PDA

View Full Version : Arborvitae Vase

Kathy Marshall
09-21-2012, 12:40 AM
Last night I was looking through some of the logs that have been sitting around awhile. I was looking for one about 5" diameter, that would be fairly dry, to turn into a cylinder to use for more coasters.
I found an arborvitae log thats been sitting around about 1 1/2 years, a little checking on the ends, but otherwise in great shape.
I trimmed off the end and then cut off about a 10" section, mounted it between centers and then removed the bark.
I had doubts about it working out for coasters since it's a pretty soft wood, but I went ahead and roughed out a cylinder. Once it was roughed out, I decided to turn a hf instead.
This is a different shape for me. I didn't plan for a particular shape, I just knew it would be tall and fairly narrow due to the size of the blank.
It's 8 1/2" x 4" and just has a coat of lacquer sanding sealer to protect it. The heartwood is a bit oily, and I wasn't happy with oil finished I've used on it in the past, so I'll probably finish it with lacquer.
Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome.

Norm Zax
09-21-2012, 6:46 AM
Looks like Yew. Elegant result!

Mike Cruz
09-21-2012, 7:42 AM
I think that turned out great, Kathy. Pretty wood...and I had never heard of it. Not sure why I would have...don't think it grows around here. Funny how pieces just speak to you once you start, huh?

Steve Schlumpf
09-21-2012, 7:59 AM
I like it! Nice form and I really like all the color variations in the wood!

Bernie Weishapl
09-21-2012, 8:58 AM
Good looking vase Kathy. Wood has some nice color.

Jerry Marcantel
09-21-2012, 9:15 AM
Kathy, that's a nice looking piece.. The form works well. Now the wood.... Did it have a shaggy type bark, and while alive, does the leaves resemble Cedar? Did it smell a little like Cedar while turning????? Jerry (in Tucson)

charlie knighton
09-21-2012, 10:18 AM
very nice, lovely form

wes murphy
09-21-2012, 12:28 PM
good form and nice wood, Kathy. Good job.

Nick Jarrell
09-21-2012, 3:50 PM
Great job. I love the shape. Beautiful vase.

Doug W Swanson
09-21-2012, 9:20 PM
Must have been a big Arborvitae. The ones around here don't usually get that big. Turned out nice!

Kathy Marshall
09-21-2012, 11:37 PM
Thanks everyone!
It's nice to try a different form every now and then, and sometimes the results work.

Kathy, that's a nice looking piece.. The form works well. Now the wood.... Did it have a shaggy type bark, and while alive, does the leaves resemble Cedar? Did it smell a little like Cedar while turning????? Jerry (in Tucson)
Jerry, I guess you could call the bark shaggy and I'm not all that familiar with what live cedar looks like, but we had an arborvitae at the house I grew up in, so I recognized it right away from some of the leaves that were left on it. It does smell like cedar.

Must have been a big Arborvitae. The ones around here don't usually get that big. Turned out nice!
Thanks Doug, it must have been a fairly old one, they don't get all that big here either, more like a big shrub than a tree.

neil mackay
09-22-2012, 2:16 AM
Darn I missed this little vase. Great vase, never heard or have seen the wood before. But it came up well under your hands.