PDA

View Full Version : Bitten by a ghost!

Les Williams
09-17-2012, 12:42 PM
Yep! i put my hand through the ghost today (it's ok there's no blood on the wood) and its all because i went outboard (90deg) for the first time!

Perhaps i'll learn - if my skinned pinkie has it's way it'll tell me all week!

Happy turning

Allan Ferguson
09-18-2012, 7:52 AM
That can certainly happen, and most easily when turning a square plate. Throbbing appendage!

Tim Rinehart
09-18-2012, 9:13 AM
Dang, shoot, uggh, and (*%$)!
I can only imagine, and hope that's as close as I come to having the ghost bite me. So easy to happen...must truly be something that happens more than most want to admit.
Hope you heal quickly and never forget the ghost's bite! May have been a lucky warning.
Dang, ouch, ()*+^%!

Bernie Weishapl
09-18-2012, 10:00 AM
Ouch. Ghost bites hurt. Had it happen just once but oh my did it bite.

Steve Schlumpf
09-18-2012, 3:08 PM
It only takes a second... Hope you heal quickly!!

Thomas Canfield
09-18-2012, 9:27 PM
Those ghosts are tricky. I have come to learn that there are two sides of the tool rest - mine and the wood - I try to keep it that way. Today I was turning a piece of wormy cherry that had some holes and sharp jagged edge and I had to keep reminding myself to let the wood stop completely before checking thicknesss with my fingers. Things can go bad so fast when you let your guard down.

Les Williams
09-19-2012, 6:12 AM
Well 2 days on and my hand is swollen all down to the wrist but only from the little finger, it's ok and not to painful.
Hopefully this will serve as a reminder to others about The Ghost.

Cheers all and thanks for the support, Les

Faust M. Ruggiero
09-19-2012, 7:36 AM
Hey Les,
No blood yet the hand is swollen down to your wrist. That seems strange. Are you sure nothing is broken?

Richard Jones
09-19-2012, 8:00 AM
.....Things can go bad so fast when you let your guard down.

A great line to remember and so true..............can I steal that? :)

Thom Sturgill
09-19-2012, 8:22 AM
Les, I know nothing about your health issues, but I have a touch of neuropathy affecting all four extremities. I'm not diabetic, so I don;t know the cause, but I have a brother that lost a foot to diabetes. I say this because if you have some nerve damage you might not feel other damage too badly. Please have someone look at that hand.

Mike Cruz
09-19-2012, 10:29 AM
OUCH!

But, what, no pics?

Les Williams
09-19-2012, 12:39 PM
OUCH!

But, what, no pics?

Only a skinned knuckle to show, no flesh or other gore.

Hey Les,
No blood yet the hand is swollen down to your wrist. That seems strange. Are you sure nothing is broken?

Not sure no but i broke that knuckle 30 odd years ago. Thing is however i think the body is an amazing tool that self repairs(usually), all the doctor will do is waste time with an x-ray and then either strap it or not. If it gets worse then OK Dr it is but the swelling is less than yesterday so time will tell:cool:

Les, I know nothing about your health issues, but I have a touch of neuropathy affecting all four extremities. I'm not diabetic, so I don;t know the cause, but I have a brother that lost a foot to diabetes. I say this because if you have some nerve damage you might not feel other damage too badly. Please have someone look at that hand.
I do appreciate your concern and as i say above if it gets worse i will visit the hospital. Sorry to hear about your brother - hope he's doing ok these days and You i would say remember to keep your hands and feet warm in the cold spells but your in a warm area, but still, take care.

Cheers all

Les

Jamie Donaldson
09-19-2012, 1:36 PM
Yes, those ghost bites can really be dangerous. The tool rest is your friend, and anything that extends past the rest belongs to the wood!