PDA

View Full Version : How uncoated edges of Trex decking wear?

Stephen Tashiro
09-16-2012, 3:45 PM
How do the uncoated sides of Trex decking weather? Do they remain smooth?

If I make some some hollow posts out of Trex decking (not the fancy "Transcend" version of Trex), then I'd prefer not to miter the edges. The uncoated edges of a plank that was ripped would show. If the post is painted, will the uncoated edges weather the same as the coated face of the plank?

Larry Edgerton
09-16-2012, 4:05 PM
Why not make the posts out of Versatech or Azek? I prefer Versatech for its more consistant size and inner density but either will work. It is available in any size/thickness and machines much better, and does not have two different layers like decking does.

Paint when finished with a good adhesion promoting primer and cover with a good quality paint, I use Grahams Ceramic, and it will be good as long as you care to look at it.

I have done many of these if you have any questions.

Larry

Roy Turbett
09-16-2012, 4:15 PM
How do the uncoated sides of Trex decking weather? Do they remain smooth?

If I make some some hollow posts out of Trex decking (not the fancy "Transcend" version of Trex), then I'd prefer not to miter the edges. The uncoated edges of a plank that was rippedI would show. If the post is painted, will the uncoated edges weather the same as the coated face of the plank?

There is no "coating" on Trex and it is the same material throughout. I made some custom trim with a router and it weathered the same as the factory edge. If you want to paint Trex, you should let it weather first.

Stephen Tashiro
09-16-2012, 5:39 PM
There is no "coating" on Trex and it is the same material throughout.

The stack they have at Lowes has a definite surface coating on 3 faces of it and not on the back.

Stephen Tashiro
09-16-2012, 5:47 PM
Why not make the posts out of Versatech or Azek?

The Versatex and Azek websites show there are no dealers within 25 miles of my location.

Mike Henderson
09-16-2012, 8:06 PM
I've made a post out of Trex decking. My deck uses Trex as posts but Trex quit making posts. Now, they have a cover of Trex that goes over a pressure treated post. Since I needed a post that matched the rest of the post in size, shape and color, I took some Trex decking, glued it together with epoxy and then trimmed it to the size of the Trex post. Then I routed the edges to the same profile as the original Trex post. The post I made looks exactly like the rest of the Trex post and it's "aged" the same (Trex changes color with age).

Mike

[The post I made was solid Trex - no hole in the center.]

Larry Edgerton
09-16-2012, 8:12 PM
Stephen, most manufacturers including Azek and Versatex sell through distributors so all places that sell it may not be listed on the manufacturers site. If you have a local type of yard that caters to the high end builders you may find one that handles it.

I am not sure about Trex as I don't use it but on Azek the "Coating" is actually a totally different plastic than the center with better wear and color retention quality. It would not be economical to make the whole piece out of the top layer, and the center is too soft for foot traffic.

Stephen Tashiro
09-16-2012, 8:41 PM
on Azek the "Coating" is actually a totally different plastic than the center with better wear and color retention quality.

That's the way the Trex boards I saw at the local Lowes are made - it's what I meant by a "coating".

Roy Turbett
09-16-2012, 10:41 PM
The stack they have at Lowes has a definite surface coating on 3 faces of it and not on the back.

Trex has several different product lines. The solid Trex I bought at Home Depot is the same material all the way through and weathers to the same color. Its also very easy to shape with a router. I think its the "Accent" line. They also make a matching hollowing post cover that goes over a standard 4 x 4.

Ole Anderson
09-17-2012, 9:12 AM
Trex has a coating on 3 sides? Sure you aren't speaking of Veranda? I have both. The Trex, probably 6 or 7 years old, is not coated, while the Veranda has a polyethylene like layer on 3 sides. The exterior of the Trex is a bit more dense than the interior. I ripped the Trex and rounded the edge with a router for my top rail. It seems a bit softer where I worked on it, but it is still holding up.