PDA

View Full Version : Bradford Pear...Gourd Jug Thing?

Jeremy Leasure
09-19-2012, 1:12 PM
Was going to buff this up as per usual procedure but I like the way it feels at 220 grit with some BLO. Very gourdy. Had a few cracks open up while hollowing. Filled them with malachite but they don't really show up in the photos. They look pretty cool though.

9" x 7" Bradford Pear

http://i.imgur.com/b9vmi.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/YNgHP.jpg

Jim Burr
09-19-2012, 1:14 PM
That's a great form Jeremy!! Malachite maybe a little bright for that...but maybe not!

charlie knighton
09-19-2012, 2:33 PM
nice bp, its pretty green, watch the inside as it dries, very nice form

Ken Glass
09-19-2012, 5:39 PM
Jeremy,
That is a very nice: (I'm going to call it a vase.) I like the shape and you seem to have gotten it fairly thin too. Not always easy with that profile. Well Done.

Thom Sturgill
09-19-2012, 8:51 PM
I believe that would be called a calabash. Nice form.

Tony Pridmore
09-19-2012, 9:07 PM
Really nice form. Bradford Pear is my favorite local wood for turning.

Bernie Weishapl
09-19-2012, 9:49 PM
Great form and finish Jeremy.

Kathy Marshall
09-19-2012, 10:51 PM
Very nice Jeremy! Great form and nice wood too.

Thomas Canfield
09-19-2012, 11:00 PM
That is a nice deep hollow form. The light/dark wood looks like some I got from a neighbor that had a mostly dead tree that had been hit by lightning. That was my first experience with dead or partially dead/live wood and it was interesting to turn. Usually the BP is soaking wet since trees are cut down after damage by wind storms.

Faust M. Ruggiero
09-20-2012, 7:55 AM
Jeremy,
Isn't Bradford Pear a sweet wood to turn? Don't rush to finish it because it will become a rich brown color as it dries. Very nice shape in this vase. I'm sure you had to finish the inside an inch at a time as you hollowed. By the way, next time you hollow really wet wood to a thin wall, try wrapping stretch wrap around while you are hollowing the inside. It keeps the outside from losing moisture too quickly and the resulting cracks. It also might prevent the piece flying apart in the case of a bad catch (who ever gets that bad a catch)?

Dick Gerard
09-20-2012, 12:03 PM
Where do you all get pear wood? Here in Indiana, pear is an ornamental and the trunks are usually only 4 inches diameter max. Or maybe I'm just not lookinn in the right places?