PDA

View Full Version : Difficult (for me) Bandsaw decision

Brian Gleason
09-20-2012, 9:35 AM
Looking to buy a bandsaw.
Considering used Powermatic 14" or new Grizzly. I could likely get away with the G0555LX but since the Powermatic is 1 1/2 HP i am also considering the G0555X model. Money matters but so does quality. No experience with either manufacturer. REALLY need some solid advise. Also, 8hr drive to get the used one, or delivery of a new one. Thoughts???

Thanks

McKay Sleight
09-20-2012, 10:12 AM
Brian, I have a 14" PM and it is a good saw. It does NOT re-saw very well. I have kept it, but I also just recently purchased the 14"SUV from Laguna dedicated to re-sawing. I have used the Laguna extensively in the past, (I taught woodshop for 31 years), and have found it superior to Delta and Ricon. I compared it to the Jet, (which was larger) and the General. The Jet was an ok saw, but I saved $500 by going with the Laguna. The General seems to be a pretty good saw but there are some short cut issues that I did not care for. I have not had any experience with the Grizzly, but just looking at it, I would think that it is on par with the Jet and General. When I first started teaching, there was a Walker/Turner that was VERY old and still very serviceable. I would spend the money for a good saw and plan on keeping it for 4-5 decades.

John Lifer
09-20-2012, 10:15 AM
That Isn't a used BS, it is like new and I'd be jumping on it rather than Grizz. Especially since he has about $500 in accessories installed. No contest are you in the truck yet?

Joseph Tarantino
09-20-2012, 10:18 AM
no brainer. grizzly g0555x. you are not only buying a tool, you are buying the company that stands behind it. and grizzly enjoys a far better reputation for CS and tech support than does the wmh tool group (parent of jet and powermatic).

glenn bradley
09-20-2012, 10:35 AM
Well there's some direct opinions for you but, I didn't see anyone ask how you were going to use the saw. If re-sawing is in your future, a modified 14" can be made to do this well but, it takes some tweaking; not that that is a bad thing. It is not unreasonable to think that the PM is available for the same reason my old contractor saw became available. After adding a lot of aftermarket stuff to it, it was still only "close". Very close but, only close. Again this is not a bad thing; my saw was very usable.

All that being said, if you want a small saw for curves and quick cuts, either will do. If you want to re-saw lumber all day, neither is a good choice. The amounts of each you want to do will determine the perceived "goodness" of the saw. There are a lot of PM lovers and a lot of G0555 lovers out there so, I'd call it a toss up and let the warranty and customer service factor in at a level that it is important to you.

Carl Beckett
09-20-2012, 10:44 AM
All that being said, if you want a small saw for curves and quick cuts, either will do. If you want to re-saw lumber all day, neither is a good choice.

+1 on this. I had an older 20" Grizzly for a while. Then moved and purged and when my shop came back it was with a 14" Jet. Then more recently I added an 18" Laguna, and was considering selling the Jet but the advice on this board was not to. Turns out I use them both!

I think for smaller cuts and curves, etc - the 14" saw is more than adequate (and I saw a smaller 10" Rikon listed on CL recently that could be just as good). These can be had for about $300 used (have seen an older mint condition Walker Turner for $500 recently).

Then the question is what to use for resawing. You can resaw on these saws up to about 7" (my experience) - and for a long time I didnt do much resawing. Now its a regular occurrence, and there is no substitute for the larger stiffer saw with a good blade and higher hp motor.

Riser blocks are a little bit of a band aid. If resawing is only occasional, and if you can do some cleanup with a planer or sander afterwards - then its a fine approach to take. ($900 isnt a cheap saw! - but thats a nice one and I dont put any particular premium on the brand). I have been happy with all my Grizzly purchases as well.

Prashun Patel
09-20-2012, 10:49 AM
If you are willing to spend close to $1000, then I would consider moving up a class with Grizzly and going for a 2hp+ saw, either 17" or 19".

I would not buy a saw based on how you think you're going to use it unless you've owned one before. When I got one a couple years ago (G0555x) I thought I'd just be cutting curves and wouldn't do resawing. Having the extra capacity to muscle thru thicker stock or green wood has proven very useful, and more safe on my 19" than doing it on my 14".

If you are budget or space or VOLTAGE limited, then I highly suggest the G0555x as yr first saw. It will resell for probably 75% of your purchase price. I wouldn't trick out any bandsaw with a lot of upgrades - except the riser block - if you are thinking to upgrade ever; those accessories don't hold their value, and ultimately, my opinion is it's better to just buy a bigger/better saw. That is not true for everyone - just me.

Eric DeSilva
09-20-2012, 10:54 AM
+1 on what McKay said. I had a PM 14" bandsaw and was never happy with the resawing. Like McKay, I ended up buying the Laguna 14SUV, which is an entirely different beast than most of the 14" saws you see. I couldn't get good resaw results without the 6" riser, so never bothered with getting the riser. For comparative purposes, I sold my PM, which was in great shape, with a rolling base and with 1/8", 1/4", 3/8" and 3/4" (Laguna Resaw King Carbide) blades for $825 after deciding I needed space.

I would note that I believe some of what he is listing is standard with the machine, including the Work lamp, Miter gauge, Carter quick tension release lever and Carter dual bearing blade guides.

Brian Gleason
09-20-2012, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the all the prompt replies. So i'll add to the confusion. I really don't know how much resawing i'll be doing but I suppose if i have the ability i may find reasons to do it. I do plan to use it round blanks for turning, cut curves etc. I am trying to be somewhat frugal and not spend money on more machine than i need. That's why i was considering the G0555LX. Seems to be a good quality saw at a reasonable price and with the addition of a riser block i would have greater resaw capacity if needed. Then since i was "considering" the PM and it was a more powerful saw, i thought perhaps i should consider the G0555X.

So, considering i MAY resaw if the need arises, I will be rounding blanks for turning purposes and, having never owned a bandsaw, I don't really know what i might want to do with it....NOW what do you think. Also, i am typically as tight as the skin on a grape financially so...your thoughts???

Jim Rimmer
09-20-2012, 1:08 PM
I have the G0555X without risers. I resaw with it and it does a great job. Just get good blades and set it up properly. If you don't have Duginski's book, get it (probably best before you buy a saw).
http://www.amazon.com/New-Complete-Guide-Band-Saw/dp/1565233182/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1348160820&sr=1-8&keywords=duginski

Steven Hsieh
09-20-2012, 2:04 PM
You have two options.

Get the G0555LX and put a riser block in it.
1 HP should not have any problems with 6" thick material.
But go slow when cutting
http://www.grizzly.com/products/14-Deluxe-Bandsaw/G0555LX
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Riser-Block-Kit-for-G0555LX/T25555

OR

Get the G0513P. It has 2HP. With 12" maximum cutting height.
It is easier to cut thicker material in the long run.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/17-2-HP-Bandsaw-Polar-Bear-Series-/G0513P

Bill White
09-20-2012, 2:21 PM
My 0555LX has been a good choice for my shop. I'd buy it again in a minute.
Good blades make the saw. Set up was very straight forward.
Bill

Prashun Patel
09-20-2012, 3:05 PM
I got by well with a G0555 for a couple years. It's a fine saw. My only nitpick with it was the bearings and guide system was loud and hard to keep properly aligned. However, when tuned, it worked fine. Rest assured, too that you can sell these pretty easily.

James Conrad
09-20-2012, 3:41 PM
When you buy used, even when they say "Just Like New," are buying someone else's problem. If they never set the machine up right from the start, abused it a little, etc and if you are new to bandsaws and trouble shooting bandsaws don't let your first experience with them be painful. 98% of the time when you buy new, you start from a point where you can learn to set up the saw correctly where the error is something you have done and can be tracked and fixed more easily. Mark Duginkse's books on the Bandsaw are also a good guides.

Stew Hagerty
09-20-2012, 5:23 PM
I have the G0555X and can not recommend it highly enough. I bought it new two years ago and bought the riser at the same time (for the price it seemed a no-brainer). Assembly was a snap. I use Timberwolf blades in it and it has cut everything I've thrown at it without hesitation.

Recently I made some modifications which turned this already very good bandsaw into a GREAT! bandsaw. I added a set of Carter Micro-Adjust guides (my only complaint with the Griz was it's stock guides. Tricky to adjust properly and noisey) as well as a Carter Detensioner and Ratchet Rod.

You can have my Griz bandsaw when you pry it out of my cold dead hands...LOL