PDA

View Full Version : powermatic 2700 + steff feeder?

mreza Salav
09-20-2012, 11:42 AM
I have a shaper (without a feeder) and haven't used it. It's an older Asian made that I rebuilt with 3/4 (and 1") spindle.
While looking for a feeder I came across a US-made powermatic shaper (model 2700) with a steff 4-wheel feeder (2044) that has come up locally and the seller
says they are like new (will have to see). Picture is below. I know prices are lower in US than up here in Canada but
how much would be a good price for this package? he says they come with some cutter heads as well (don't know what and how many).
I am new to shapers but I think I will use it to build some cabinet doors and perhaps an entry door in the future.

TIA

Peter Quinn
09-20-2012, 12:19 PM
That is a PM 27, not the newer Pm 2700. Value Depends on specifics of the configuration of motor and spindles, they were available in several different formats. Here a 5 HP with 1 1/4" spindle sells for between $1200 to $2000 depending on condition and other market factors, the steff feeders ive seen go used for as little as $450 and as much as $1000, depending on condition and the market demand, patience of. Oth buyer and seller etc. its not my favorite shaper for several reasons but it's a solid and serviceable unit that is highly capable of making cabinet doors and could certainly make larger doors on a small shop basis.

alex grams
09-20-2012, 12:24 PM
In USD, I've seen 27's with feeders for around $1500-2k, the 27 alone for about 1k. If it were truly a 2700, 2-3k with a feeder would be an average market price, depending on condition. I bought a 2700 with smaller feeder for 2k, then sold the smaller feeder and upgraded to a 1hp 3 wheel powermatic feeder, all said and done it cost me about 3k, but once again, a 2700, no 27 as your picture shows.

mreza Salav
09-20-2012, 12:28 PM
Thanks Peter (and also for the correction on the model number). What are the differences of 27 and 2700? What should I be aware of?
He asked me to give a price but I didn't know. He throw a number $2500 for both but said
is open to other offers. I will have to check the HP of both but is it fair to assume $2k or less for both is a reasonable deal?

Ralph Butts
09-20-2012, 12:32 PM
I purchased a PM 2700 demo for $1700 last year. I have seen the older 27's in my area for anywhere from 1200-2500. I also found a used 1 Hp Grizz 4 roller feeder for 425. It required a little tlc but works like a champ. The shaper photo in your original post is the older 27 not the 2700.

Jeff Duncan
09-20-2012, 12:38 PM
FWIW I sold my Powermatic 27 w/ a 5hp motor and 1-1/4" spindle for $1600 several years ago. It was in very good condition and was maybe 3 years old at the time. I'd say if the one pictured is in good condition and comes with the feeder $2k is a reasonable price, though closer to the high end of the spectrum. Now the cutters could make a huge difference in value! For instance....a single set of Freeborn door profile cutters by itself runs about $400....so you have to see the whole package to really know where to price it out.

good luck,
JeffD

Stephen Cherry
09-20-2012, 2:02 PM
FWIW I sold my Powermatic 27 w/ a 5hp motor and 1-1/4" spindle for $1600 several years ago. It was in very good condition and was maybe 3 years old at the time. I'd say if the one pictured is in good condition and comes with the feeder $2k is a reasonable price, though closer to the high end of the spectrum. Now the cutters could make a huge difference in value! For instance....a single set of Freeborn door profile cutters by itself runs about $400....so you have to see the whole package to really know where to price it out.

good luck,
JeffD

I was going to say that also. If it has the cutters you want, that could make all the difference. Maybe think of buying the cutters, and getting a shaper thrown in. Cutters are not just cutters though, they need to be something that you would use.

Peter Quinn
09-20-2012, 5:29 PM
Around $2000 seems like a fair range to me assuming 5hp 1 1/4" spindle. The feeder is around 1 hp for sure, I have that one in my shop, nice machine. Definetly worth a look and a conversation. Cutters would be a nice bonus too and can add some value/price should they work for you.

mreza Salav
09-20-2012, 5:52 PM
Thanks to all.
I guess my question got lost: does anybody know the main differences of 27 and 2700 series? is there anything I should be aware of,
e.g. the new model has improved fence? I will contact the seller again to get some more info about HP and cutters.

alex grams
09-20-2012, 6:24 PM
Mreza, the main things you will notice between the two are:

-larger table on 2700 (40"x30" vs 24x26/28x30)
-Built in mobile base on 2700
-the 2700 is still being built, the 27 is discontinued I beleive
-I think the 27 comes with a 3/4 and/or 1" spindle, the 2700 has a 3/4 and 1 1/4" spindle. 1" is an oddball size, 90% of what you find will be 3/4 or 1 1/4"
-the 27 weighs in at 500lbs, the 2700 at 700lbs, just more mass/less vibration in the 2700.

I can't compare the fences on the 27, but I have a 2700 and the fence is well made and designed. Shaper fences tend to be lacking a lot in older designs, so maybe someone with a 27 can chime in on the fence.

mreza Salav
09-20-2012, 7:28 PM
Thanks Alex. If it is only 3/4 and 1" spindle then it's the same as the shaper I already have and there is no point in getting the powermatic.
If I can get the power feeder only I'll get it; otherwise I pass on the package.

Peter Quinn
09-20-2012, 8:52 PM
Thanks to all.
I guess my question got lost: does anybody know the main differences of 27 and 2700 series? is there anything I should be aware of,
e.g. the new model has improved fence? I will contact the seller again to get some more info about HP and cutters.

The 2700 is the replacement for the 27, which has been around for decades. You could get a 27 with solid 1 1/4" spindles, interchangable cartridges. This means you don't just swap spindles, you change the whole assembly to switch from 3/4 " to 1 1/4" sizes, its a solid piece from spindle to pulley. Real PIA to change, but it made it more rigid. They also made "interchangeable" spindles which work much like delta/asian import clones with a draw bar/nut from below. These are less rigid than the solid spindles and IMO best avoided unless the price is great. They also made solid spindle 1" models, which are ok, but essentially useless so must be bushed up to 1 1/4". Silly idea, but they work decent. I've used one. They had 3/4" and 1" interchangable models with no 1 1/4" option, not sure if the parts below the table were any different, never used one of these.

Differences between 27 and 2700? Lots of changes. Spindle assembly is different. The 2700 uses a tapered/lock nut/draw bar assembly for the interchangable spindles that looks closer to the european method of spindle change than the older American style, and they are all interchangeable now. The cartridge "quill", or the business end of the spindle below the table is more robust than the older 27's though seems based on a similar design. The base is heavier and has mobility built in. The fence is vastly improved and includes a mechanism to keep the fence plates parallel, the 27's often get out of parallel and you are left to shim the back of the fence plates for correction which is a hunt and peck method at best. The top is bigger, it is one piece rather than bolt on tables like a TS top. They put a digital height gauge on the 2700 which is a small but nice feature, more like icing than a deal maker. And the 2700 has a bigger hole in the table, which is a big improvement if you regularly run panel raisers or molding knives partly below the table. The hole size on the 27 is perfect for cabinet sets, perfectly infuriating when running bigger heads, but it gives you some idea what the maximum size cutter the engineers figured the tool should spin. There are work arounds (3/4" bed board).

I don't own a 2700 but was planning too when I stumbled on a used minimax I could't resist, so I had looked at them real close. Nice machine. I've been using 27's for years, decent mid sized machine with a few "quirks" they seemed to have fixed on the newer model. Oh, and the 2700 is made in Tiawan, the 27's were made in USA, not sure what that means in this case. I prefer the design and features of the 2700, can't speak to its build quality in use.

mreza Salav
09-20-2012, 11:10 PM
Many thanks Peter for detailed reply!