PDA

View Full Version : Leather Tool Belt Recommendation

Brett Bobo
09-18-2012, 3:07 PM
I may be in the minority here about my preference to wear a tool belt in the shop versus an apron or a minimalist approach. I'm one of those that likes to carry everything on me around the shop and use the tool belt outside of the shop for home renovations or installs. The tool belt I currently have is a leather AWP five bag (I think, maybe seven) belt from the BORG but it doesn't seem to be quite large enough for some of the larger items I carry such as a 6" double square, bevel gauge, 6" rulers, torpedo level, etc. Also, not that I carry a hammer often but the hammer holder being on the side of the belt is a nuisance as compared to the back. The tool belt itself, however, has held up very well so I've considered the larger AWP version for ~$80 as the upgrade but I'm open to options. I know there much more expensive tool belts out there, like Occidental Leather, but for my uses, I'm not sure the cost is justified--I can be persuaded, though!

What are your recommendations? Thanks in advance!

Brett

Todd Burch
09-18-2012, 3:20 PM
I may be in the minority here about my preference to wear a tool belt in the shop versus an apron or even nothing at all.

Well, I was going to invite myself up for a "creeker visit", but now I'm not so sure!!! I guess I had better phone first, eh? LOL

Todd

Brett Bobo
09-18-2012, 3:34 PM
Hey Todd,
That's too funny! Touche, you got me! That's one of those things that is inherently understood in context but comes off completely different if you read it literally! Let me quickly revise the original post...

Kevin Presutti
09-18-2012, 3:58 PM
Brett,
Try this http://toolbeltstore.com/ . I just bought the belt and suspenders. I found a guy on ebay that had Calmax Leather bags, I emailed him and he sent me an invoice for less than $20.00 shipped to my house for a pair. He had a bunch and was clearing out. I too hate the hammer hook on the bag, I have a real nice one I use in the back. Gatorback has a bunch of add ons, it might be what you're looking for. The quality seems good, much better than AWP IMHO, and the suspenders are FABULOUS! Good Luck!

James Conrad
09-18-2012, 4:14 PM
The best set of bags I have ever owned is Occidental Leather, I think my set is called the Pro Framer, but they have several configurations. Have had mine for 12 years now and still going strong. Spend the cash, you won't regret it.

http://www.bestbelt.com/tool_belts.php?cat_ID=24

Fred Belknap
09-18-2012, 4:30 PM
Brett I have a set of Occidental bags with belt and the whole works. When I worked I wore the belt with one bag, hammer holder and tape pocket. I also used suspenders to take the load off my hips. The other bag I kept around for times when I needed to carry more. My reason for the more expensive tool belt was the others I could get soon came unsewed. I have had the Occidental for at least 20 years and it is still good.

Brett Bobo
09-18-2012, 5:00 PM
James and Fred,
Unfortunately, there's one supplier for Occidental Leather here in Houston and they don't carry any in stock or even display models. I was hoping to look at them in person before pulling the trigger on a pricey item like this since they do have several variations of the pro framer, a carpenter's version, and a trimmer's version. Plus, there's not a very good description of the differences on their website, just photos primarily.

Which model number would you go with today?

Thanks for the input,
Brett

James Conrad
09-18-2012, 5:20 PM
I always like to get hands on too, so I understand that, Occidentals website lists 2 dealers in the Houston area if that helps. But, I don't think you will be disappointed site unseen. I have the Pro Framer 5080 version and it has taken me from framing, trimming and even shop use now, never felt I was missing anything in the set and they have been used hard. The carpenter version bags are built into the belt, which I don't like as you can't move them around or remove a side, etc. If you are just going to use them in the shop, the trimmer setup will probably be just fine, otherwise the Pro Framer will do it all. I just remove one side when I am in the shop, which is most of the time now. They will be a little stiff at first, but they soften up quick with use.

Good luck!
JC

Fred Belknap
09-18-2012, 7:07 PM
I have no idea about the # on mine. IIRC there was only one version when I got it. The bags are separate from the belt. One side has a large bag with a smaller bag attached to it with places for pencil and chisels and small stuff. It is the one I use most. The suspenders didn't come with it.

Larry Edgerton
09-18-2012, 9:11 PM
I don't like Occidental Leather, too heavy. I tried Duluth Trading, worst designed pouches ever and a waste of $180. Have tried several others. I have always gone back to my old standby Nickelson pouches after every one I try. Good layout, light, and sturdy.

But pouches are like pants, no one likes the same thing.

Larry

Brett Bobo
09-18-2012, 10:43 PM
Larry,
Are you referring to Mcguire-Nicholas? If not, where can I find them online?
Thanks,
Brett

Steve Rozmiarek
09-19-2012, 12:01 AM
Brett, I use a Occidental Leather OxyLights Framer, follow link for that beast. Also with their suspenders. Like Larry, I didn't want super heavy, so the nylon is lighter supposedly. It's still a big bag, and while I personally wouldn't wear it while woodworking, it would work well for it. Amazon is where I got mine, and you would be happy with the quality.

http://www.bestbelt.com/product.php?sku=8086&type=

Mike Cozad
09-19-2012, 2:06 AM
If you feel the need to be prepared for anything maybe this is the set for you. Its a little spendy but you might even be able to get a 12 pack of soda in there.....

http://m.duluthtrading.com/store/product/91159.aspx?kw=Occidental%20Leather&processor=content

phil harold
09-19-2012, 7:00 AM
I love my Oxy's
Mine are more like the '8582 - FatLip™ Tool Bag' leather trim nylon bags almost 20 years old

Patrick McCarthy
09-19-2012, 11:18 AM
Doing my remodel I was going to get the Occidental bags, but "cheaped out" and got some soft ones thru McFeeley's. They are okay, some problems with one of the rivets catching my thumb nail as i reached in to grab nails or screws, but i have always regretted (and still do, even though the remodel is almost done) not getting the Occi's. By now they would have just been getting broken in.

Brett Bobo
09-19-2012, 11:38 AM
Thanks for all of the input--Occidental appears to be the favorite and the cadillac of tool belts.

One more question...what side of the belt do you prefer your tape to be on? I'm right handed and find myself reaching with my left hand to pull it out and place it back in. In the "framer" series, it looks like the #5087 bag is the only one with the tape holder on the left side of the belt. Just another reason I'd like to get my hands on one to get a feel of some of these differences and what feels best.

Greg Portland
09-19-2012, 1:05 PM
I've owned some Graber leather tool belts & pouches for about 3-4 years now. I bought them when LeeValley carried them but they seemed to have dropped that line. Anyway, I've been very pleased with them for my use (home repair, some shop use). They might be worth looking at if Occidental doesn't have the config you're looking for.

Larry Edgerton
09-19-2012, 5:42 PM
Larry,
Are you referring to Mcguire-Nicholas? If not, where can I find them online?
Thanks,
Brett

Ya, I wasn't sure if it was Nicholas or Nickelson, but I think you have the right name.
They keep making them bigger and bigger, but there is a limit to what I can carry comfortably all day, and most are just to big. I don't need to carry 10#s of nail and 20 #s of other stuff. I am due for one more set, so I am going with another set of the Nicholas pouches, then I am going to be too old.:rolleyes:

Larry

Ryan Hellmer
09-19-2012, 6:06 PM
Mcguire-Nicholas is the same company that make the "Rooster" bags that I really liked (when working construction). The bags I had were pretty big and relatively heavy though, but they were great for keeping all the little stuff I needed while up on a scaffold doing remodel work. I always took the bags off when doing interior trim. Those hammer loops (even empty) can do a number on freshly installed door casing... but I digress, Rooster has a bunch of modular stuff that can be put on a belt to make a custom setup.

Ryan

Steve Rozmiarek
09-20-2012, 12:27 AM
I like my tape on the left too, my Oxy is configured that way.

Thanks for all of the input--Occidental appears to be the favorite and the cadillac of tool belts.

One more question...what side of the belt do you prefer your tape to be on? I'm right handed and find myself reaching with my left hand to pull it out and place it back in. In the "framer" series, it looks like the #5087 bag is the only one with the tape holder on the left side of the belt. Just another reason I'd like to get my hands on one to get a feel of some of these differences and what feels best.