PDA

View Full Version : Survey says:

Ron Bontz
09-17-2012, 10:10 PM
So. If you could have or do have a 16" x 4" or even 4.5" under spine tenon saw with a 0.032" plate; What tooth configuration would you want or consider the most useful over all? Since different people have different opinions, I was wondering where the majority are. Would it make a difference if it were a 0.025" plate" Assume you cut both hardwoods as well as some soft woods.
9ppi
10ppi
11ppi
12ppi
13ppi

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
09-17-2012, 11:06 PM
I voted 10 because that's what I had been using and enjoying; but honestly, the last batch of tenons I did I cut with a 7pt panel saw, and I've been doing more and more of those types of cuts with that saw.

I also had some really straight grained poplar, and had to do some tenon-like notches - I made my crosscut for the "shoulder" first, and then made two whacks with two chisels- one to split away the waste with the grain, and one to pare the surface true-ish. I wish all wood worked like that!

Sorry, none of this probably helps the conversation, does it?

Adam Cruea
09-18-2012, 7:58 AM
I don't see it, but it doesn't mean it isn't there. . .

Is this rip or x-cut? I assume rip, unless you're doing some serious heavy-duty tenons, but hey. . .can't rule anything out. :)

David Weaver
09-18-2012, 8:23 AM
10 or 11...

Paul Saffold
09-18-2012, 9:57 PM
I would go for the 9 for better sawdust removal. If the tenons are potentially 4" deep they most likely will be wide as well and the coarser tooth count will help with dust removal.
Paul

Andrew Pitonyak
09-20-2012, 9:18 AM
Ron,

This is very difficult to answer, because much depends on exactly what will be done with the saw. You explicitly stated "tenon" saw, so I suppose you mean if the saw is meant to be used to cut tenons, as opposed to a larger back saw in general.

For tenons, I expect that the majority of the cuts will be rip and probably deeper than is usually used for dovetails. So, I start thinking it should be filed rip and be filed 11 or 10, and maybe even 9. If I intend primarily for cross cutting, I am probably thinking 12 or 13 filed cross-cut.

Based on the very few things that I know about you, and the nice things that people have said about saws that they purchased from you, I am guessing that you are asking because you intend to build and sell saws. I did not find a web site for you, so with my limited searching I was unable to confirm.... but.... if I am correct, then you should probably let people specify what they desire at point of purchase and file it based on their primary intended use.

The Rob Cosman dovetail saw is 22 at the tip and 15 at the back. This makes the saw easy to start (I have never used a Rob Cosman saw). I have, however, used a Bad Axe saw, and Mark Harrell claims to have a hybrid sharpening (unsure of the specifics on that), but I can say that my Bad Axe saw is much easier to start than my Lie Nielsen saw. I can start the Lie Nielsen saw without much difficulty when I am used to it, so I suppose that the Bad Axe saw makes me lazy. But at the end of the day, my dovetails fit better with my Bad Axe saw because i am more likely to have started it exactly where I intended. Of course as a hobby woodworker that has only recently been serious about trying to learn dove tails, they are not as nice as I would like regardless, so perhaps the pros don't struggle with this as much as I.

Oh, and I simply assumed that the saw would be used in hardwoods as opposed to softwoods, which would also change how I would want the saw filed.

Ron Bontz
09-20-2012, 10:15 AM
Sorry I should have just said "Back Saw" With all the latest "progressive pitch". hybrid filing, Thin plate, etc. I was wondering what most hand tool users really prefer. Yes, I will make saws for folks from time to time with a money back policy. I would even like a little business down the road. But for now it's build a few here and there. Look at different designs, etc. It is not worth much to me if it does not feel right in your hands and cut well. Some folks swear by slope, some don't believe it is of any real value. Some believe in adding a little bit of fleam to their rip saws, some say it is a waste and dulls the saw faster. Live and learn. So no fancy web site or blogs full of information which for the most part has been out there for a long time. You just have to search for it. Hope this helps for now. PM me if you have any other questions. Thank you. Ron