PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen cabinet doors

Roger Strautman
09-17-2012, 10:01 PM
Some commissions just take time to develop as you will see. I was contacted by a local cabinet company back in Feb. inquiring if I had background in carving acanthus. Answer to them was Yes, even though I have not attempted acanthus before but I felt I could do it. Sometimes I just don't know when to keep my mouth shut. LOL! I meet with them at which time they gave me a picture of some carved cabinet doors and said that is what the customer wants. Ouch! After a couple of days of thought I gave them a $ for 2 doors. Now the waiting game begins. After 4 months go by with no reply I think my $ was a bit high and I breath a sigh of relief and then that dreaded phone rings. "They approved the doors and it's a go but they need 5 doors now"! Ouch! After several meeting trips and 2 more months I get to embark on my new journey.

This journey started with making a clay model of the piece. Clay I have never used before so there was a little learn process there but I did find this was well worth my time. The cabinet co. wanted me to use MDF because they are to be painted doors and to prevent the carvings form moving. Ouch! I have never used this and had fear but I found this was very easy to work with.

My journey is almost over with one door down and 4 to go. All parties involved were very happy with what this rookie had carved. LOL!

Jim Underwood
09-19-2012, 7:58 PM
Very nice Roger!

Patrick McCarthy
09-19-2012, 8:44 PM
Roger, with just a little more practice they should be very nice.
It just so happens I have some at my house upon which I am willing to let you practice.

;) No, don't thank me; it is the least I can do to help you!

yvonne lynch01
10-21-2012, 1:36 AM
You are a rookie that works like a pro. That looks really hard to do. :)

_yvonne lynch_