PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a new bandmill???

Keith Ratliff
04-14-2005, 6:52 PM
I have been running a old woodmizer. Now it is time to goto a four post model. Does anyone out there know much about these mills and makers?

Steve Clardy
04-14-2005, 7:51 PM
I had a woodmizer. Don't knw much about a four post whatever saw though.
I do know you need a REAL first and last name here to be able to post.

Keith Ratliff
04-14-2005, 9:14 PM
Thanks I added my name to my signature.

lou sansone
04-14-2005, 9:32 PM
hi keith

I happen to like the norwood mills if you don't mind pushing it.

lou

Keith Ratliff
04-14-2005, 10:06 PM
Lou,

Thanks I have looked at them my current mill is a LT20 Mizer....I have it. I push it now and I get good boards but parts are so high and it is at the age when everything seems to be going bad. I was interested in a timber king unit but no one in my area has one that they work on a daily basis.
Thanks
Keith

Steve Clardy
04-15-2005, 1:25 AM
Timberking out of Kansas City? Seen one about five years ago. New demo. Operator couldn't cut a straight line to save his soul. Another guy got up there, had to slow er way down to get a halfway decent cut. I am sure part of it was the blades.
But my ol LT30 could run circles around them guys. Lol

Keith Ratliff
04-15-2005, 1:33 AM
Steve,

Not to say your not a good sawyer but my mizer and the 20 or so others I know of in my area that run more then 1000bd ft daily sag thru out the cut. I only know this because I have milled with mine 4000+ hours over the last 5 years and it only had 300 hours on it when I bought it. As with my friend who own them they saw daily as my crew does and they have the same problems. This seems to show up at or just past 3000 hours of use on the sled. Once you get there let me know. I will be needing a 4 post saw. So if there is anyone out there who owners something other then the over marketed mizer your thoughts are welcome.

lou sansone
04-15-2005, 6:11 AM
hi keith

check out the norwood lumbermate 2000... it is very well built and not that expensive.

lou

Scott Banbury
04-15-2005, 11:52 AM
Steve,

Not to say your not a good sawyer but my mizer and the 20 or so others I know of in my area that run more then 1000bd ft daily sag thru out the cut. I only know this because I have milled with mine 4000+ hours over the last 5 years and it only had 300 hours on it when I bought it. As with my friend who own them they saw daily as my crew does and they have the same problems. This seems to show up at or just past 3000 hours of use on the sled. Once you get there let me know. I will be needing a 4 post saw. So if there is anyone out there who owners something other then the over marketed mizer your thoughts are welcome.

Keith, not to say your not a good equipment keeper but my 1992 LT-30 produces straighter lumber than any four post I've ever seen.

The Woodmizer head is cantilevered and the supporting bearings must be maintained and replaced when necessary. The cantilevered head results in straighter lumber with all other factors equal since it only relies on the straightness of one heavy support beam, rather than the parallelism of two smaller beams.

To consistantly cut straight lumber on a four-post saw, you have to constantly check the level and "wind" of the mill, or set it up on a concrete slab. My mizer will cut straight even if it's still hitched to the truck.

If Mizer owners in your area are really having a problem with their saws "sagging", then I believe a little maintenance as well described in the manual is in order.

:)

Steve Clardy
04-15-2005, 12:18 PM
Steve,

Scotts right on the alignment. Alignment is crucial on a mizer. I usually checked mine every few months.
My bed sagged also. I took it to a welding fab shop and we resupported the underside and brough the sag out of it. It was a 1983 LT30, so after that time it had a right to sag. I cut a lot of oversize, heavy logs on it.
The 1" steel rail under neath was worn real bad when I sold it. When it wears there, it gets out of alignment.
I milled over a million feet with that mill, and am a 1 million bd. ft. woodmizer member. I have a plaque around here somewhere.
I eventually sold it as I didn't have time to build cabinet and staircases, and mill and dry my own lumber. I decided I couldn't or didn't have the time to do it all. It sat the last two years I has it unused. I got an offer on it within $500.00 of what I paid for it, so I sold it. Wish I still had it.

James Carmichael
04-15-2005, 12:19 PM
Great thread, I've been researching various sawmills lately. I doubt if I'll be able to swing a bandmill anytime in the near future, but it's good to hear from folks who have used them.

TimberKing seems very proud of their 4-beam design and their marketing literature takes a none-too-subtle swipe at WoodMizer by pooh-poohing cantilevered power heads. I can see the strengths of both systems. The Woodmizer does look like it would be more accurate but need meticulous care to keep it so.

Scott Banbury
04-15-2005, 12:30 PM
The cantilever is really sweet when it comes to sawing swept, crotch or burled logs where the wood wouldn't fit between posts :)

You know you've got a good product when your competition disses your design in print ;)