PDA

View Full Version : Lubricant for gears and bolts

Steven Hsieh
09-16-2012, 12:54 AM
I am wondering what do you guys use for lubricating your machines?
3 in 1, liquidq wrench, pb master, Kroil/AeroKroil?

Thanks

Victor Robinson
09-16-2012, 3:12 AM
I asked a somewhat similar question a while back - here's the thread:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?189316-Please-educate-me-on-the-various-shop-oils

Carl Beckett
09-16-2012, 8:28 AM
I use white lithium spray grease on certain things (trunnion gears, outdoor equipment, etc). Its not penetrating, but sets in place and doesnt evaporate over time.

some 3:1 for areas I want thinner lubricant (such as hinges, bearings, etc)

A followup question someone here will know: How do I lubricate cable controls? (like throttle control, bicycle brake lever cables, etc) - these are a cable inside of a sleeve - is there a device to force grease down them?

Todd Burch
09-16-2012, 8:38 AM
Carl, a good lube for cables is graphite powder. I've found the best way to do it is to remove the inner cable, if you can, coat, and reinstall. Otherwise, I carefully pour around the top sleeve, hold it upright, move the cable inside the sleeve as much as I can and let gravity pull it down. When some powder comes out the bottom, you know you've got it covered. (Or, when the cable starts moving to your satisfaction, you're done.)

I use different greases, depending. On machines, where sawdust will get, or plastic is involved, I'll use white lithium from a tube. Some places call for heavy grease, others light grease, others oils. So I guess it depends - I use them all.

Bill Huber
09-16-2012, 10:14 AM
For things that get a lot of saw dust on them I use wax or graphite for other things I like lithium like Todd. For light oil type things I use Tri-flow, great stuff and last a long time.

To answer Carl's question I always used a cable luber, works great and keeps the cable clean and lubed at the same time. I use the spray can of Tri-Flow which would clean the cable and lube it at the same time.

Bill White
09-16-2012, 10:41 AM
" is there a device to force grease down them?"
Yep, and I have one left over from my motorcycle repair days.
M.C.A. hydraulic cable oiler. #925465.
PM me.
Bill

Erik Loza
09-16-2012, 12:26 PM
I use white lithium spray grease on certain things (trunnion gears, outdoor equipment, etc). Its not penetrating, but sets in place and doesnt evaporate over time.

some 3:1 for areas I want thinner lubricant (such as hinges, bearings, etc)

A followup question someone here will know: How do I lubricate cable controls? (like throttle control, bicycle brake lever cables, etc) - these are a cable inside of a sleeve - is there a device to force grease down them?

Carl, I use "thin" lubes like Tri-Flow or M-Pro 7 (a synthetic gun oil...) on my bike. They "creep and flow" down the cable sleeves but do not block up like lithium does.

Hope this helps,

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Larry Edgerton
09-16-2012, 4:14 PM
Do not wax the gear on your trunion. I tried it and found that the wax held dust in the trunion and I had to take the saw apart and clean with Prepsol to get it working freely again. I thought it would attract less dust that oil, but now I oil. I use Aerokroil.

Larry

Kevin Presutti
09-16-2012, 4:49 PM
For high dust areas or places you don't want anything to stay wet try some dry Moly Lube @ Zoro Tools SPRAYON 00200 11oz. for $5.13 and very reasonable shipping. 1st order if you register with them and look at the top right side if fill an email form out youu get $5.00 off your first order. Great for the tablesaw acme screws, plunge router etc.

Thomas Hotchkin
09-16-2012, 10:36 PM
Steve
+ 1 What Kevin said. I use moly dry lube on any metal to metal wear point in dusty condition. Tom

John Coloccia
09-17-2012, 1:04 AM
I use LPS 1 and 2 for everything that moves nowadays. I got turned on to the LPS family of products when I was airplane building, and haven't looked back.