PDA

View Full Version : First Aid kits for the shop

Reed Gray
09-19-2012, 12:32 PM
A post on another forum about having to wear the kid's Hello Kitty band aids for cuts bought up some thing I have wondered about for years, and that is what should we have on hand for a first aid kit for the shop?

robo hippy

Richard Jones
09-19-2012, 1:26 PM
Reed,

As far as must-haves: I keep some Celox and big feminine pads for clotting................silver sulfadiazine for burns, along with the usual variety of band-aids, etc. Good tweezers, magnifying glass. Duct tape, of course. CA is always there anyway, so really not in my kit. I have a sink in the shop, so I don't have any eye wash per se, but probably should. Ice packs in the freezer just in case I need to chill a body part.........God forbid.

Excellent thread.

Rich

daniel lane
09-19-2012, 2:09 PM
FWW had a good article last year by an ER doc that gave a list and some advice. (Subscription required, but you can find it here (http://www.finewoodworking.com/Workshop/WorkshopPDF.aspx?id=33750).) The short of it was this list:

1. Coban tape
2. Glue syringe
3. Eye wash
4. Tegaderm bandages
5. Band-Aids
6. Examination gloves
7. Magnifying lens
8. Steri-Strips
9. X-Acto knife
10. Krazy Glue
11. Scissors
12. Tape
13. Tweezers

He also gave pretty good advice as to how to use each piece, and when to go to the doctor. If you don't subscribe, it might be worth the free trial to get to it and a couple of other articles.

daniel

Josh Bowman
09-19-2012, 4:07 PM
After a good friend of mine cut some of his fingers off, I have had and used:o this kit: It's got most stuff if you deeply cut something or cut a finger off!!! It's about 24 bucks, I keep it mounted to the wall above the sink.

50 Person Bulk ANSI Kit Item: 225-AN

Extra large, 50 Person, Bulk ANSI First Aid Kit, plastic case
This 193-piece first aid kit is ideal for contractors, fleet vehicles, work sites or small companies with up to 50 employees. It meets federal OSHA recommendations and carries 20 critical products. The plastic case, with slanted, spill-proof dividers is wall mountable yet has a handle for easy carrying. This kit meets ANSI Z308.1-2003 requirements.

Kit Dimensions: 10-3/4"x11-1/4"x3"
http://www.cpr-savers.com/picturesweb/IndusFAK/225-ANt.gif

Alan Trout
09-19-2012, 4:26 PM
Super Glue and paper towel:) anything I cant take care of with that, they better be calling an ambulance.

Alan

Ken Glass
09-19-2012, 5:35 PM
Reed,
I have the same one Josh has. It is very complete, but much short for an amputation.

Eric DeSilva
09-19-2012, 6:42 PM
One thing I've found handy for splinters is a pack of MEDIpoint Splinter-Outs. I'd put some of those in a shop first aid kit.

Harry Robinette
09-19-2012, 7:21 PM
I have no idea how but I just looked for my first aid kit and can't find it. Waiting for LOML to get home and see what's up.I didn't have a very big one but enough to stop bleeding and fix a cut,but it's not going to help me much right now.

Gary Max
09-19-2012, 8:32 PM
Super Glue and paper towel:) anything I cant take care of with that, they better be calling an ambulance.

Alan

Dang Alan ----you beat me to it.

Bernie Weishapl
09-19-2012, 9:52 PM
I also have the same kit as Josh mentioned. Has come in handy a couple of times.

Jerry Thompson
09-19-2012, 9:58 PM
I am a Reg Nurse with 35 years behind ne. When I am injured I scream and jump up and down until my wife shows up.:)

Kathy Marshall
09-19-2012, 10:34 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Alan Trouthttp://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1982018#post1982018)Super Glue and paper towel:) anything I cant take care of with that, they better be calling an ambulance.

Alan

Dang Alan ----you beat me to it.

You forgot the blue painters tape to hold the paper towel on ;). It's come in handy a time or two.

Jim Burr
09-19-2012, 10:46 PM
FWW had a good article last year by an ER doc that gave a list and some advice. (Subscription required, but you can find it here (http://www.finewoodworking.com/Workshop/WorkshopPDF.aspx?id=33750).) The short of it was this list:

1. Coban tape
2. Glue syringe
3. Eye wash
4. Tegaderm bandages
5. Band-Aids
6. Examination gloves
7. Magnifying lens
8. Steri-Strips
9. X-Acto knife
10. Krazy Glue
11. Scissors
12. Tape
13. Tweezers

With;
10ML 2%Lidocaine
Skin stapler
Shears
clamps
#10 scalpel
tourniquets
Curlex roll 2 & 4"
inflatable splint
bulb suction
anesthesia mask
suture kits x3
12ga 3" IV needle

Vince Welch
09-19-2012, 11:17 PM
Hi Reed,
While there are many things that should/could be in a first aid kit the one thing that I always have in the shop with me...close by and always in the very same place is a telephone!!! Should something happen I may only have seconds/minutes to reach out for help. I need to have a phone close by living alone as I do! Vince

Les Williams
09-20-2012, 10:59 AM
I am a Reg Nurse with 35 years behind ne. When I am injured I scream and jump up and down until my wife shows up.:)

So true:)!

Brian Tymchak
09-20-2012, 11:24 AM
I started this thread a couple years ago that might offer more info.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?136156-recommendations-for-first-aid-kits&highlight (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?136156-recommendations-for-first-aid-kits&highlight)=

Reed Gray
09-20-2012, 12:13 PM
Gee Brian, I must not have seen that thread, or forgot about it. I did have an old machine shop guy tell me to keep a magnet handy for small steel filings in the eyes. Never had that happen, but it seems to make some sense.

Thanks for the responses. A lot to think about. Now, where do I pick up all the assorted parts for my personal kit? Will you find them at the local department stores, or is a specialty store better?

robo hippy

Brian Tymchak
09-20-2012, 12:47 PM
I hate to admit it but I never compiled my first aid kit after posting the question. something I need to get back to... I've actually spent very little time in the shop over the last couple years, just a few hours here and there to get something with the house fixed. some of the items people suggested are available at the local CVS, etc. Amazon has the Isreali Battle Dressing (izzy) that someone mentioned.

Kyle Iwamoto
09-20-2012, 1:00 PM
One thing no one else mentioned. Inventory your kit(s) every now and again. Band-aids and tape have a shelf life and become useless items after several years have passed..... When they get old toss the kit and get a new one. Even Neosporin gets old.For me, I try to prevent accidents, so absolute rule #1: NO BEER / ALCOHOL in the shop. So far I've avoided major injuries. Knock on wood. Hope to keep it that way.Be safe everyone!

Jim Burr
09-20-2012, 5:29 PM
Gee Brian, I must not have seen that thread, or forgot about it. I did have an old machine shop guy tell me to keep a magnet handy for small steel filings in the eyes. Never had that happen, but it seems to make some sense.

Thanks for the responses. A lot to think about. Now, where do I pick up all the assorted parts for my personal kit? Will you find them at the local department stores, or is a specialty store better?

robo hippy

Let me know what you are looking for Reed...I no doubt have dozens of them around the house.

Steve bellinger
09-20-2012, 7:41 PM
Well i don't keep anything in the shop,as the shop is only about 15 steps from the house. As far as maybe cutting off a finger or something, it really don't do much good having a first aid kit. Yes i can votch for that as i've cut off the tips of two on different times. first time was just under the first knuckle, and the secound time was just half way of the finger nail. It really don't hurt as much as you would think it would as your adrenaline is way up at that time. Now the next day is a different story.:)

George Morris
09-20-2012, 9:04 PM
Remember for a serous burn where you are going to the hospital do not put anything on it but cool water and sterile dressing. if you put a burn spray on they may have to remove it at the hospital.
I have a wall hung commercial first aid box and some extra wound stoppers and cling.

Don McClure
09-21-2012, 8:33 PM
Just a short story about the value of having a cell phone handy. We live out in the country fairly isolated. Four years ago while my wife was 3+ hrs. away I was climbing on the roof of my barn/workshop to seal a leak in the roof when the extehsion ladder went out from under me. I fell about 20 ft onto the gravel drive tangeled up with the ladder. Apparently I was unconsious for some time but when I came to not much was working right. Among other things I had an open fracture of my right elbow, a large gash in my forehead and looked and felt like I had been run over by a train. Somewhow I managed to get the phone out of my pocket with my one working arm and dialed my wife on the road telling her I had had a "small" accident. Being a nurse she could easily tell I wasn't quite with the program and kept me on the line wile she called the EMS. After several days in the hospital and surgery I was happily home again... but she has since taken the ladder away from me. So a cell phone is very important!

Lee Koepke
09-21-2012, 8:36 PM
i do have, in addition to some of the suggestions above, saline solution in a spray bottle. That, some gauze, and a band-aid is (luckily) the only thing I have required.

Beer.....the only tool I use with beer is my broom!

Denny Rice
09-26-2012, 9:55 PM
Johnson and Johnson 8162. Its has 225 pieces in it and a nice all around shop first aid kit, there was a couple things missing that I thought it should have. The thing I like about mine is that it comes in a metal box that mounts to the wall and the lid will serve as a small table if need be. Haven't had to use it yet except for a small band-aid or two.

William Bachtel
09-27-2012, 12:39 PM
Before the First Aid Kit, BRAINS

Mike Peace
09-27-2012, 4:56 PM
With;

Skin stapler
#10 scalpel
suture kits x3
12ga 3" IV needle

Those items are way past my skill level. The paper towel roll and duct tape and a phone I can handle.