PDA

View Full Version : Looking for info on zebrawood

Craig D Peltier
09-20-2012, 8:35 PM
I have 400 board feet of 4/4 zebrawood. It seems that 60 out of 80 pieces have pitch pockets, it's dark black and looks like shallow troughs. Is this common? Is it still desirable ?

thanks

Peter Quinn
09-20-2012, 9:26 PM
Sounds like a bad tree. I've seen a pitch pocket like void here and there, but never that many in that quantity of boards. Bigger problem IME has been hair line stress cracks or shattered areas that show up after you glue up. Very brittle wood. Is it QS or plain sawn material? I'm pretty sure they call it Zebra wood because it smell like Zebra posterior when cut. Often the pockets I've found were not through and through on mostly QS material and I could flip the boards to hide them if they could't be cut out.

Craig D Peltier
09-21-2012, 12:48 AM
It's qs.
thanks for info, that is what I was afraid of all the pockets, most boards have them.

Sounds like a bad tree. I've seen a pitch pocket like void here and there, but never that many in that quantity of boards. Bigger problem IME has been hair line stress cracks or shattered areas that show up after you glue up. Very brittle wood. Is it QS or plain sawn material? I'm pretty sure they call it Zebra wood because it smell like Zebra posterior when cut. Often the pockets I've found were not through and through on mostly QS material and I could flip the boards to hide them if they could't be cut out.