PDA

View Full Version : New to me, Felder J/P

Jeff Monson
09-21-2012, 5:56 PM
Finally got home a used AD741 J/P machine that I picked up a few weeks ago. Thought I would share a couple photos of one sitting alongside a Hammer A3-31. I was hoping to have my Hammer sold by the time all this was said and done, but no buyer yet. Its definately heavier :(, quite a beast to get home. It came to my commercial location as my neighbor has a forklift, sat in my shop for a couple weeks. Today I rented a drop deck trailer, had a small bed that went right to the ground, this made getting it home much easier. I have not powered it up yet, maybe this weekend if time allows. I have to put in a couple 3 phase outlets as this is my 2nd 3 phase machine. I installed some great lake casters on it before I moved it home, I think they will be taken off. The casters raise the jointer bed just a little too high for my taste. Next week I'm going to fabricate a mobile base with some external casters that will allow me to drop it at least a couple inches. Comparing the 2 machines, its not really much wider, actually the AD741 will go right up against the wall, where my Hammer had to be pulled away from the wall to clear the tables when they were lifted. I think the width taken up in my shop will be a wash. Should be a really nice machine when its up and running, I did really well on the deal, just need to move my old one :).

Patrick McCarthy
09-21-2012, 6:59 PM
ah Jeff, I was just about to convince myself i don't need to upgrade my 8" General jointer to a Felder . . . and you go and post this picture of "candy" . . . you dog, you.

Congrats!

p.s. I am somewhat concerned that your shop, or at least what we can see, is too big and too clean . . . . don't know how you guys do it; a cleaning lady perhaps?

howard s hanger
09-21-2012, 7:12 PM
Wow. That AD 741 is huge! I just got the A3-31 about a week ago and love it. I'm sure you will enjoy it. Were you simply upgrading to the 410mm or was it something else? BTW, I noticed the mobility kit is mounted 90 degrees to how the new one's are positioned.

Jim Neeley
09-21-2012, 9:36 PM
Jeff, you Dawg!!! I've been eyeing the A3-41 for a while now! :) :)

David Kumm
09-21-2012, 9:47 PM
Jeff, great machine. It feels good to find something that nice at a used price. After you have used it a good objective comparison with the Hammer would be good info, including any opinions as to when the price difference is justified. I'm both a fan of large and used so I'm looking forward to your impressions. Dave

Jeff Monson
09-22-2012, 12:15 AM
BTW, I noticed the mobility kit is mounted 90 degrees to how the new one's are positioned.

Howard, mine originally came mounted the other way also. My shop is small so getting the machine around with the kit mounted the "long" way just didnt cut it. I just made one out
of some angle iron to be able to move it the other way. Worked much better in my circumstances.

Mike Heidrick
09-22-2012, 12:28 AM
That 741 sure looks nice. Congrats.

ian maybury
09-22-2012, 1:17 AM
Nice find. It'd be nice to hear in due course how the two machines compare in use. I have an A3 410, and have wondered if there is a practical difference...

ian

Steve Rozmiarek
09-23-2012, 7:32 AM
Nice machine Jeff, you will enjoy it. I sure do like mine. Something for you to think about, I have a CF 741, and the powerfeeder that hangs on the back of the saw works spectacularly on that big jointer as well. Makes pushing a 16" wide board across the knives effortless. If you want to accessorize, I recommend. Which cutter head do you have?

Jeff Monson
09-23-2012, 10:33 AM
Nice machine Jeff, you will enjoy it. I sure do like mine. Something for you to think about, I have a CF 741, and the powerfeeder that hangs on the back of the saw works spectacularly on that big jointer as well. Makes pushing a 16" wide board across the knives effortless. If you want to accessorize, I recommend. Which cutter head do you have?

Steve, I have the 4 blade Felder head, wish it would have had a tersa head as I have heard great things about it. Funny you should recemmond that, my 741 came with a power feed attachment kit. Never installed, so I plan on putting it on down the road. I put it through some testing yesterday, it was not impressive, my 1st couple cuts were not what I expected, very loud and terrible snipe when jointing. I grabbed my 48" straight edge and checked things over, the outfeed table was off at least .050. I spent the better part of 2 hours getting things perfect, I thought it might be best to install new knives also. Fired it up again and viola, new machine, cuts are super clean and accurate, noise level much better. The digi-drive takes a little messing around with to understand the functions (still not up to speed but getting closer). I calibrated it as the thickness was off 1/16" also, now whatever dimension you enter, it cuts spot on. I'm very impressed so far with the machine, I like the switchover the best, it takes much less time and no cranking.

Jim Becker
09-24-2012, 8:50 PM
Congrats! That's a nice machine.

Rod Sheridan
09-25-2012, 8:23 AM
Show off!

Nice machine Jeff...........Rod

Jeff Monson
09-25-2012, 8:59 AM
Rod, you are one of the main kingpins in all this you know! Not pointing fingers, but just saying.

BTW, Thanks

Show off!

Nice machine Jeff...........Rod

Rod Sheridan
09-25-2012, 10:59 AM
Nice machine, you even have digi-drive.........That'll spoil you for sure.

Of course having a 410mm jointer and planer will spoil you anyway......Rod.

Todd Burch
09-25-2012, 11:25 AM
Copy cat!!!!

Ralph Butts
09-25-2012, 4:54 PM
Really sweet machine Jeff. I was holding up pretty good waiting on my A3 41, probably another couple of weeks before my early christmas. After looking at the pics of your AD741 that calmness is apparently going out the window.

Hank Hill
02-26-2013, 4:57 PM
Jeff,

Those leveling casters that were on the AD741, were/are they stem based casters or the standard mounting plate found on most casters? I want to order a set of the casters for a AD741 I haven't received yet and but don't know the dimensions and design of the machine feet to order the right casters. I don't think the additional height would bother me.

Hank

Rod Sheridan
02-26-2013, 7:00 PM
Howard, mine originally came mounted the other way also. My shop is small so getting the machine around with the kit mounted the "long" way just didnt cut it. I just made one out
of some angle iron to be able to move it the other way. Worked much better in my circumstances.

Nice find Jeff, make another base like you did for your A3-31, I really like that style of base, much better than casters............Regards, Rod.

Or you could just drill 2 axle holes.