PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
09-17-2012, 8:51 AM
17 Sep 2012

Good Morning Everyone,
Well, it's been a long hard weekend. Worked as secondary oncall this past week and all I'm going to say is that I was busy.

We did get some cooler temps and some more much needed rain. How awesome is that.!!??!!!

Well, about time for me to report in to work. So...what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Matt Meiser
09-17-2012, 9:15 AM
Friday after work I went out to the shop and worked on the kitchen until about midnight. Sanded and sprayed the last coat on all my upper faceframes and upper doors (save one that was damaged in shipping and who's replacement is due tomorrow.) Cut all the pieces and built a small cabinet that goes over the microwave. Cut several plywood end panels for less visible locations like beside the stove, dishwasher and the pantry side of the fridge where I don't want someone catching a glimpse of the prefinished ply.

Saturday I got up way too early and went to the local Woodcraft for a "Festool Breakfast." I'd say it worked out for them as I've finally been convinced to buy an MFT. Unfortunately so was another guy at the event and he beat me to the only one in stock! Hopefully mine will be in tomorrow since I still have 8 sheets of plywood to cut up for upper boxes. We also went to an open house at our local John Deere/Stihl/Husqvarna dealer, then came home and took a nap before going out to dinner for LOML's birthday.

Sunday I installed drawer fronts and hardware on all the lower cabinets, moved all the finished stuff out of the finishing room and sanded and loaded all those panels and the microwave cabinet so I can get them sprayed this week. In between I took a break and went to watch LOMLjr cheer at the middle school football game and went to my parents for dinner. Found out about my next few projects as they are starting a major remodel this week to turn an existing, usually unused, formal living room and a first floor bedroom into a good sized master bedroom, master bath, and walk in closet. The existing first floor full bath will become a 1/2 bath with a stackable washer dryer. All a project to make their house livable on one level for them. As a result there's at least three free-standing cabinetry pieces needed which I said I'll do early next year. They also have a few things that they need right away so I lined up a friend to do those.

Carl Beckett
09-17-2012, 9:30 AM
Im always impressed by how much time you get in the workshop Matt - very productive!!!

In between soccer outings (of which there were.... 5 for me), I managed to get a little cleanup done on a home maintenance project (roofing section), and an incremental step forward on a batch of chairs that has been going on and on...... Im getting anxious on the chairs because we need them and they are starting to drag out a bit. But - Im trying not to rush, since we will live with them for a pretty long time.

Ive been contemplating some cabinets, and want to calibrate on how long it is taking you from start to finish. Then I will multiply this by about 5 and will give me an idea of what to budget. :)

Matt Meiser
09-17-2012, 9:34 AM
Yeah, when I'm working on a project I pretty much get free reign! Friday night it helped that LOML went to a card making class and LOMLjr went to visit my MIL. If you really want to save time on a cabinetry project, look at buying your doors and drawers. I'd still build them myself on a small project, but no way I'd do more than a few. And I don't really think the cost was too much higher than doing it myself if you figure in all the incidentals.

Troy Turner
09-17-2012, 9:35 AM
Spent most of Sat cleaning up the shop and adding storge under the benches. I had about 3 different projects going on that I finished up, but it left the shop is a chaotic mess. I couldn't even find the top of one of my benches.

About 8 hours later, it was back organized and I even had time to setup and play with my new INCRA miter gauge :D

Mike Heidrick
09-17-2012, 11:37 AM
Friday night I played with the domino and the Ibox. Learning to use each of them. I put the Freud box joint blade in the sawstop (one of teh $15 Sears clearence setups) for the Ibox too so trying it out.
Saturday I rode the Vmax 392 miles with the Illinois 2012 Vmax Rally. Got home and had the 2nd Numax $29 23ga pinner and a couple 750Gb $38 sata hard drives waiting on me from Amazon. Awesome 1" little pinner if you do not have one (gave my 1st one to a buddy).
Sunday I installed one of the hard drives and took the time to blow the dust bunnies out of the computer! Then installed Ubuntu and a bunch of software for it. Also made some chicken and dumplings and cleaned up around the house a bit.
Today I took another day off and am going to go play with the Ibox some more and work on a picture frome for another project and I need to CNC cut out a Duck Unlimited sign as well. Before that I am headed to a favorite place for lunch - will have either the special or a cheesburger and ribbon fries.

James Baker SD
09-17-2012, 12:14 PM
I moved the pieces of my cyclone into the adjacent room, reassembled it, got it standing up again and a brief test. I think I am going to like it out of the main shop, frees up a lot of space. Now to plan the routing of the ductwork that will finally replace a maze of flex hoses.

James

Shawn Pixley
09-17-2012, 9:52 PM
Spent the weekend rabbeting for the glass then fitting doors for my cabinet. Picky work but all turned out well. Then manufacturing handles for the drawers. Stressfull day at work today, but we all survive.

Bruce Wrenn
09-17-2012, 9:55 PM
Saturday, cleaned up yard of rental house, picking up a trailer load of pine cones, which I burned on Sunday afternoon. Went to church on Sunday morning. Sunday afternoon (while pile was burning,) I finished building new burner assembly for hush puppy cooker. Also touched up some rust on 100# propane tanks I bought recently. Started getting things ready for State Fair ministry that we help with. Was supposed to go to Baton Rouge today, but that has been delayed till tomorrow, so I built drawers today for a job I doing instead.

David Hostetler
09-19-2012, 10:19 AM
Had an automotive AC failure this weekend, so I dug out the trusty old manifold gauges only to be reminded that back sometime in the 90s they changed over to R134a... I sort of forgot about that... Spent some quality time adjusting cut barely too tall plywood drawer fronts for my miter saw stand project with my #4 bench plane... I am probably brain dead for doing it that way, but it works...

I received my 2.5" dust port for my Shark Guard SG-K1 (mine was originally ordered with the 4" port). I wanted to give the smaller port size a try to see if I can get better collection under the table, and reduce the habit of the 4" port of sucking cutoffs up into the DC... Got that installed. I also received my order of Pony corner clamps. Bought a half dozen on Amazon. Not terribly priced, was through a third party, so extra shipping was a consideration. But still not bad. Sort of weird though. The package hit UPS in Tualatin Oregon on the 10th, made it to Portland that same day. Then no entries until the 14th when it was in League City, Texas for its arrival scan. The package was delivered 3 days later. How on earth in a small city of 49,000 people can it take 3 days to deliver a package 2 miles from the UPS center to my house? I swear UPS must have notes in their system that tells them to just sit on packages for a couple of days for the heck of it...

I have mentioned it elsewhere, I will mention it here hopefully without violating terms of service because it is NOT my intent. Mods please edit this out if it is a violation.

I have several tools that I want to donate to a worthy cause. A B&D Firestorm 10 Compound Miter saw. Nice saw, but no slide. A matching Firestorm folding miter saw stand, a Firestorm plunge router which I am no fan of, and a pair of unused 8" grinder wheels.

I have certain requirements to receive this donation, and they are...
#1. The recipient must be a recognized Christian ministry.
#2. The recipient must agree to not merely reselling the equipment, but instead put it to use.

My intent is that this stuff goes to something along the lines of a ministry that does either construction projects and needs the tools, like Habitat for Humanity projects through a church, for remodeling, maintenance work for the church building itself, for a low income housing repair ministry or a vocational training ministry.

If you have any ideas of who could use this equipment, please PM me and let me know. I am not even sure where to start looking. Our church doesn't have a need for the stuff, and it is taking up space in my shop...