PDA

View Full Version : Installing little brass hinges...

Dale Coons
09-18-2012, 12:22 PM
I'm making some walnut recipie boxes for my girls. I've always struggled with little hinges, figured some of you box experts could help. These are 3/4 x 5/8 brass, the 5/8 dimension is split into the two leaves that are screwed to the box. The walnut is barely 5/16, so these hinges just fit. I've been putting them between the top and the bottom of the box, rather than flat on the back--looks nicer.

I made a little jig to rout the recesses in the top of the box and the bottom of the lid--basically they are clamped together in the open position, and the router cuts the slots--all this works fine. I'm using a self-centering bit for the pilot holes for the screws.

Here's my problems:

-Lining the suckers up. After cutting the mortices, I've been drilling the holes in the bottom of the box and screwing the hinges in. Then put a piece of carpet tape on the top of the closed hinge, and set the lid down to try and stick the hinges in place. This would work ok I think, except sometimes the hinges are tight enough to pull away from the tape. I also have to put some cardstock between the leaves to hold the hinge open enough that the tape will contact the top of the box. I've also tried a drop of CA instead of tape--seems to work a little better for me, since it keeps the hinges from pulling loose when I open the lid back up, but worry about getting the lids lined up. Is there a better way to do this? I have several more boxes and would love to spend a lot less time playing with the hinges on the rest of them.

-Second question--the first box closes perfectly. The second doesn't quite close in the front. It can be pushed closed easily, but springs open about an eighth to a quarter inch. I think this might be because the second hinge set (from a difft mfr bought a long time ago) I used is a little less tall when closed than the first set, and I think the lid is binding because the mortice is too deep. I think I have two options--one is to put something thin under the hinges to raise them up, the other is to plane a tad off the the box so the mortice isn't so deep. Is this a correct diagnosis? The hinges were supposedly the same size, but different mfrs and bought at difft points in time--it looks to me like they aren't exactly the same height when closed. Which leads to ....

-Final question--how can I determine the correct depth of the mortise? I've just been routing on two pieces of scrap--trial and error--and sliding the closed hinge into the slot formed by the two mortices. I figure if the pin side just slides in when closed that's about right. If I just rout the thickness of the leaves on these little hinges, the back of the box won't touch when closed--so I think the mortise needs to be the depth of half-way up the pin.

Thanks!

Andrew Hughes
09-18-2012, 1:34 PM
Hi dale,glueing the leaf down is the way I do it .First the bottom leaf and scribe with a knife.I use a chisel and guide block to set the depth.The cheaper hinges can be set deeper than the leaf but no more than half the thickness of the barrel.
After I get the mortise done I mark the screw hole.If you mark slightly inward the screw will draw the hinge into the mortise.After the bottom is done set the lid on top of the box.I use 5 min epoxy on the leaf to contact the lid.In 10 min scribe around the top leaf.Carefully make the mortise.I also use steel screws till final asssembly.

One way to adjust lids that won't close is lay a needle between the leaf and close it.Expands the back of the hinge.The best way is to shim the hinge or remove material from the front like you were thinking.Hope this help. andrew