PDA

View Full Version : Invasion of the spiders? Or just my imagination?

Kevin Bourque
09-20-2012, 2:33 PM
Is anyone else seeing an increase in spiders in their home recently? It seems like there are more of them and they are bigger too!!!

Gary Hodgin
09-20-2012, 2:42 PM
Seems all insects have been worse than normal this year around here. Somehow we got fleas and like to have never gotten rid of them. About everyone I know had an ant problem this year. I've sprayed around my house and in the garage a couple of times for spiders. We had our yard professionally sprayed two times this summer. The house was treated for fleas two times by exterminations and we fogged for them two times. I blame it on a extremely mild winter.

Mike Henderson
09-20-2012, 3:10 PM
No, if anything, I'm seeing less spiders this year than in previous years. We don't get many in our home, but usually get a number in the yard, especially the web weavers. I like the web weavers because they catch other insects. Unless the webs are in a walkway, I leave them alone.

Mike

Belinda Barfield
09-20-2012, 3:25 PM
From back in July . . .

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/story/2012-07-23/summer-bugs/56442572/1

Warm winter plus wet weather = bugs. We're seeing a lot more bugs of all types around here. Several cases of West Nile.

Gary Hodgin
09-20-2012, 3:40 PM
We've had a few cases of West Nile also. We were just outside of Panama City Beach about a month ago and West Nile had hit there pretty hard. It was on the news about every night.

Scott Donley
09-20-2012, 4:50 PM
Same problem here. According to a news report here it is because this time of year the male spiders come out of hiding looking for a mate. Hope they aren't Black Widows. Take this info for the worth that that you paid for it.

ray hampton
09-20-2012, 4:53 PM
We've had a few cases of West Nile also. We were just outside of Panama City Beach about a month ago and West Nile had hit there pretty hard. It was on the news about every night.

this Panama , are we talking about Central or South America ?
I stay in the house after dark bugs or no bugs, the spiders webs are not in my walkway [GOOD ]

John C Lawson
09-20-2012, 6:02 PM
Here in North Texas we've had almost half the cases of West Nile in the US, 865 cases and 28 deaths just in the four main counties of the Dallas-Fort Worth area.

Gary Hodgin
09-20-2012, 6:13 PM
Ray,
Florida, no telling what they got crawling and flying around the country of Panama. Florida's as far south as I really want to go. Well, to be honest I really don't care much about going to Florida. Wife likes to so I have to. She goes to the beach, I go to eat.
Gary

ray hampton
09-20-2012, 6:52 PM
Ray,
Florida, no telling what they got crawling and flying around the country of Panama. Florida's as far south as I really want to go. Well, to be honest I really don't care much about going to Florida. Wife likes to so I have to. She goes to the beach, I go to eat.
Gary

Panama got airplanes that fly from the USA, If you buy a plane ticket to Panama, better be careful

Belinda Barfield
09-21-2012, 9:37 AM
Here in North Texas we've had almost half the cases of West Nile in the US, 865 cases and 28 deaths just in the four main counties of the Dallas-Fort Worth area.

I've been following that John. I have family in Dallas and in Beaumont. I've been really worried about them.

Ray,
Gary

Funny, Gary! When I was growing up we went on vacation to eat - breakfast mainly. Seriously, my dad would plan the route we would take based on where he wanted to eat.

Ole Anderson
09-21-2012, 9:49 AM
I have found that Spectricide BugStop works well. It comes in a gallon jug with a hose and wand applicator. You pump it up like a garden sprayer. The stuff lasts at least 6 months here in MI in areas not directly exposed to rain, like around exterior doors and eves. Haven't tried it indoors, although it says it is ok there too. No more spider webs around my basement doorwall. Used to be that I couldn't go out that door without clearing all the webs with a stick first.

Gary Hodgin
09-21-2012, 11:35 AM
Belinda,
Your dad sounds like me. There's a couple of places around Panama City BeachI really look forward to going every year. Going down we always stop at Durbin Farms, about 60 miles south of Birmingham on I-65. Good veggies and fruit for the week plus we have a little ice cream.
Gary

Larry Whitlow
09-21-2012, 11:46 AM
I have found that Spectricide BugStop works well. It comes in a gallon jug with a hose and wand applicator. You pump it up like a garden sprayer. The stuff lasts at least 6 months here in MI in areas not directly exposed to rain, like around exterior doors and eves. Haven't tried it indoors, although it says it is ok there too. No more spider webs around my basement doorwall. Used to be that I couldn't go out that door without clearing all the webs with a stick first.

I'm going to try this. So far the insecticides I've tried don't seem to bother spiders. Strongest stuff I've tried is bad for pets, but doesn't seem faze spiders. Spiders are bad this year. We are seeing a lot of big hairy ones that look like wolf spiders.

ray hampton
09-21-2012, 12:42 PM
I'm going to try this. So far the insecticides I've tried don't seem to bother spiders. Strongest stuff I've tried is bad for pets, but doesn't seem faze spiders. Spiders are bad this year. We are seeing a lot of big hairy ones that look like wolf spiders.

If yo are lucky enough to have spiders , then you also got bugs of some sort, I hate spider bites but the bug bites are worst

Kevin W Johnson
09-22-2012, 9:50 PM
I've had very good success controlling spiders, and other insects with Ortho Home Defense. I spray under the eaves, corners channel on vinyl siding, around windows, shutters, doors, and any areas that look like harbors for insects.

Be advised that some spiders cannot be controlled unless you make a direct contact. Black Widows, for example. I class them as a "smush" bug, smush'em and you know you got'em. Have smushed 45 or so in the last 8 years. Admittedly, I'm not a fan of spiders. Too many species to keep up with ones you don't wanna mess with. And the mess they can create as well. I do have a writing spider out front that has gotten a free pass so far though. I even gave him a cricket last night, to which he quickly ensnared and wrapped it in a "lunch box".

Joe Pelonio
09-23-2012, 4:12 PM
We have a bumper crop this fall, including the Hobo spiders which have a nasty bite. I have squished 5-6 of them in the last week or so. The biggest numbers are the Crane Flies, those things are all over. This summer we very few mosquitos or Yellow Jackets, so I guess we can't complain too much.

Michael Arruda
09-25-2012, 1:22 AM
We get roaches every year in the summer due to the neighbors having a chicken coop. Normally they're not too bad- you only see them outside. This year, we've had a bunch inside and out, and as a result a BIG increase in spiders. I've killed about 50 black widows this year, 10+ sun spiders (vinegaroons), and a couple of wolf spiders that freaked out the wife. When I get a wolf, I try to catch it and release it into a patch were black widows frequent- they fight. Many times, it seems, the wolf loses, but I figure the possibility of him winning is more worthwhile than the obvious outcome of a shoe squish. We also get long legs and jumping spiders, with some orb weavers thrown in for color, but I've not seen many of them this year.

-Michael

ray hampton
09-25-2012, 2:30 PM
We get roaches every year in the summer due to the neighbors having a chicken coop. Normally they're not too bad- you only see them outside. This year, we've had a bunch inside and out, and as a result a BIG increase in spiders. I've killed about 50 black widows this year, 10+ sun spiders (vinegaroons), and a couple of wolf spiders that freaked out the wife. When I get a wolf, I try to catch it and release it into a patch were black widows frequent- they fight. Many times, it seems, the wolf loses, but I figure the possibility of him winning is more worthwhile than the obvious outcome of a shoe squish. We also get long legs and jumping spiders, with some orb weavers thrown in for color, but I've not seen many of them this year.

-Michael

How far can a jumping spider JUMP, I had seen them jump but never seen them land