PDA

View Full Version : getting my origin in the top left

Jeff Wilkins
09-20-2012, 9:36 AM
I am having trouble getting the origin of my worksheet in the top left with positive numbers going right and down. I currently have positive x values going right but negative y values as I go down. So if I want to put a 12in square in the top corner I have to put its coordinates at (6in,-6in) for it to be in the right spot. I am using X5. Thanks

Martin Boekers
09-20-2012, 10:20 AM
A bit confused again.... Does your layout size match your page size in the driver?
Is the 12x12 at the top left corner of the layout? I'm not familiar with your driver but it seem that your
layout and page size aren't the same.

If all else fails....Have the 12x12 position vectored to a piece of test scrap, then place the tile on that and
everything should be positioned to go.

George M. Perzel
09-20-2012, 10:27 AM
Jeff;
At the upper left hand corner of the juncture of the vertical and horizontal tool bars is a small icon with a diagonal arrow. Drag it to where you want your origin to be.
Best Regards,
George
Laserarts

Lee DeRaud
09-20-2012, 10:43 AM
Sounds like the problem isn't getting the origin in the right place, it's getting Y to run north-to-south (to match the physical rulers in the machine) instead of south-to-north like normal Cartesian coordinates. And Corel absolutely will not do that. So you end up having to put a minus sign in front of every Y coordinate when you type it in.

I fought with this mental coordinate (mis)translation for years, and hated it. When I recently had to reinstall Corel on my "design" machine, I accidently ended up drawing a file with normal lower-left coordinates...and my ULS machine accepted it without a whimper and cut it correctly. Since I mostly do vector cutting anyway, I've left it like that and just ignore the physical Y ruler on the (seldom-used) engraving table. Dunno if Epilog/GCC/whatever works the same way, but it's worth a try.

Frank Corker
09-20-2012, 10:51 AM
George has nailed it on the head.

Jeff Wilkins
09-20-2012, 11:07 AM
Thanks George. That is correct but I still have the issue that Lee is discussing which was my problem. Thanks Lee for letting me know I cannot switch it. My laser came with some software called lasermaster and I could change it in that program but couldn't find it in corel (because it isn't there :) ) Thanks everyone.

Mike Null
09-20-2012, 11:34 AM
I believe there is a way to do what you want. But negative values will remain below the 0-0. Open a new page and go to tools>options>documents>rulers set according to your table size or the size you want to work with. Save as default.

I don't see any issue with negative numbers in the y axis--at least with any of the machines I've worked with.

Note the settings on the screen capture.

Lee DeRaud
09-20-2012, 12:02 PM
I don't see any issue with negative numbers in the y axis--at least with any of the machines I've worked with.It's not an issue, just an annoyance, especially of you're accustomed to working in normal quadrant I coordinates, or from drawings that are. A typical example is an abject at, say, -5.0 that needs to be moved "up" 1/2 inch. One of two things happens: I type in "5.5" and it disappears off the top of the screen or I type in "-5.5" and it moves the wrong direction. Even after seven years with Corel and the laser, this happens often enough to drive me crazy.

I was extremely happy to find that I could work in Corel in "normal space" and the only coordinate translation I ever needed to do was when placing stock at specific Y offsets using the engraving table ruler. If that ever becomes an issue, I'll just engrave a new Y-scale for the table and glue it on.

Mike Null
09-20-2012, 1:01 PM
I constantly need an upper left position for brass plaque plates. I just don't highlight the - sign when I change them. It's not an issue after all this time.