PDA

View Full Version : Walnut vase turned green what now?

Mike Tilley
09-22-2012, 5:57 PM
This is the first time i have turned green wood to finish had to try out the new monster.
After you get the piece this far do you sand it right away or should it dry for a while? Wasn't sure if the heat from sanding would cause any problems or if the finish would seal the moisture in.The wood wasn't dripping wet just felt damp any help would be appreciated.

Roger Chandler
09-22-2012, 6:03 PM
I would sand it, and put a finish on it ASAP.......the quicker you get it sealed with finish the less loss of moisture and the finish will slow that loss at a rate that is managable......hopefully! A penetrating finish like danish oil......many coats soaked in might keep it from cracking.........good luck!

Paul Saffold
09-22-2012, 6:49 PM
LOL, I thought this tread was about walnut that changed colors.

ray hampton
09-22-2012, 8:35 PM
LOL, I thought this tread was about walnut that changed colors.

That is what he said

Bernie Weishapl
09-22-2012, 11:11 PM
I agree with Roger. I generally flood them inside and out for several minutes with Antique Oil. After 10 to 15 minutes I wipe off the excess then let dry for 24 hrs.

Mike Tilley
09-23-2012, 2:29 PM
Thanks Roger and Bernie i had some danish oil at the shop so gave it a couple of good coats this morning will see what happens. I still have several pieces of it so will be able to try other pieces

Olaf Vogel
09-23-2012, 4:27 PM
Your biggest problem will be keeping the pith in the base from cracking. I turn it down as small as possible, then soak it with CA. Has worked every time.
As for the rest, the walls look about 1/2" +. For a smaller form that shouldn't distort too badly.

I've had no luck with finishing wet wood. The moisture will come out - guaranteed. Just depends on how fast. And moisture under finish can distort color a lot - a real shame with walnut.
Try covering it with anchor seal on the outside only. Leave it to dry from the inside out.

Weigh it and note the weight. then check once a week until it stops getting lighter.
Then return it to finish.

it take a few tries to figure it out, but don't give up.

Jamie Donaldson
09-23-2012, 7:24 PM
I don't try to turn wood that is wet enough to sling spit, but allow it to dry more before turning. For a completely turned vessel that might still be "damp," place in a brown paper bag(Polish kiln!) and allow to slowly stabilize in the shop environment for weeks or months until dry enough to apply final finish.