PDA

View Full Version : New cell phone for Tracfone

Dave Lehnert
09-17-2012, 7:24 PM
I have an old Motorola flip Tracfone that I should replace. I works very well, almost hate to get rid of it. It must be 5+ years old. I have replaced the battery once. Guess buying new is no guarantee it will last any longer but my yearly service is up and a good time to make a change. 100% happy with Tracfone service.

Can anyone recommend a good model Tracfone? How about the Triple minutes models?

Brian Elfert
09-17-2012, 7:52 PM
If the phone works why replace it? That said, I switched from Motorola flip phones to an LG flip phone on Verizon. The battery would last two to three days on the Motorola and the battery would be on its last legs at 2 years. It was cheaper to get a new phone than a battery. The LG lasts around 10 days on a charge and the battery is still going strong at two years. No reason for a new phone yet.

I have no idea if Tracfone even has LG flip phones.

Rick Potter
09-17-2012, 8:41 PM
I have a Motorola flip phone that is at least 4 years old. Found Motorola batteries for it for under $10 ea. on the internet.

Rick Potter

Paul Saffold
09-17-2012, 8:43 PM
I have a LG flip. I have 40 days left then I will buy a year/400 minutes which is 800 with my double card. I've been happy with it. It has a camera which I've never used. In fact I don't use the phone much since I retired. I try to remember to keep it charged and take it when I leave the house. Like Brian, I get a week or more on a charge. The volume is good on it.

Brian Elfert
09-17-2012, 10:12 PM
My phone is supplied by my employer. My employer will only buy batteries and chargers from Verizon directly due to a few phones being blown up by generic batteries and chargers. Two years ago a battery was $40 and a phone was free.

Bill Cunningham
09-18-2012, 9:32 PM
I used, a flip phone for years, then decided to bite the bullet and by a smart phone, but not too smart.. By that I mean not one of those 5 or 6 "screens that you have to carry around in a backpack or something.. I have a samsung with a 2x3 screen, and now I'm hooked.. I actually don't use my phone as a phone very much, I have 'free apps' to do everything I find interesting. From banking to scanning barcodes looking for better deals.. I don't think I could ever go back to 'just' a phone again. Pretty soon, the flip phone will go the way of the 'bag phone'. Bite the bullet! Jump into the 21 century.

Myk Rian
09-19-2012, 11:35 AM
Bite the bullet! Jump into the 21 century.
That's what I did, and got a Samsung GS3. Having a blast with it.
I had an LG that I really liked, but I wanted to use the Internet when traveling, and didn't want to carry the laptop all over the place.

Dave Lehnert
09-19-2012, 4:26 PM
Unless I can get a smart phone and service for less than $9 a month I'll stick with Tracfone.

Jerome Stanek
09-19-2012, 5:42 PM
I have verizon but no contract I pay $9.00 a month for my phone. I have had the same phone number since 1989 and have gone through 5 companies without changing companies they just keep merging.

Bill Cunningham
09-20-2012, 9:34 PM
Unless I can get a smart phone and service for less than $9 a month I'll stick with Tracfone.

In Canada, they really rip us off for cell phone service but if I don't need 'data' and can operate on wifi my cost is 12.50 a month, payable every two months and still have all the same apps and a phone with rollover minutes. I added 100meg a month of data for $10.00 so I have an out if there is no wifi available.