PDA

View Full Version : Dewalt 618 router motor help

Bryan Cramer
09-22-2012, 10:20 AM
I am doing some work for a set in 3/4 construction grade ply wood. I needed to join plywood sheets to extend the length to 10'. Being the woodworker I am, I used half laps. Because they are full sheets I used my router to cut the half laps. This is where I ran into a problem when I was cutting a 3/8 deep pass with a new 5/8 straight bit. Remember this is more construction work I didn't care if the cut had a little chipping or burning. While making the cut my Dewalt 618 router kept stalling out. That shouldn't happen right? There has been one problem with it since I bought it 2 years ago: when making a heavy cuts the motor top (where the brushes are) lights up with sparks. :eek: I had warrenty work done, but they told me nothing was wrong. I did convince them to change the brushes, but that didn't help. Is this normal? The router has seen alot of use (it is my only one), but I think that router still should have plenty of power for this cut. Does anybody else have one acting like this? Is there anything I can do?

Thanks

pat warner
09-22-2012, 10:54 AM
A shame.
You've been misled. The speed changer is about to blow.
Would not use that machine on any job that counts.

Clint Baxter
09-22-2012, 10:56 PM
Agree with Pat. The problem lies with the variable speed portion of the router. Had similar issues and that was the solution.

Clint

Charles Lent
09-23-2012, 7:56 AM
With that amount of sparking at the brushes there could be problems with the armature windings too.

Charley