PDA

View Full Version : Jointer Fence Issue - Delta DJ-30

James Conrad
09-18-2012, 3:55 PM
Ok, I am about at my wits end with this issue. I recently noticed work coming off my DJ-30 not being square like it use to when run up against the fence, so while trying to reset everything I notice that when I give full tightening the fence cants pulling the bottom of the fence to the back of the machine / top forward and out of square. I checked all the bolts to make sure they were tight, reset the fence several times trying to compensate for this, but it just won't get to where I want it. I removed the locking bolt and used a clamp to tighten and the same issue occurs, so I think it has something to do with how these surfaces mate but for the life of me cannot figure out how to fix this.

Any thoughts would be helpful, I'll try and post some pictures in a little bit if it would help.

JC

Mel Fulks
09-18-2012, 4:25 PM
Nothing unusual, Ihave used some terrific machines that tended to drop while tightening. On most things it really does not make much difference. As several members have posted before, when you are jointing boards that will be edge glued together ,mark the face sides and positions then do one face out, one face in. Where you really need 90 degree accuracy try a wood wedge with some double faced tape .Adding larger washers or rubber washers might help some. If the machine out feed table is the right height and the tables parallel you can do some good work.

James Conrad
09-18-2012, 4:56 PM
Thanks Mel, I just like not having to fiddle with my machines to get them to do what I want, but I will try some new washers and maybe some thin metal shims to see if I can narrow it down more. Never use to have this issue.

Below the fence stays square at the stop, through most of locking it down:
, but on the last quarter turn to snug it up, el gap-o
Just a pic showing the fence tilt locking handle on the right and setup.

Butch Edwards
09-18-2012, 5:01 PM
that would be aggrivating to say the least...Mels recommendations are great advice... I have a 1940s model Cresent Rockwell whos fence is warped and needs re-ground..but it still does an excellent job like it is !! Hope you get the bugs worked out!

David Kumm
09-18-2012, 6:26 PM
does locking it down cause the fence to lift a little and allow the bottom to slide back? That big jointer should be better than most at returning to 90. My dj 20 is finicky but I don't know if your mechanism is the same. Dave

James Conrad
09-18-2012, 8:00 PM
Hi Dave,
No, the fence does not lift on lock down, just cants. I'll probably break it down this week.

Damon Stathatos
09-18-2012, 8:44 PM
I'm not sure what the locking mechanics are specifically on your jointer. If it's a 'screw' with its head tightening into a shaft or plate which establishes the lock, sometimes, from previous tightenings, you can create a divot or wear spot there. By tightening on your last turn, you may be forcing yourself back into that previously established divot or wear spot, throwing it away from its current position slightly...just a long distance guess.

joe milana
09-18-2012, 9:58 PM
My PM fence does the same thing. It has a cam locking device. I had to adjust it "past square" with the stop screw, then allow it to "self adjust" to square when I tighten the locking device. Took a bit of trial & error to get it right.

Chris Rosenberger
09-18-2012, 10:02 PM
Have you tried readjusting the 90 degree stop?

Thomas Hotchkin
09-18-2012, 11:02 PM
James
On my Delta J-20 I found a little wood dust and dirt was causing fence to be come misaligned when fully tighten. Tom

James Conrad
09-18-2012, 11:23 PM
Thanks all for the suggestions, and yes, I have reset the stop and tried to adjust to compensate without the desired result.

For the locking mechanics, if you look at the last picture I posted you can see the black locking lever on the right and directly opposite it you can just see the sliver end of the cap nut which is attached to a threaded shaft. I took that out of equation and just used a clamp with the same result, thinking there was something in that setup causing the issue. Breaking it down, cleaning and checking for wear will have to be the call for tomorrow. Any other thoughts on this are welcome!

Gary Pennington
09-19-2012, 7:21 AM
FWIW, my Griz GO586 does exactly the same thing. Every time the fence needs to be resquared to the table I have to tweak the position a couple times to get it clamped square. Hoping your solution works for me.

Gary

Gregory King
09-19-2012, 7:29 AM
James, you said that "you recently noticed" that it was out of alignment which senses that something is wearing, as it is getting worse, probably. Damon is most likely right on target, as there is a surface that is wearing from repeated use and lock down. A surface needs grinding or shimmed to compensate for wear, no doubt. Ideally, if one could compare all of the compnents with an identical unit, then the wear point would stick out like a sore thumb. If the jointer gives you any more grief, send me a PM, and I'll give her a new home. Greg

jim gossage
09-19-2012, 7:46 AM
Same thing on my yorkcraft jointer. IMO, the problem is that these mechanisms are not really designed for precision locking, which is a design flaw since perpendicular edges are a key task for a jointer.

James Conrad
09-19-2012, 10:34 AM
HA! Greg, you are too generous, it should be at your door next week. I wouldn't mind a trip up your way to visit some friends.

OK, after much cleaning, inspecting and fidgeting I have tracked the problem down to where the slotted adjustment arm mates to the mounting block. Upon tightening the arm touches the back of the block first and full snug forces the arm to pivot when mating to the front surface causing the problem. I have a few shims stuck in place for now until I finish this job, and have time to take it down all the way and true up the surfaces.

Thanks for the help!

David Kumm
09-19-2012, 11:41 AM
Thanks, Jim. I suspect my dj 20 suffers from a similar problem. I know I always use a square to return it and use another jointer for angles so I will have to do what you are proposing. Dave

James Conrad
09-19-2012, 12:20 PM
Dave, This is where I placed the shims. Hope it works for you.