PDA

View Full Version : 12" Disc Sander Conversion

John Hollaway
09-21-2012, 11:07 AM
I have always used PSA sandpaper on my disc sander, but I'm considering converting the disc to H & L. If any other Creekers have performed this change already, I'd like to know if you are satisfied with the operational sanding characteristics with the switch to H & L. Thanks.

John Hollaway

Grant Wilkinson
09-21-2012, 3:44 PM
I think it depends on what you are using the sander for. I tried it and didn't like it because the hook and loop had enough flex that the surfaces were not square to the table. I was sanding segments for bowls and I couldn't live with the amount they were off.

Montgomery Scott
09-21-2012, 4:36 PM
That's what i was thinking as well, since I use mine for segmented pieces. If you don't have a stiff flat surface, it's worthless.

ian maybury
09-21-2012, 5:06 PM
If the inconvenience of changing self adhesive discs is the problem it's maybe worth saying that they can be very easily and quickly removed using a gas torch to heat them up a bit to soften the adhesive. They peel off dead easily then, and leave no residue.

I run the disc while heating it so the heat is well distributed. Don't overdo the heat as it's not necessary and might not be good for seals and/or bearings.

One of the mags recently ran a piece where they talked about scraping the old disc off. Not a very practical option I'd have to say...

ian

glenn bradley
09-21-2012, 7:25 PM
$10 heat gun from Harbor Freight works well too. If you are changing frequently due to wear I would try a higher quality abrasive. There is a wide difference in quality on abrasives. If you need grit changes to work through the grits, a second plate might be a good idea(?). I have also cut the center 6" out of a 12" disc and filled it with a higher grit allowing 2 level of abrasion per plate. The workability of this would depend on the sizes you frequently sand.

Keith Westfall
09-21-2012, 8:38 PM
...worth saying that they can be very easily and quickly removed using a gas torch to heat them up a bit to soften the adhesive.

This just made my "Friend of the Creek" status worth every penny! No more scraping and wiping with harsh chemicals.

The creek is a good place!

ian maybury
09-22-2012, 1:31 AM
Presuming that discs are basically all the same in this regard Keith - but a trial should show fairly quickly. It doesn't take that much heat. Go carefully with your heat source (a heat gun is probably safer than a gas torch), and take care not to create a fire risk (that your disc is metal, that there's nothing flammable about), or to overheat anything...

ian