PDA

View Full Version : The not so joy of turning Makore

Jay Jolliffe
09-22-2012, 8:32 AM
I'm new to turning so around my shop there are various woods for me to butcher. Popular, Mahogany, Pine ,Maple, Walnut & Sapele.....I found a piece of thick Makore so I thought I'd try it. Well after sharpening the tools I went at it. Well the edge on the tools didn't last to long & I got some reactions from the dust & chips. From congested breathing, watery eyes & a rash .....I don't think I'll be turning it in the future. Funny thing is I can mill it & no reactions....

Bernie Weishapl
09-22-2012, 8:58 AM
That is why a respirator is in order. I have one wood that congested me when I started turning but haven't had a problem with it since getting the respirator. I wear a long sleeve shirt and keep blowing the dust off my shirt sleeves quite regularly and wash up as soon as I am done.

Roger Chandler
09-22-2012, 9:39 AM
+1 on the respirator..........some wood dust is very toxic! Exposure can lead to bronchial infections and or pneumonia infections and some can lead to cancer with repeated exposure. I would suggest also that you look on the AAW website at the toxic woods list..........might give you an insight on which woods to avoid since you have already had a reaction.....good luck!

Steve Schlumpf
09-22-2012, 1:23 PM
Sorry to hear about your reaction to the wood... but it does happen! A mask - especially a powered respirator - makes a huge difference.

Steve Kubien
09-22-2012, 2:26 PM
I will never touch makore again. One experience from my flat-work days was enough.