PDA

View Full Version : Turning trade gloat!

Scott Hackler
09-21-2012, 10:15 PM
So I can't take it any more and have to blab it to everyone. I happen to have a friend that lives in south east Missouri and is a great turner and he sure likes to make American Indian basket forms. He also happens to do a photo realistic job at it. Sooooo, having drooled over his stuff for a while now...we discussed doing a turning trade. I have a piece in mind...but have been really busy and haven't got it started yet. Appearantly he didn't want to wait for mine and I received this in the mail a few days ago! He was supposed to be sending me a bowl to sand blast and return, but this gem was under that bowl! Now I really need to get going on a piece for him!

It's Christmas in September for me.

I present the latest piece for my small but growing collection, from master turner...and my friend...Jim Adkins.

This is the one in his latest thread, but here are pictures I took tonight. As he stated, this is a piece done in the Kitanemuk style. He painted the inside with a terra cotta paint .

Soooo cool! Oh, and those little marks in the beads are about 1/16" apart!

Roger Chandler
09-21-2012, 10:48 PM
Hubba hubba, hubba...........what a great piece of art, and Jim must be a class act! Awesome for your collection, Scott, and no doubt that friendship was just cemented a little firmer.............I am sure Jim is excited about what your side of that trade is going to be...........no doubt, some of your best work to date will be incorperated.........best of luck as you embark on a special piece...........be sure to post!!!

Steve Mawson
09-21-2012, 10:49 PM
Thats a beauty, would add to anyone's collection. Waiting to see what you send to Jim.

Larry Marley
09-22-2012, 12:34 AM
Wow!
Just Wow!

Kelvin Burton
09-22-2012, 1:41 AM
Any chance the piece you are about to make for Jim will involve a burl you got from Jim after SWAT?

Doug W Swanson
09-22-2012, 1:48 AM
Wow, what a nice gesture! I can't what to see what you make for Jim!

charlie knighton
09-22-2012, 3:30 AM
very nice, great gesture, gift from a true friend

Thom Sturgill
09-22-2012, 6:27 AM
It's a compliment to both of you that your work is worth trading for, especially at that level. Can't wait to see what you send him.

Alan Trout
09-22-2012, 8:29 AM
Scott,

Jim does awesome work, and I would be very proud to own that piece. Very nice, I can't wait to see what you send him.

Alan

Bernie Weishapl
09-22-2012, 8:55 AM
Wow Scott that is a beautiful piece. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Steve Schlumpf
09-22-2012, 1:25 PM
WOW!!! My jaw hit the floor when reading this! Congrats!! Looking forward to seeing what you turn for Jim!

Richard Madden
09-23-2012, 3:10 PM
You lucky dog.

Ronald Campbell
09-24-2012, 9:13 AM
Scott the piece is just beautiful. I hope there comes a day when I can swap a piece for something that looks that great. Ron

Scott Hackler
09-24-2012, 10:57 AM
Thanks for all the envious comments!! The piece I have planned for Jim ought to be quite a task. I am hoping to have it roughed out in the next week and completed in the next few months. Either way, Jim's trade piece is very cool and a great addition to my collection. Everyone I have shown it to can't believe how detailed it is.

Kelvin, is will NOT be made out of that yellow mallee burl. Only because it would be a serious crime to "swiss cheese" that piece of wood!

Kelvin Burton
09-25-2012, 1:10 AM
Scott, now you have me really curious!:D Guess I'll just have to wait and see what you come up with!

Michael Dromey
09-30-2012, 1:05 AM
This must be the piece that you were talking about today Scott. This is amazing. Really a stunning piece of work!!!