PDA

View Full Version : Stock Artwork

Ernie Martinez
09-22-2012, 1:58 PM
Anybody have a good source for stock images and artwork? I'm looking for patterns, and images suitable for engraving on tile for example. I'm not the artsy type, so I have to rely on other's creative talents. I'm looking to build a catalog of available art/images/patterns etc, on an Ipad so I can present to customers easily. I've seen a few sites that sell stock artwork, but was wondering if theres a really great source for laserable images.

Thanks

Dee Gallo
09-22-2012, 2:32 PM
Ernie,

Check out Dover - they have both books to scan and CDs with line art. There are tons of topic and style categories to choose from.

cheers, dee

Ernie Martinez
09-22-2012, 2:34 PM
Do you mean Dover Publications?

Michael Hunter
09-22-2012, 6:24 PM
Best to split your catalogue up.
Just a few each of birthday, holiday and anniversary type things (which must be good and immediately striking images).
Keep all the rest separate for those few who actually have some idea of what they really want.

Typically, customers are very easily bewildered and once they have got that way find it impossible to make up their minds.
If they "go away to decide", they will rarely come back.

Keith Outten
09-22-2012, 7:41 PM
Over the years I have accumulated a large inventory of art work. To start I have several versions of Corel Draw art, then the IMSI 101,000 image collection that I got many years ago when we were doing a lot of web design. I also was able to get several years of the Manufacturers and Builders Newspapers that has some beautiful art that looks a lot like patent office art work. I collected about twenty of the Dover Publications books, two of the Golden Era Studios Sign Design DVD's and two of the Vector Art collections. I was able to collect most of the Tattoo Art collection DVD's from a local artist and the Enkenbold Architectural Collection from a web site when it was accessible for free.

Its all good stuff, sooner or later a project comes up that fits one collection or another. Even so it seems that every job requires the art work to be customized in one way or another but the savings add up over time.

Bruce Dorworth
09-22-2012, 9:46 PM
Check out this place (http://www.briarpress.org/cuts/browse?t=100)(click on the word place). It has a lot of interesting artwork for free. I think I may have another one of those somewhere.

Bruce

Mike Null
09-23-2012, 8:10 AM
Older versions of CorelDraw have extensive clipart files. I have V8 which is particularly large.

Look on eBAy and Craig's list.

Walt Langhans
09-23-2012, 5:05 PM
Along the same lines... I've been hunting for a wood grain with no luck. To be specific, I'm looking a pattern that could be engraved on to MDF to make it look like a gained wood. I searched and found a lot of colored textures, tried converting them to bitmaps and do line drawings but that always comes out a mess. Even found some black and white ones, but they weren't 'clean?' enough and came out like junk when I tried to convert them to just lines.

Thanks

Martin Boekers
09-24-2012, 10:47 AM
You can get wood grains by searching companies that sell wood sheets they usually have a photo of the wood. You may have to
do some photo editing to get the graining effect you want.

Check all your softeware as many come with clip art packages, you just may not have noticed it. I have found some packages
at Flea markets and thrift stores cheap.

Make sure you read the usage that Dover allows (or others for that matter) as most limit what your rights or, then you decide.
You can search copyrights here as there are many posts and opinions on that...;)

Most art stores have a selection of clip art also. There is much free stuff online if you do a bit of research.

Rudy Ress
09-29-2012, 9:53 AM
Another place for wood textures is: www DOT unleash DOT com/textures
They have wood, stone, terrain, etc.