PDA

View Full Version : Putting dried lumber back outside

David Peterson
09-19-2012, 4:40 PM
I've got several hundred board feet of black walnut that have been dry and inside for the last decade or so; it's good and cured. But I'm out of space and need to rearrange. Any problems for the wood if I take the whole load and stack it back outside, stickered and top covered. I'm wondering how much moisture the wood will reabsorb after having had such a comfortable resting place all these years.

eugene thomas
09-19-2012, 5:51 PM
I think at $5 bf would not do that.

Kevin Bourque
09-19-2012, 5:53 PM
It won't absorb any more moisture than whatever the relative humidity is in your area. When you plan on using it just bring it inside for a few weeks to get it back to normal.

John Shuk
09-19-2012, 6:09 PM
I agree with Eugene.

Sam Murdoch
09-19-2012, 6:28 PM
It's not just that you will introduce moisture but also mold, nesting mice and other critters, and potential other moisture related rot. Once you sticker and cover you will not be inclined to inspect or restack this valuable lumber periodically. Can't you build a rack to hang it from your ceiling? It would be a shame to put it outside.

David Peterson
09-19-2012, 7:26 PM
I'm going to need a bigger ceiling, Sam - the wood is already hung high and dry in my basement. Now if I could just convince my wife to leave her car outside, there's a world of possible storage in the garage!
By the initial reactions here, I should leave it inside after all. Thanks for confirming what I thought all along.

Dave Zellers
09-19-2012, 7:39 PM
By the initial reactions here, I should leave it inside after all. Thanks for confirming what I thought all along.
Yep. Put your tools outside and leave the wood inside. :D

Mel Fulks
09-19-2012, 7:59 PM
Air dried is always going to move more than kiln dried.I think outside under cover would be fine ,not as sure about tarp.

david brum
09-19-2012, 8:13 PM
I want to be the first to volunteer a spot in my garage for your walnut. : )

David Peterson
09-19-2012, 8:30 PM
If you want to make space in your garage for wifey's car, you're on! Although,,, tough commute by the looks of it.

glenn bradley
09-19-2012, 10:28 PM
Now if I could just convince my wife to leave her car outside, there's a world of possible storage in the garage!

Holy Cow! There's a car in your shop!?! What happened? Did some drunk plow through the wall!?! Call the Police!!!

Speaking of the police, just move your wood outside and then post your address here. Your problem will soon be solved ;-))

Scott T Smith
09-19-2012, 11:20 PM
David, you can store it safely outside, but as others have said it will equalize with it's environment. For New York state, that is probably around 12%MC, give or take.
When you bring it back inside for a project, give yourself a few weeks of aclimization time.

If you have to move it, it would be best stored in some type of shed that will keep the rain and snow off of it. As long as it is fully enclosed, you can dry stack it safely since water won't penetrate the layers.

Definitely stay away from tarps, etc, as they trap moisture which would not be good.... If you have to store it in a location that may experience snow or blowing rain wetting the boards, then it would be best to sticker so that any moisture trapped between the layers can evaporate back out.

David Peterson
09-20-2012, 7:31 AM
Thanks for that, Scott. An outdoor shed or a small barn is in my dreams but not on my property. Either one would solve all my storage issues. If the wood goes out it would be stacked along with some other wood that I have drying out back. It would be stickered and top covered with corrugated, sides open to the elements.

Dave Nanke
09-20-2012, 1:14 PM
Wow - several hundred board feet of walnut? If you've been storing it for 10 years - do you have plans to use it in the future? Have you considered selling it? I know how difficult that can be, especially if you've had it for that long. But selling it would reduce the stress of wondering if it's OK outside.