PDA

View Full Version : Angel ornament

Curt Fuller
09-17-2012, 10:07 PM
This is the first ornament I've made this year. It's maple and walnut segmented with maple for the wings. The wings are just a small shallow dish with the notches cut out on a scroll saw and pinned to the back with a small walnut peg. The wood in the wings doesn't match that great but I didn't have any maple that didn't have the dark streak running through it. It's about 4" tall.

Bernie Weishapl
09-17-2012, 10:09 PM
It may not match Curt but I sure do like it. Really well done.

Roger Chandler
09-17-2012, 10:51 PM
Nice work Curt! Up to posting a tutorial on this?

Kathy Marshall
09-18-2012, 12:19 AM
Looks great Curt!

Pete Gray
09-18-2012, 3:25 AM
Great piece of "little turning" Curt, I would love to hang this on my tree any day :)
Pete

Curt Fuller
09-23-2012, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the comments!

Nice work Curt! Up to posting a tutorial on this?

Roger, I didn't take pics for a tutorial but if you look on the WoodturnersAmerica site there's a how to for making a bell ornament that is basically the same process. For the angels I just make a head instead of a handle and add the wing. The wing is a small shallow dish with the notches cut out on a scroll saw. It has a hole drilled in the center and a small peg holds it on the angel's body.

I originally glued up a piece of wood from two pieces, one maple a little over 3/8" thick and one walnut a little over 1/2" thick, both 3" x 24". Cutting that into segments at a 22.5 degree angle I was able to get 4 blocks with 8 segments each. Two had maple on the outside and two had walnut on the outside. I made 3 angels but one block had a bad glue joint so I experimented with it and made a goblet. I also put a pic of the leftover scrap from the glue up to show how it gets cut.

Steve Schlumpf
09-23-2012, 11:52 AM
Beautiful work Curt! Always love seeing your ornaments! Nice looking goblet also! The stave construction sure gives it a cool look! Also like how you hollowed out the base of the goblet!

Looking forward to seeing more ornaments!!

Mike Tilley
09-23-2012, 3:36 PM
Curt really nice will look great on your tree