PDA

View Full Version : Need some more help

Jeff Wilkins
09-20-2012, 9:20 AM
Okay, I have never done a job where I raster, color fill, reraster, and new color fill. Could someone provide some steps on how to get everything lined back up or what kind of jig to build. Thanks Here is the file. I plan on painting the back of the acrylic white, reverse engraving the "no" sign through the white and vector cutting the circle out. I will then color fill the red for the "no" sign, put it back in the machine, reverse engrave the blue words through the white and red paint and color fill those. I might then spray the entire back with black so you cannot see the differences in color fills behind the white. Again thoughts on jig or setup to make sure everything is aligned. Here is the file I have. Sincerely, Jeff

Ross Moshinsky
09-20-2012, 9:38 AM
I don't know why you're making this harder on yourself. Go sub the job out and have it sublimated or have some "stickers" made and stick it on the back side of the acrylic.

If you really want to do it with your laser, I suggest using 1/32" plastic and using it on the face of the sign. So you'll reverse engrave the red layer into your acrylic as planned. Then on the face use thin plastic and vector cut the letters and then weed. It will look better and probably work a lot better.

Martin Boekers
09-20-2012, 10:16 AM
I don't know why you're making this harder on yourself. Go sub the job out and have it sublimated or have some "stickers" made and stick it on the back side of the acrylic.

If you really want to do it with your laser, I suggest using 1/32" plastic and using it on the face of the sign. So you'll reverse engrave the red layer into your acrylic as planned. Then on the face use thin plastic and vector cut the letters and then weed. It will look better and probably work a lot better.

I forgot about using vinyl and vector Ross, we have many tools but some are better suited than others!

Jeff Wilkins
09-20-2012, 11:11 AM
Can you give me a link to a company to purchase vinyl sheets like you discuss. I like the idea a lot. Thanks

Martin Boekers
09-20-2012, 12:16 PM
I buy sign vinyl fro R&J Signs in St. Louis becuase it's in my area.

There are many companies out there that sell similar this. You may want to
do a quick search in your area.

These guys sell quite a few "unique items" so you may want to check with them.

www.papilio.com/index.html (http://www.papilio.com/index.html)

Ron Hartl
09-20-2012, 12:35 PM
If I were to use the laser for this, I would do the steps as you had listed except I would cut the circle out last. That way you won't have an orientation issue.