PDA

View Full Version : How would you do this?

Jeff Wilkins
09-19-2012, 1:30 PM
I was asked to make some signs for our school. Any thoughts on what you would do to make this? I remade it in corel to the following. I cut it out, painted the circle black, the semi circles white and the NO part red and then layered them. Black circle on bottom, and the other two pieces on top. I then painted white circle for the inserts of letters like d, P, b, a, e etc... Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Martin Boekers
09-19-2012, 1:34 PM
Do you do Dye Sub? Are these interior only?

Mike Null
09-19-2012, 1:44 PM
Jeff

the laser is not the ideal machine for this job. Marty's idea of dye sub or other printing method is far more economical and lasting.

Jeff Wilkins
09-19-2012, 2:12 PM
We do not have dye sublimation capabilities. They currently have signs printed and laminated and taped on the wall. They wanted something a little more permanant.

Glen Monaghan
09-19-2012, 2:26 PM
If you really want to laser cut it, you could paint the back of a clear acrylic piece white, reverse engrave the "no" symbol through the white and fill with red paint, then reverse engrave the words and fill with black. Just be aware that acrylic can be scratched and scored fairly easily, and school kids are notorious for vandalizing such signs.

-Glen

AL Ursich
09-19-2012, 2:41 PM
Sub the job to someone who does Sublimation and do it in .030 White Aluminum. Order a double batch and keep the spare for the reorder....

For the Schools IF I had a say.... I would make each student sign a legal document and have it placed in His or Her Record with the Rules of Camera Phone Use. Call it a "Camera Permit" Refuse to sign, no Phone Camera... I would also charge a fee to the "Permit". Use it for a good cause.

Martin Boekers
09-19-2012, 3:11 PM
There is a hardboard stock that Conde sell that I use quite a bit, but it's Dye Sub, it's about an 1/8" thick and cuts easily to shapes with the laser.

Another Choice if you have access to a color copier or laser printer and a heat press is Magic Touch transfer paper. Many use Magic Touch here.

www.themagictouchusa.com/ (http://www.themagictouchusa.com/)

Heck for that matter buy some printable vinyl sheets and mount it to whatever substrate you need. I use printable vinyl from time to time
it may be perfect for what you need.

Jim Dawson
09-19-2012, 3:59 PM
I would reverse print decals so they have a sticky face and apply to the back of acrylic.

Jeff Wilkins
09-19-2012, 7:17 PM
You guys give some great ideas. Glen, I thought of that method but went another route just because of time. I would estimate it would take about 10 min per pass to engrave, so 20 min total, where I can vector cut everything in 3 mins. Al I agree with you on the permit, but we have 2900 kids in our building, and keeping track would be almost impossible, unless we had them put a sticker or something on the phone which might not be a bad idea. Jim, how would you then attach it to a wall? Again thanks for all of the input!

George Carlson
09-20-2012, 10:30 AM
I would use cut vinyl. But the sign doesn't make any sense, it's a double negative. Is it "No Picture Taking" or it is NO to "No Picture Taking"? The kids will pick up on that very quickly.

Jeff Wilkins
09-20-2012, 11:19 AM
I agree but that is what my admin wants.

Jim Dawson
09-20-2012, 11:57 AM
You guys give some great ideas. Glen, I thought of that method but went another route just because of time. I would estimate it would take about 10 min per pass to engrave, so 20 min total, where I can vector cut everything in 3 mins. Al I agree with you on the permit, but we have 2900 kids in our building, and keeping track would be almost impossible, unless we had them put a sticker or something on the phone which might not be a bad idea. Jim, how would you then attach it to a wall? Again thanks for all of the input!

holes top and bottom for anchors, or 2 sided VHB tape.