PDA

View Full Version : Used benchtop drill press off CL

Kesh Ikuma
09-15-2012, 8:05 PM
Hi guys,

I just saw this (old) drill press for $75 on my local craigslist. The seller does not know the make or model but says still works. It's about 45 minutes away from my home, so I want to gather as much info as possible before making a trip.

On the image, I can only make out that the motor is an induction motor. Is $75 too much for this (a new HF drill press is $79.99...)? If I make the trip, any recommendations on what to look for?

Thanks,
Kesh

Bruce Wrenn
09-15-2012, 8:26 PM
Around here (central NC) used 8" drill presses go for $25 - $60 depending upon brand, and condition. My limit is $25. I have picked up a couple of Delta's for that price. I would be hard pressed to pay $75 for the pictured drill press.

Mark Ashmeade
09-15-2012, 8:30 PM
There's more than $75 worth of elbow grease to get that rust off.

As Bruce says, $25-$30 for a used bench top, and in that condition, $10.

There's ALWAYS another one.

Kesh Ikuma
09-15-2012, 8:46 PM
Bruce and Mark,

Thanks for your quick inputs. You saved my time and gas making the trip.

I'll pass this one and keep my eyes out for others.

Mike OMelia
09-15-2012, 11:30 PM
Maybe you have a Harbor Freight near you? You can buy a new bench top drill press starting at $70. Of course, you get what you pay for. But tack one of those 20% coupons on and they are almost paying you to take it home.

All depends on your requirements and your budget.

Mike

Rich Engelhardt
09-16-2012, 8:32 AM
I'll pass this one and keep my eyes out for others.
Wise move....
That one in the picture looks a lot like my GMC - which I paid $79.00 for brand new.
All in all, it (the GMC) isn't a bad tool - however - the three pulley arrangment for changing speeds is more of a pain than it's worth - which pretty much makes it a single speed.

ray hampton
09-16-2012, 4:26 PM
Wise move....
That one in the picture looks a lot like my GMC - which I paid $79.00 for brand new.
All in all, it (the GMC) isn't a bad tool - however - the three pulley arrangment for changing speeds is more of a pain than it's worth - which pretty much makes it a single speed.

If a drill press use three pulleys , do this press use one or two belts

Jerry Miner
09-16-2012, 4:32 PM
That's a pretty common configuration:

3 pulleys
2 belts
12 speeds

pat warner
09-16-2012, 5:56 PM
A shame, such machinery.
However, it is entry level if there is such a thing.
A reasonable opportunity to learn drilling.
This one: One belt (http://patwarner.com/images/old_rock.jpg), speeds from 50-5000.
Also an old machine.

Rich Engelhardt
09-16-2012, 7:40 PM
If a drill press use three pulleys , do this press use one or two belts
Two.
& it's a major pain in the neck to change them on my GMC.
I forget how many bolts have to be loosened - something like 6. It's ridiculously over complicated.

Myk Rian
09-16-2012, 8:14 PM
It's a pain changing speeds if you have the belts too tight.
Also hard on the bearings.

That press doesn't qualify for what I would consider "old".

ray hampton
09-16-2012, 8:49 PM
Two.
& it's a major pain in the neck to change them on my GMC.
I forget how many bolts have to be loosened - something like 6. It's ridiculously over complicated.

are all 3 pulleys step pulleys?
do all machines with 3 pulleys required pulling the pulleys to change a belt