PDA

View Full Version : Log Cabin Building

Keith Ratliff
04-14-2005, 7:16 PM
Has anyone ever built a log cabin from raw logs? I don't want to use a miled logs. I have lots of eastern red cedar logs set a side to use. I was just wondering if anyone has done it from scratch out there? If not do you know of any good site or books about it?
Thanks
Keith

Richard Gillespie
04-14-2005, 8:30 PM
The only log cabin I've ever been involved with building was with milled logs. However, there was a show on PBS showing a 40 some year old man building a log cabin in Alaska. He built the furniture, doors, etc., all with hand tools. He lived in that cabin for 35 years, into his 80's till the -50 degree winters got to be too much for him. He donated his cabin to a park and had rights to spend time there whenever he wanted. I've heard the video is on sale but I've forgotten where and how much. CRS you know.

Keith Ratliff
04-14-2005, 10:09 PM
Richard,

I really to find someone who is in the know and near enough for me to drive or fly out and see the product they produced. I am beginning to think I need to find out who could mill the logs I have now into D-logs and just build mine like a kit.

David Fried
04-14-2005, 10:47 PM
... I've heard the video is on sale but I've forgotten where and how much. CRS you know.

Great Video!!!! He seems to get better results with an ax and chisel than I can with a table saw and planer.

It's available at http://www.dickproenneke.com/DickProenneke.html

Jerry Olexa
04-14-2005, 11:05 PM
That is a great video, He also has a book describing his journey! Both Excellent IMHO. He built his cabin from scratch, If nothing else, you'll enjoy the DVD and/or book.

Keith Ratliff
04-14-2005, 11:57 PM
I will try to hunt this book I also would like to know the thoughts on subfloor structure.

Charles McKinley
04-29-2005, 4:22 PM
Hi Keith,

St. Roy (Underhill) has a good discription in one of his books of the system he used. Have you considered cord wood construction? There have been many threads on this on the Mother Earth News forum in the building section. (www.motherearthnews.com) The people there are very nice also.