PDA

View Full Version : Best Palm Sander?

Russ Filtz
04-14-2005, 3:12 PM
My old PC 1/4 sheet sander just died (actually I broke it trying to lube the bearings!). I don't feel like fixing it up, so was wondering what's a good replacement?

Dave Falkenstein
04-14-2005, 4:53 PM
If you are willing to spend the money, it's hard to beat Festool sanders. They offer a full line of sanders and the dust collection works really well too.

Steve Cox
04-14-2005, 5:42 PM
As far as 1/4 sheets, I still think the PC is the best so I'd replace it if you don't want to get that one fixed.

Bryan Nuss
04-14-2005, 5:51 PM
I have been using a DeWalt DW411 hard for a year and a half now, and it works great. It doesn't have much for dust collection, though.

Aaron Kline
04-14-2005, 6:21 PM
I like my bosch 1/4 sheet. Price is comparable to PC and I like the paper clamps better.

Russ Filtz
04-14-2005, 7:34 PM
Actually, I just ordered my 340 from Amazon, it's on sale for $59. When I posted I had forgotten the case load of hook/loop Klingspor I have which come cut for the PC!

Alan Mikkelsen
04-14-2005, 7:48 PM
Porter Cable Speed Bloc. Smooth........

Doug Shepard
04-14-2005, 8:06 PM
I've got a Makita that I'm fairly happy with. It was a rush purchase to replace an older sander that died and I was pretty much shopping by price and immediate availability, but it's turned out to be a pretty decent sander.

Mark Singer
04-14-2005, 8:08 PM
I have been using my palm:rolleyes: Actually I reccommend a ROS like the Festool 150/3....very nice.

John Miliunas
04-14-2005, 8:55 PM
Russ, I'll qualify my opinion by saying, the only thing I use my 1/4 sheet sander for is for seal sanding and in between clear coats. That being the case, I'm with Alan M. on the PC Speed Bloc. I have two and if they both took a dump, I'd replace with the same. I'm not concerned with dust pickup for finish coats anyway, as I vacuum and tack in between regardless and the PC does a wonderful job, easy to handle and you can get right up against corners for panel work and such.:) :cool:

Dale Thompson
04-14-2005, 9:45 PM
Russ,
About five years ago I ran across a DW411 demo in one of the box stores. I tried it and said, "Yeah, REALLY smooth but what would it be like if it had sandpaper on it?" I'll be danged. When I looked, it DID have sandpaper on it. Done deal! :)

It replaced an old Makita which did an OK job but had a HORRIBLE sound when in use. :(

If you use a shop vac attached to the dust outlet on the 411 and don't forget to use the "puncture plate" for venting the sanding sheet, dust is not a problem. :)

Anyway, Russ, you've gotten some excellent advice above from folks a lot smarter than I am. However, this is MY input.

If I had Spring's money, I would probably get a "FINE", "FIEN", "FEIN" or however you spell it. Whatever, I'm very pleased to see that he buys good tools for his servants to use when they are doing his projects. ;) :D :)

Dale T.

John Motzi
04-15-2005, 6:25 AM
I find the FESTOOL RS400EQ orbital sander to be excellent - very light & little or no dust when used with the vacuum system. Shhet size is 3 1/8 x 5 1/4 (80 x 133 mm)

JM

Jim Fancher
04-15-2005, 10:25 AM
I have the PC330 and I like it. With that said, I'd take a Festool setup any day. :D

Scott Coffelt
04-15-2005, 12:19 PM
If you can swing it the Festool is top notch.

I had a DW411, I really liked it except for dust collection. I sold it cause I had a new PC in a box waiting to be used. It beats the DW on dust collection but I am not at all satisfied as to its vibration. IMHO, just not a quality tool.

I'll be saving my pennies to buy a Festool when I can.

Russ Filtz
04-15-2005, 2:17 PM
I looked at the SpeedBloc, but the specs gave different pad sizes from the 340 and I didn't want to waste my Klinspor! For heavy sanding I would use a ROS, but I prefer the finer control of a palm for most stuff. I'm not into production, so even if a palm takes longer, no problem!

My problem is, when I go to finer grits, above 220, it seems to gum up the bearings even though they're "sealed". The bearing don't seem very easy to get to as evidenced by first post! I don't have a compressor, and even I did, not sure how effective it would be. Is there a way to lube the 340 without disassembly?

Per Swenson
04-15-2005, 8:00 PM
Even if its not in your budget, you will regret the opportunity of not

buying
the best sander on the planet.
Any festool sander.
Per

Russ Filtz
04-16-2005, 11:53 AM
I looked at the Festool site, but didn't see any 1/4 sheet? Seem like all their stuff is ROS? As mentioned above I prefer the palm type for more control.

Mike Hedges
04-16-2005, 9:04 PM
Go with the Festool... great sanders well worth the money ...

Christian Aufreiter
04-25-2005, 6:34 PM
I looked at the Festool site, but didn't see any 1/4 sheet? Seem like all their stuff is ROS? As mentioned above I prefer the palm type for more control.

Just have a look at Bob Marino's website (http://festool.safeshopper.com/411/cat411.htm?534)

Hope this helps,

Christian

Howard Rosenberg
04-25-2005, 10:49 PM
Makita 1/4-sheet sander.

I originally bought the P-C because of the round dust chute.
The vibration just about killed me.
Returned it for my preffered brand, Makita, knowing I'd be at the mercy of that dumb little cloth bag.
Never looked back.
Weirdly noisy but well-made and minimal vibration.

Of course, in the US, Festool products are more easily accessible and consistently highly-rated....

HTH.
Howard

Kelly C. Hanna
04-26-2005, 7:53 AM
I have a PC that I haven't used in years since buying an ROS. It needs a new pad....I doubt I'll ever use it again. I prefer the ROS...much faster!

Mark Riegsecker
04-26-2005, 8:10 AM
[QUOTE=Kelly C. Hanna]I have a PC that I haven't used in years since buying an ROS. It needs a new pad....I doubt I'll ever use it again. I prefer the ROS...much faster!

Same here! Am I missing something? I have a half sheet pc and haven't used it since getting a bocsh ros. Maybe I'm using it wrong but doesn't it leave tiny swirl marks for you guys? What good are these things? I agree with Kelly and would go with a ros and preferrably a Festool.

JayStPeter
04-26-2005, 10:11 AM
[QUOTE=Kelly C. Hanna]I have a PC that I haven't used in years since buying an ROS. It needs a new pad....I doubt I'll ever use it again. I prefer the ROS...much faster!

Same here! Am I missing something? I have a half sheet pc and haven't used it since getting a bocsh ros. Maybe I'm using it wrong but doesn't it leave tiny swirl marks for you guys? What good are these things? I agree with Kelly and would go with a ros and preferrably a Festool.

I was with you guys until just recently. I had to sand a table apron. The edges of the ROS would've torn the underside of the table up. The old PC buzzer came out and did the trick. It is useful when needed, which is rare.

Jay