PDA

View Full Version : OT: Any XPerts out there?

Jason Roehl
05-03-2003, 8:22 AM
My local ISP recently called me up and told me they were re-balancing their T1 connections, and had me change from a fixed IP address. Now XP is set to automatically obtain an IP address in network/properties/Lan/properties. And I now lose my DSL connection after some as yet undetermined length of inactivity, causing me to have to re-boot to get my connection back, a major PITA!

It's a small, local ISP/phone co-op, so I don't anticipate being able to get any help from them until Monday...

Any ideas?

David LaRue
05-03-2003, 8:38 AM
If you are using a broadband router such as D-Link, there are a few setting you need to make:

WAN Type: You need to select Dyanmic IP Address
Host Name: Usually optional (Check with ISP)
Renew IP Forever: Enabled

The renew forever will keep you from getting booted off for inactivity.

Hope this helps!

Also... I assume you are NATed and using a firewall of some sort? :)

Dave

Jason Roehl
05-03-2003, 8:49 AM
Originally posted by David LaRue
[QUOTE]If you are using a broadband router such as D-Link, there are a few setting you need to make:

D-Link DSL-300 ADSL Ethernet Modem, no router (that's in my garage :D).

WAN Type: You need to select Dyanmic IP Address
Host Name: Usually optional (Check with ISP)
Renew IP Forever: Enabled

Didn't run across this stuff...will look again.

Also... I assume you are NATed and using a firewall of some sort? :)

NATed? Do you mean Norton AV? I used to use it, but when I installed XP, I couldn't get it to work again, and haven't messed with it since. My problems came immediately after my ISP had me change my network setup.

Firewall = ZoneAlarm

Thanks!

John Miliunas
05-03-2003, 8:58 AM
Conversely, if you're not using a router, you can still accomplish what you're trying to do without rebooting.

Go to "Start/Run" and type: "cmd" (sans quotes for all of these). That will get you to a command prompt. At that prompt, type: "ipconfig /release". After it's done with that, type: "ipconfig /renew". That will issue you a fresh IP address. Note, there is a space between the "ipconfig" and the switch ("/"). Also, as David indicated, some type of firewall on an "always on" connection is pretty mandatory. XP has one built in to it, but I would still go further with something like Zone Alarm or the such.

Finally, you may be able to "trick" your ISP into thinking there's activity by setting your email client to check for incoming mail every 5 minutes or so. For many ISP's, that will be enough "traffic" to not drop the connection, in your case, yanking the IP address and throwing it back into their DHCP pool. Good luck!:cool:

David LaRue
05-03-2003, 9:09 AM
NAT - Network address translation. It is a poorman's firewall. It basically masks your IP address to the outside world. This is so you can operate on a internal non-routable IP address range within your network. It also allow you to share the one IP address given to you by your ISP, and share it with other computers in your network. NAT comes with most home broad band routers. You would place the router after the cable modem. The Router acts like a distribution point to addition computers too.

But what you need it for is the ability to renew your IP address and 'hide' behind a different IP address to help keep those scipt kiddies at bay. DLink D-614+ is a nice router / wireless unit it is easy to setup, and has advance features if you need them down the road.

BTW: I'm glad to see you using the software firewall, and Zone Alarm is a good one.
:)

Dave

John Miliunas
05-03-2003, 10:39 AM
[

NATed? Do you mean Norton AV? I used to use it, but when I installed XP, I couldn't get it to work again, and haven't messed with it since. My problems came immediately after my ISP had me change my network setup.

Firewall = ZoneAlarm

Thanks! [/QUOTE]

No Norton (or anti-virus)? Ouch! Really should have that on board. The Norton quit working with XP, most probably, because you have an older version. I forget which incantation of it started working with XP, but I know Norton AV 2003 does.

I can't help much more with the router issue, as I live in a DSL/Cable modem deficient area. I have DirecPC (one way) and simply share out my connection through XP to the rest of the machines on my little LAN. I'm with Dave on the ZoneAlarm: Not only is it free, but it's one of the best ones out there!:cool:

Jason Roehl
05-03-2003, 1:07 PM
Back to the drawing board...none of the above suggestions worked...still had to reboot a few minutes ago to reconnect after one hour of inactivity (even with the mail program checking every 5 minutes). I guess I have until Monday to cool down so that I can be civil when I explain the trouble to the techs at Mulberry Phone Co-op. :D

IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT, GUYS!!!!

John Miliunas
05-03-2003, 4:11 PM
Jason, the sad truth is, as far as you're concerned, it wasn't broke. As far as the ISP goes, they were "fixin'" it. By that I mean, chances are that their client base has grown enough to where they can no longer afford to give every DSL subscriber a dedicated IP address. Instead, you're all thrown into a "pool" of addresses and, whoever connects and needs one, gets one assigned. We can't even have DSL out here, but those in town, will sometimes get a choice of static or dynamic IP. That's cool, except, those choosing the static, pay extra.

Now, why in the heck you get shut down in as little as an hour, is beyond me. That seems a bit *too* skimpy, especially if your email client is out there polling for mail every five minutes. My own non-DSL ISP, shuts me down every eight hours, regardless of activity. It's something they have built into their system. I could (and have been!) be downloading an update or security patch and, if I didn't check my on-line time, they cut me off right in the middle of it, if my "8 hours are up".

Before going to your ISP, you may want to check in with Keith. He may have a bit (lot) more insight into this than I do and may be able to point you in the right direction. Good luck! :cool: