like your before photo with the exception of the collet holder rack. Your restored photo is awesome, wish mine looked like that. My 10 was owned by the Navy. I looked the serial number up and found that it was made in the 50's. I am not a precision machinist, I cut metal until it fits. I have had way too many hobbies to get the training to become a real machinist but I can't imagine living with out my lathe and small mill. My cabinet is exactly like yours except one of the knobs is missing off of one of the drawers and it runs on 110 volts.

ray hampton
09-23-2012, 6:33 PM

what are the purpose of the U-turn legs other than making it to be easy to move

Josh Bowman
09-23-2012, 7:20 PM
Ray, these (desk) benches are made almost entirely of tube steel and weigh a lot. Even with my lathe off of it, moving the thing was still a chore. The drawer boxes don't seem to have much to do with the structure unlike a real desk.
So to answer you question, I guess bending the hoop was a way to kill two birds with one stone. They got the legs and a frame for the drawers. When I saw the first picture of mine, I though it was just an old desk with a pan on top of it, then up close it was obviously made for it.

what are the purpose of the U-turn legs other than making it to be easy to move

Jay Rasmussen
09-23-2012, 8:29 PM
Great job Josh!

I really like the stand, great nostalgic look.

The taper attachment is also a nice addition.

Jay

Baxter Smith
09-23-2012, 11:05 PM
Great job Josh. Would like to have one someday!

Scott T Smith
09-23-2012, 11:26 PM
Josh, that really came out nice! I too have an old 9A, but mine looks more like your "before" photo....

I see that you replaced the leather belt. Is that a serpentine one from a car? I added one to mine earlier this year and it really made a positive difference in the amount of torque available at the chuck.