PDA

View Full Version : Porter Cable compressor is hissing at me

scott vroom
09-16-2012, 4:31 PM
Started hissing this afternoon from inside the pump cowling.....at a location that appears to be the pump (see arrow). The unit doesn't appear to be servicable...don't see a way to remove the cowling. The compressor is 2 years old and sees heavy use......disposable Chinese junk?

Bill White
09-16-2012, 5:44 PM
There is an obviously evil gremlin in the comp, or the pressure relief valve is leaking a bit. I'm bettin' on the PRV. Pull it out several times to blow down the tank and twist the valve stem (the ring that relieves the tank valve). Might just be some junk on the valve seat, or ya need a new valve.
Have ya checked the threaded stems for leaks with some soapy water or light oil?
I blow down my tanks after each use. I drain 'em too. Keeps the water out of the tank. No or little rusting that way.
Bill

Kent A Bathurst
09-16-2012, 6:01 PM
Scott......

Dude. You live in California. Everyone hisses at you. Deal with it. Until the mudslides, fires, earthquakes, smog, budget deficits, locusts, pestilence, etc. take you out for good. :D

Something certainly ain't right with the unit, but I gotta say: In all honesty, the "heavy use" part of the conversation pretty much closes the deal. Mine lasted 6 - 7 years under light, occasional use.

So - no, not "chinese junk". More like - "you spent a buck-fifty at most, it lasted 2 years under heavy use, and your problem is what, exactly?" :p IMO, you got what you paid for.

Time to man up, and get a serious compressor, from a serious manufacturer such as IR, etc. Cry once. Alla that noise, ya know?

Just sayin.................

Regards,

Kent

scott vroom
09-16-2012, 6:15 PM
First thing I checked was the PRV....not the source. Nor is it any of the threaded connections external to the pump cowling. The hissing is clearly emanating from the pump assembly inside the cowling....I can't see any way to pull off the cowling off. This is an oil-less pump....my guess is they break down earlier than oiled models due to the excess heat. This is a fairly inexpensive model.....probably has a cheapo-pump, like those low end pressure washers that use axial cam pumps that break after limited use. I'm not going to rant about it, you get what you paid for. Was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and whether it's economically fixable.

There is an obviously evil gremlin in the comp, or the pressure relief valve is leaking a bit. I'm bettin' on the PRV. Pull it out several times to blow down the tank and twist the valve stem (the ring that relieves the tank valve). Might just be some junk on the valve seat, or ya need a new valve.
Have ya checked the threaded stems for leaks with some soapy water or light oil?
I blow down my tanks after each use. I drain 'em too. Keeps the water out of the tank. No or little rusting that way.
Bill

scott vroom
09-16-2012, 6:26 PM
I paid $150 for the oil-free model. Our compressor gets hauled to job sites for nailers etc so portability/light weight is important. I also liked the idea of oil-free...no chance of soiling the customers floor (DAMHIK). I won't buy this model again though....I'm convinced the problem is the oil-free pump....it runs very hot (and very loud). They're built for occaisional hobbiest use. Any recommendations on a good quality, lightweight 6 gal pancake compressor with or without the oiled pump?

As for the California comments...lol jealousy is the greatest form of flattery. We like it out here on the left coast, freaks, earthquakes, mudslides and all :)

Scott......

Dude. You live in California. Everyone hisses at you. Deal with it. Until the mudslides, fires, earthquakes, smog, budget deficits, locusts, pestilence, etc. take you out for good. :D

Something certainly ain't right with the unit, but I gotta say: In all honesty, the "heavy use" part of the conversation pretty much closes the deal. Mine lasted 6 - 7 years under light, occasional use.

So - no, not "chinese junk". More like - "you spent a buck-fifty at most, it lasted 2 years under heavy use, and your problem is what, exactly?" :p IMO, you got what you paid for.

Time to man up, and get a serious compressor, from a serious manufacturer such as IR, etc. Cry once. Alla that noise, ya know?

Just sayin.................

Regards,

Kent

Don Jarvie
09-16-2012, 6:31 PM
Sounds like its time for a new one. Pancake compressors are pretty cheap and you can get a few new guns which are part of the package. Sounds like you got your money's worth.

scott vroom
09-16-2012, 8:48 PM
Sounds like its time for a new one. Pancake compressors are pretty cheap and you can get a few new guns which are part of the package. Sounds like you got your money's worth.

I'd have to agree with that. Any suggestions on a better quality portable job site compressor? I'm in a spending mood to get q-u-a-l-i-t-y :)

Bruce Wrenn
09-16-2012, 8:55 PM
There is a little rubber hose from pump to tank, that most likely is the culprit. Same problem on older American made units.

scott vroom
09-16-2012, 9:33 PM
There is a little rubber hose from pump to tank, that most likely is the culprit. Same problem on older American made units.

You may be correct....the hose may be cracked at the pump...problem is I don't see any way to remove the cowling covering the pump in order to check it out. It's almost as if Porter Cable wants me to throw it away and buy another compressor from them. Just sayin'.

Jamie Buxton
09-16-2012, 10:42 PM
You may be correct....the hose may be cracked at the pump...problem is I don't see any way to remove the cowling covering the pump in order to check it out. It's almost as if Porter Cable wants me to throw it away and buy another compressor from them. Just sayin'.

The compressor is landfill if it doesn't stop hissing, right? It's a plastic cowling, right? I say cut it off. Maybe you can see what's inside and how to repair it. If you can't, you haven't lost anything.

Kevin W Johnson
09-17-2012, 12:26 AM
A fella that helped me change an engine in my father-in-laws van had a Bostich 6gal, that was oil-free, but seemed quite a bit quieter than all the other oil-free units I've seen/heard. His was very similar to this one....

http://www.bostitch.com/default.asp?CATEGORY=BOS%5FCOMPRESSORS&TYPE=PRODUCT&PARTNUMBER=CAP2000P-OF&SDesc=6%2DGallon+2%2E0+Peak+HP+Oil%2DFree+Compress or

Jerome Stanek
09-17-2012, 6:25 AM
I always liked the Emglo compressors used them for years building homes with no problem. The gas one we had we had to have the engine rebuilt twice before rebuilding the compressor. On the electric one it just keeps going

Rich Engelhardt
09-17-2012, 9:33 AM
I'm w/Kent - IR "twin hot dog".
It's a serious 100% duty cycle machine.
Yes -it is an oil splash,,,however,,,,,it's an Ingersoll Rand. IR makes a pretty tight machine. I paid three bills for mine, but, I see them on sale for ~ $260/$270 quite a bit.

It's not uite as portable as a pancake - but - it's not that bad @ 68 pounds. I just stick it somewhere easy & add more hose on the job site.
It's got the guts to support two framing nailers.

Kent A Bathurst
09-17-2012, 11:06 AM
Yeah - Rich got me hooked on the IR twin tank when my PC pancake departed this world.........It is a good one, IMO. Not at all quiet, though - surprised at that a bit.

But - as implied by Rich - I would not call it "portable" by any means. It is barely in the "luggable" category. Unless you have a twenty-something to take orders and do your heavy lifting, in which case it is fine.

I did not realize, Scott, that yours is for job-site work. In that case, I would go for portability above all else[assuming volume + CFM meet your needs].

"Consumables" mean different things to different people and applications. In your case - two years out of a highly portable buck-fifty pancake would seem reasonable to me, in all honesty. Seems like it should have lasted longer than 2 years, but still and all.............. just put it in the category with wiping rags, circ saw blades, and drill bits, ya know?

Greg R Bradley
09-17-2012, 11:59 AM
There are some quiet compressors and lots of oilless but there are not many quiet oilless since the main US manufacturer was killed by unions two years ago.

These are great:

http://californiaairtools.com/ultra-quiet-oil-free-air-compressors/

We setup a new one in a hanger for building an airplane and everyone came by in amazement at the quiet.

Rolair JC10 might be a good choice also.

scott vroom
09-17-2012, 12:49 PM
Hi Greg, I'm curious who the US manufacturer was....do you know the name of the company?

There are some quiet compressors and lots of oilless but there are not many quiet oilless since the main US manufacturer was killed by unions two years ago.

Mort Stevens
09-17-2012, 6:05 PM
In my experience the oil-free compressors are usually short lived and unnecessary loud... and also throw-a-way when they break.

The hot-dog style compressors that use oil are quite a step-up in quality. Unless you turn it upside down I see no way for oil to get out of them. I'd be more concerned about hoses dragging dirt into someone home.

If you're really concerned about oil - there is also the option of cordless nail guns. I have a couple and they work great - I have a battery powered unit that has driven 1,000's and 1,000's of nails without stopping and another gun that uses CO2 cartilages to power it.

Bruce Wrenn
09-17-2012, 9:45 PM
In my experience the oil-free compressors are usually short lived and unnecessary loud... and also throw-a-way when they break.
The PC pancakes (made in USA) use vacuum cleaner motor from Ametek for power. The DeVilbiss oil less ones will last a life time. You can get a rebuild kit which includes both piston, Teflon ring and cylinder liner. Thomas invented the oil less pump.

Jim Neeley
09-17-2012, 10:16 PM
Was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and whether it's economically fixable.

"Scott Vroom

If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Bernard Baruch"

I think your tag-line gives all of the "fix-it" solution needed! :)

scott vroom
09-18-2012, 10:57 AM

The hot-dog style compressors that use oil are quite a step-up in quality. Unless you turn it upside down I see no way for oil to get out of them. I'd be more concerned about hoses dragging dirt into someone home.

If you're really concerned about oil - there is also the option of cordless nail guns. I have a couple and they work great - I have a battery powered unit that has driven 1,000's and 1,000's of nails without stopping and another gun that uses CO2 cartilages to power it.

I had an older Senco hot dog style years ago.....it finally died. One time I overfilled the oil pan and it sprayed oil all over a customer's floor....it was a huge mess. After the Senco died I purchased a couple of Paslode finish nailers - the kind that use fuel cannisters to fire a piston. Too many misfires...often would load up with the fuel then simply not fire. And the batteries needed constant recharging. The fuel canisters are not readily available, they have a short shelf life and there were times when my local retailer's stock was aged due to lack of sales volume. Aged fuel cells won't fire the guns. All in all a PITA experience. Yea, it's nice not to have to drag hoses through a customer's home but not worth the trouble. My next purchase was the Porter Cable oiless pancake which I really like.....very light weight and, until recently, a workhorse.

I've got my eye on that IR hot dog....kinda heavy though. I may just try to repair the PC, or perhaps try to find a better quality lightweight pancake.

Greg R Bradley
09-18-2012, 11:09 AM
Hi Greg, I'm curious who the US manufacturer was....do you know the name of the company?

It escaped me at the time but it is Thomas. They sold compressors under the Thomas name, Air Pac, and Renegade. VERY good stuff. The other Gardiner Denver companies are still making compressors for industrial and technical uses. The woodworking, construction, hobbiest, home stuff is gone and their website just shows variations of this for 2+ years:

http://www.thomasairpac.com/

I ended up replacing my small Thomas with a Senco PC1010, a popular small/quiet portable compressor. It was much louder than the equivalent Thomas and just failed after two years of light use. It was one third the price.

Scott T Smith
09-18-2012, 11:59 AM
Scott, I have a similar PC compressor that developed a "hiss" few years back. I was able to remove the plastic shroud and repair the hose that went from the tank to the compressor (where the leak occured). My shroud is different than yours though, and was a little more intuitive to take apart.

For a replacement compressor, if I were in your shoes I would give serious consideration to the Rolair JC10. Rolair's small compressors have an excellent reputation for durability, are a brand of choice amongst pro's, and the JC10 is an oilless model that is extremely quiet. Plus at $219.00 from Amazon, the price is not bad at all.

http://www.amazon.com/Rolair-JC10-Super-Gallon-Compressor/dp/B0058NRVMO

scott vroom
09-18-2012, 4:30 PM
Scott, that Rolair JC10 has all 5 star reviews on Amazon...looks like a nice unit. At 2.5 gals it's kinda small, but the reviewers claim the refill time is very short...good pump/motor I guess. 38lbs is the sweet spot for us....plus the reviewers all claim it's very quiet. Ideal for occupied job site (remodel) applications. Thanks for the tip.

I'm going to try removing the PC cowling, the hissing looks to be coming from the hose which should be an easy repair. If I can fix it I'll give it to my son for his finish carpenter business...he needs a small portable unit...and I'll buy myself the new one :)

Scott, I have a similar PC compressor that developed a "hiss" few years back. I was able to remove the plastic shroud and repair the hose that went from the tank to the compressor (where the leak occured). My shroud is different than yours though, and was a little more intuitive to take apart.

For a replacement compressor, if I were in your shoes I would give serious consideration to the Rolair JC10. Rolair's small compressors have an excellent reputation for durability, are a brand of choice amongst pro's, and the JC10 is an oilless model that is extremely quiet. Plus at $219.00 from Amazon, the price is not bad at all.

http://www.amazon.com/Rolair-JC10-Super-Gallon-Compressor/dp/B0058NRVMO

James Conrad
09-18-2012, 5:48 PM
For a new one, I like my Makita 2400, rock solid and pretty quiet. A buddy of mine has an older Bostich 1645 that he swears by. I also have one of the PC pancakes, but its older and better made than what is available now, no problems with it really.

scott vroom
09-18-2012, 6:22 PM
For a new one, I like my Makita 2400, rock solid and pretty quiet. A buddy of mine has an older Bostich 1645 that he swears by. I also have one of the PC pancakes, but its older and better made than what is available now, no problems with it really.

Looks like a very popular compressor, but at 77 lbs it's too heavy to haul around a job site (I'm not a kid anymore :))

Chris Fournier
09-18-2012, 7:59 PM
There's nothing wrong with a good oil free compressor although they are loud. I have a 20 year old IR that my brother let run for half a day straight when he borrowed it and didn't close the drain. I used this compressor to run a conventional spray gun for years, it did not have an easy life. It is now my site compressor and inflates a lot of tires but it has earned it's retirement to say the least. Sure it takes a bit longer to fill the tank but this compressor has paid for itself many times over.

Rich Engelhardt
09-19-2012, 7:52 AM
I've got my eye on that IR hot dog....kinda heavy thoughYes - it is on the heavy side - LOL! Sorta like me! :D...

I only use it on jobs where I need the volume of air it puts out - framing nailer/flooring nailer.
There weight isn't that much of an issue. Since I know I'm going to be running it a lot, I find a nice out of the way place for it that's easy to lug it to and just run more hose.

Honestly though, for probably 90% of the time I use a nailer, I run one from either my 1 gal Coleman or my 3 gal Evolv.
It's hard to beat the 10/15 pounds those little guys weigh.
I paid about 1/2 to 1/3 of what a 6 gal pancake runs for each of them.

The only real drawback to the little guys is that they are going to die. That's a given...
That doesn't bother me since I knew that going in.
The real problem is that I don't know when they're going to die.
That means I have to haul both of them if I have a job out in East Elbow Junction.
Even that isn't all that bad since by having two of them along, I can alternate between them so they don't get super hot.

What type of nailers (GA.) do you usually run?
The "little cheapies" are good for 23, 18 and occasionally, 15 and a few framing nails- in a pinch..

scott vroom
09-19-2012, 10:41 AM
Rich, we shoot 15, 18, 23 almost exclusively....occaisionally 8D sheathing/16D framing.

Yes - it is on the heavy side - LOL! Sorta like me! :D...

I only use it on jobs where I need the volume of air it puts out - framing nailer/flooring nailer.
There weight isn't that much of an issue. Since I know I'm going to be running it a lot, I find a nice out of the way place for it that's easy to lug it to and just run more hose.

Honestly though, for probably 90% of the time I use a nailer, I run one from either my 1 gal Coleman or my 3 gal Evolv.
It's hard to beat the 10/15 pounds those little guys weigh.
I paid about 1/2 to 1/3 of what a 6 gal pancake runs for each of them.

The only real drawback to the little guys is that they are going to die. That's a given...
That doesn't bother me since I knew that going in.
The real problem is that I don't know when they're going to die.
That means I have to haul both of them if I have a job out in East Elbow Junction.
Even that isn't all that bad since by having two of them along, I can alternate between them so they don't get super hot.

What type of nailers (GA.) do you usually run?
The "little cheapies" are good for 23, 18 and occasionally, 15 and a few framing nails- in a pinch..

Thomas love
09-19-2012, 5:08 PM
Yeah - Rich got me hooked on the IR twin tank when my PC pancake departed this world.........It is a good one, IMO. Not at all quiet, though - surprised at that a bit.

But - as implied by Rich - I would not call it "portable" by any means. It is barely in the "luggable" category. Unless you have a twenty-something to take orders and do your heavy lifting, in which case it is fine.

I did not realize, Scott, that yours is for job-site work. In that case, I would go for portability above all else[assuming volume + CFM meet your needs].

"
Consumables" mean different things to different people and applications. In your case - two years out of a highly portable buck-fifty pancake would seem reasonable to me, in all honesty. Seems like it should have lasted longer than 2 years, but still and all.............. just put it in the category with wiping rags, circ saw blades, and drill bits, ya know?

Exactly Kent, I like the way you think . I would pay 150$ every two years just to not have to lug around my Macho portable compressor. I do not own one although I have had the opportunity to use them... there was one on the job today. I have an old Thomas pancake, one rebuild in 25.. years runs like a top and is very quiet weighs a ton. I have newer macho portables and the weight factor is a drag. A friend of mine who runs trim crews has about six of them in his arsenal as well as the standards . I
would fix the hiss .. sounds do-able. otherwise just buy another. When I am at the other end of the hose I don't care where the air comes from especially when I have haul the source around... its one of those rare occasions where cheaper is good .

Rich Engelhardt
09-20-2012, 7:04 AM
Scott,
Those little 3 gal (Harbor Freight - Sears Evolv) handle those just fine.
That's the exact same mix I use - as well as a 16 ga also.

I doubt they would hold up to constant use day in and day out though.
Still - it's hard to beat having to haul only ~ 10 pounds up two flights of stairs.

We had to do that w/a PC just like yours yesterday & it felt like a ton.
'course that was after hauling 6 double hung windows, a bathtub, six sheets of hardi board and all the other tools up those stairs.

(What ever possessed me to retire from a nice cushey desk job in IT and get into contracting is a complete mystery to me at the moment......I'm tired in sore in places I didn't even have places two years ago.....)

Mike Manders
09-20-2012, 10:04 AM
It's bound to be an easy fix if it still runs and pumps. Probably that hose you spotted or a leaky check valve. Tear into her and have a look

scott vroom
09-20-2012, 10:42 AM
Rich, sounds like a bath remodel. Where you using the Hardie on the subfloor or walls?

Scott,
Those little 3 gal (Harbor Freight - Sears Evolv) handle those just fine.
That's the exact same mix I use - as well as a 16 ga also.

I doubt they would hold up to constant use day in and day out though.
Still - it's hard to beat having to haul only ~ 10 pounds up two flights of stairs.

We had to do that w/a PC just like yours yesterday & it felt like a ton.
'course that was after hauling 6 double hung windows, a bathtub, six sheets of hardi board and all the other tools up those stairs.

(What ever possessed me to retire from a nice cushey desk job in IT and get into contracting is a complete mystery to me at the moment......I'm tired in sore in places I didn't even have places two years ago.....)

Rich Engelhardt
09-20-2012, 11:49 AM
Yep - bath..
Walls.
Second bath remodel in as many weeks.

The contractor that's doing the first remodel (in one of our rentals) has a guy that's going to be out for a month & he asked me if I wanted to fill in for him while he's out.
Like an idiot I jumped all over the chance.

On "my jobs", I run at a more relaxed pace - as well as start at a more sane time of the day...(He starts @ 10 or 11 and runs late (8 or 9) - I start at 7am..
By last night @ 8, after the previous 12 hour day, I was hurtin bad.
Lemme tell ya, I felt every singe day of my 60 years and every cigarette I sucked down and every beer and bite of fatty fast food!
I got home so tired I was too tired to even eat.
LOL!
That's quite a different experience for a fatso like me! :D.

scott vroom
09-20-2012, 12:47 PM
LOL...I hear ya, Rich.

CBU's are a PITA to work with: heavy, difficult to cut/drill/screw, lots of dust if power cutting, etc. We gave up using CBU several years ago and now do all showers/curbs/tub surrounds using either Kerdi waterproofing fabric or one of the liquid polymer waterproof membranes (Redguard, Hydroban, Laticrete 9235). All of these technologies allow (encourage) std drywall backer. We only use Hardie for kit/bath counter tops and floor, and only in the 1/4" size (really closer to 3/16").

Yep - bath..
Walls.
Second bath remodel in as many weeks.

The contractor that's doing the first remodel (in one of our rentals) has a guy that's going to be out for a month & he asked me if I wanted to fill in for him while he's out.
Like an idiot I jumped all over the chance.

On "my jobs", I run at a more relaxed pace - as well as start at a more sane time of the day...(He starts @ 10 or 11 and runs late (8 or 9) - I start at 7am..
By last night @ 8, after the previous 12 hour day, I was hurtin bad.
Lemme tell ya, I felt every singe day of my 60 years and every cigarette I sucked down and every beer and bite of fatty fast food!
I got home so tired I was too tired to even eat.
LOL!
That's quite a different experience for a fatso like me! :D.

Joel Lockridge
04-28-2013, 6:33 PM
Started hissing this afternoon from inside the pump cowling.....at a location that appears to be the pump (see arrow). The unit doesn't appear to be servicable...don't see a way to remove the cowling. The compressor is 2 years old and sees heavy use......disposable Chinese junk?

Mine just started this too -- also a PC, but a different model. It hisses after loading up, then buzzes, and starts loading again. The hissing never stops. I found a website that sells parts. I'm going to have to try and fix mine before I replace it.

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/

Mine is hissing from that hole in the cylinder head, part #103:
http://www.ereplacementparts.com/porter-cable-c2005-type-air-compressor-parts-c-129_1662_12820.html

So, I'm going to order a couple of the parts and try to fix myself before I replace it. I just can't afford to chuck it.

Joel Lockridge
04-28-2013, 7:05 PM
Found more info: According to someone who knows more than I do about it, he said the air coming from that hole is because of a bad check valve. Here's what he said.

The small hole on the cylinder head is a pressure release hole. It is a safety to protect the motor from a faulty check valve. When the check valve fails it allows pressurized air from the tank to leak back to the cylinder. Without the relief hole the motor would be stalled and damaged by the air pressure on top of the piston. The check valve on your compressor is probably just beginning to fail. The check valve is part number #D27022 (http://www.ereplacementparts.com/check-valve-p-62826.html). Replacing it should fix the air leak.