PDA

View Full Version : yet another cross cut sled build

Andrew Howe
09-18-2012, 9:54 PM
Hi all,

Well, I can finally cut a 90 degree angle.
Just thought I would post my first functional crosscut sled. I followed several designs from the web and this forum. This is a large one, 33" capacity by about 35".
I still need to make some additional hold downs and the angle brackets so I can cut cross cut angles.
Some things I did wrong with this design.
1. I cut the rear fence off exactly at the base of the sled, I should have just extended it and not cut it off
2. the adjustable fence slots should be extended so that they are closer to the front
3. I cut the base of the adjustable fence slot for the t-bolts a bit too wide on the underside of the sled.
Other than that, it is slick..... all my 90 degree angles are 90 degrees.....and my cuts are not wavy....
now my cabinet carts builds can proceed so I can tame the mess in the shop. I hate the clutter you see in the background.

Kevin Presutti
09-18-2012, 10:03 PM
Looks very nice Andrew. Well done!

joe milana
09-18-2012, 10:04 PM
Well done. When I make a jig, I like to slap one together (accurately of course) using MDF & scrap wood & use it for a while. Helps me decide what I really want for my final design.

Sam Layton
09-18-2012, 11:20 PM
Andrew,

That is a great looking cross cut sled. One thing I would add, if you don't mind me saying. I would put an adhesive back sand paper strip on the face of the fence. I have the adhesive backed sand paper on all of my Cross cut stuff, and it really works good to keep things form slipping.

Good job, Sam

phil harold
09-19-2012, 7:10 AM
Nice!
How wide a board @90° can you cut with your crosscut sled?

Joseph Tarantino
09-19-2012, 7:38 AM
nice build with my kind of capacity. i stopped at 26" but, hey, more is always better. should make future cabinet builds easier. mine did for me.

Kent A Bathurst
09-19-2012, 7:52 AM
Some things I did wrong with this design.
1. I cut the rear fence off exactly at the base of the sled, I should have just extended it and not cut it off

Looks great, Andrew.

I'm not following your point above.......what benefit is gained by having the back fence extend beyond the sled base? Can't get my hands around that one...........

Brian Kincaid
09-19-2012, 9:51 AM
Love the custom hold-down too! That is a great way to spend some time on the bandsaw with a little scrap wood :)
-Brian

Patrick McCarthy
09-19-2012, 11:11 AM
Kent, i think he means there is no room for a blade guard - - it comes spinning at speed thru the back fence and close to you and your hands, etc.

Floyd Mah
09-19-2012, 11:23 AM
Looks like you put a lot of effort into this project. I have a few suggestions. As Kent noticed, the sled seems overly deep. This can cause a balance problem unless you always use a large outfeed table. You certainly don't want to be struggling or trying to balance a large crosscut sled with the blade spinning. Similarly, can you reach the on-off switch easily with the sled in position, both at the beginning of the cut or at the end of the cut? You don't want to be taking your eyes off the top of the tablesaw at any time when you have your hands at the level of the table surface.

I don't see that you've made any provisions for some type of blade guard. I know that this may be difficult to implement, but besides protecting your fingers, an uncovered blade will be spitting a lot of material into the air, possible obscuring your ability to observe the progress of the cut.

Lastly, do you love your thumbs? I think an exit guard for the blade is absolutely essential for a crosscut sled. Keeping in mind that you have a large sled, it may be difficult to remember that your thumbs are probably among your most favorite digits while you are balancing the sled. It only takes a fraction of a second of inattention to slice off your thumb. I can imagine a few scenarios where you would endanger your hands if you operate the sled without the exit guard.

glenn bradley
09-19-2012, 11:25 AM
Looks great, Andrew.

I'm not following your point above.......what benefit is gained by having the back fence extend beyond the sled base? Can't get my hands around that one...........

Kent, i think he means there is no room for a blade guard - - it comes spinning at speed thru the back fence and close to you and your hands, etc.

Great looking sled. I have a few that I use one of (at least) on nearly every project. You can always attach a "dummy" block if your blade comes out the back of your fence; I can't quite tell from the pics if you took care of that or not:

Kent A Bathurst
09-19-2012, 1:30 PM
Oh - OK - now I get it. thanks Glenn + Patrick.

Andrew Howe
09-19-2012, 10:39 PM
I set it for 33" capacity. I know it is big, but I want to make some workshop cabinets and I needed something pretty large. One thinv that helps.bb is the cold.rolled steel bar, very strong and precise.
The next one will be smaller
Nice!
How wide a board @90° can you cut with your crosscut sled?

Andrew Howe
09-19-2012, 10:43 PM
On the left side of the fence if you afe using it to make a cut, if it extended beyond the plywood base about 6" , it may add some additional stability to long boards you are cross cutting

Looks great, Andrew.

Andrew Howe
09-19-2012, 10:55 PM
Yes I did make a an exit guard, i thinking of gluing a thin piece of aluminum as an additional.safety feature.
Blade guard I am thinking of some plexiglass on a hinge.
You may not see it but I built an outfeed table a while back so I am.ok there, although I do have to reach down to furn it on so I will be cautious.

Looks like you put a lot of effort into this project. I have a few suggestions. As Kent noticed, the sled seems overly deep. This can cause a balance problem unless you always use a large outfeed table. You certainly don't want to be struggling or trying to balance a large crosscut sled with the blade spinning. Similarly, can you reach the on-off switch easily with the sled in position, both at the beginning of the cut or at the end of the cut? You don't want to be taking your eyes off the top of the tablesaw at any time when you have your hands at the level of the table surface.

I don't see that you've made any provisions for some type of blade guard. I know that this may be difficult to implement, but besides protecting your fingers, an uncovered blade will be spitting a lot of material into the air, possible obscuring your ability to observe the progress of the cut.

Lastly, do you love your thumbs? I think an exit guard for the blade is absolutely essential for a crosscut sled. Keeping in mind that you have a large sled, it may be difficult to remember that your thumbs are probably among your most favorite digits while you are balancing the sled. It only takes a fraction of a second of inattention to slice off your thumb. I can imagine a few scenarios where you would endanger your hands if you operate the sled without the exit guard.

Kent A Bathurst
09-20-2012, 11:15 AM
On the left side of the fence if you afe using it to make a cut, if it extended beyond the plywood base about 6" , it may add some additional stability to long boards you are cross cutting

OK - I'm with you. Thanks.

You did a nice job........much better than the 2 I made dog years ago.........they work fine for me - I only need them occasionally to square up small table top glue-ups. But - if i ever need and new one, I'm going to follow your lead.

Although.........I can bury some tee-track in my back rail, and I have a wide inventory of knobs and bolts and even some spare track laying around..........mebbe I'll put that feature on mine the next time I drag it out...Hmmmmm..........

thanks again...

BTW - if I may - where in Metro Atlanta is you? I am near the intersection of LIndbergh + P'tree................

Michael W. Clark
09-20-2012, 1:24 PM
although I do have to reach down to furn it on so I will be cautious.

Looks great Andrew and I think it will be great for large case pieces. Regarding turning the saw off, I made a hinged kick board. The board is attached above the magnetic switch to a hinge. It comes down over the on/off switch an rests on top of the stop button. There is a cut-out in the board for access to the on button. It requires you to deliberately press the on button and allows you to kick the board with a knee or foot to turn off the saw if you need to while keeping your hands and eyes on the table. It is positioned so when ripping, all I have to do is lean against it to turn off the saw. I would not be without it.

Mike