PDA

View Full Version : improving hand grip

Dale Cruea
09-15-2012, 6:51 PM
For many years I have been fighting slick hands and fingers.
The friction of my fingers was just about gone.

I would drop anything that was smooth. Wet was worse.

I asked my doctor and he gave me some explanation about hooks like Velcro.
He also said the was nothing I could do about it.

Today I surfed the internet for an answer or at least an explanation.

I found a very confusing paper on the coefficient of finger friction.
I did not understand anything but several words.

Skin creme.

Apply a good hand creme to clean, dry hands and presto your grip does improve greatly.
I must have used too much or the wrong kind. Mine will not dry very well.

I thought you may want to know if you have been troubled with the slick finger syndrome.

Mel Fulks
09-15-2012, 8:05 PM
I've got it too. Just dry skin . Try gloves ,chalk ,pine rosin ,or the office product for handling paper called TACKY FINGER. I have not found lotion to be of any help beyond preventing chopping. The paper the doctor referred to was probably part of the government stimulus package.

Jim Koepke
09-15-2012, 8:24 PM
Many years ago my occupation was in the screen printing business. We used glycerin to give us a better grip on the material we being printed. We would usually print on card stock or plastics that could be slippery to handle.

Many hand creams/lotions contain glycerin as a moisturizing agent.

It sounds like you might want to consider ways of putting a diamond grip into your tool handles. There are also nonslip paints available that could help.

jtk

Jim Matthews
09-16-2012, 7:29 AM
In my youth, we applied anti-persperent to the palms of our hands and soles of our feet prior to skiing in the back country.

That kept them dry, and therefore, warmer.
I wonder if a quick swipe would do the same for slick hands?

Matthew N. Masail
09-16-2012, 8:14 AM
As a classical guitarist I have been taking very good care of my hands. sometimes when they got really dry from intense physical labor with dirt
and such, just cream didn't do much, especially when I was working like that every day. but if you put on a nice motorizing lotion and put on plastic gloves and go to sleep with it, it will work magic for your skin, and you wake up with baby skin. try in for a while, every night, and it might
be able to help. most nights I just put on a bit of hand cream before going to sleep. avoid the types that dry out or get sticky.

Dale Cruea
09-16-2012, 2:35 PM
I put some creme on last night before bed. I tried some other stuff we had here.
No slick finger today.
I can hold my coffee cup with one hand, by the handle.

Paul Incognito
09-22-2012, 8:37 PM
I've had dry hands since childhood. They'll get so dry they crack and bleed. Eucerin is the only skin creme that's ever worked for me, and I've tried everything. Goes on a little greasy, but once that wears off, my hands feel great, and no slick fingers.
Hope this helps,
Paul

David Weaver
09-22-2012, 8:44 PM
Have you ever tried a mineral oil / beeswax mix? It's probably not going to be any more forgiving than anything else (in terms of mess), but it sure stops my hands from cracking, and it doesn't leave your hands slick.

Extremely cheap to make (about $8 for a quart), and nice to use all over the shop, as a sanding wax (turning), as a lubricant for saws, whatever...and great for dry skin.

Kenneth Speed
09-23-2012, 12:24 AM
David's suggestion of the Beeswax/Mineral oil mix is a good one. Largely out of curiosity I made a batch and keep it in a coffee can with a plastic lid on or near my bench. I have a rag inside the can liberally charged with the mixture which I use to wipe down my tools before I put them away. I use it to lubricate screws, hand saw blades, and drill bits and as a rust preventative on virtually all my tools. While I'm at it I wipe my wood totes and handles with it too. Obviously, I get the beeswax mixture on my hands and it does seem to prevent my hands from drying out and cracking. It makes the shop smell good too.

Ken

Paul Incognito
09-24-2012, 5:53 PM
I've tried plain mineral oil, but never mixed it with bees wax. In fact, I do the same as Ken but with stariaght mineral oil.
What do you do- melt the beeswax down and mix them? What keeps the bees wax from solidifying?
Paul

george wilson
09-24-2012, 6:03 PM
How about "Corn Husker's Lotion"? I haven't tried it,but it SOUNDS pretty heavy duty. Maybe I'm completely wrong. My hands,from many decades of woodworking,metal,etc.,are also quite dry. Possibly from exposure to linseed oil for years.

Paul Incognito
09-24-2012, 6:07 PM
I've tried Corn Husker's Lotion. It was a while ago so I don't remember why I don't use it any more. Once I found Eucerin it's been the lotion I've stuck with.
Paul

Steve Thomas
09-25-2012, 8:18 AM
Surf Board Wax is a winner for me... not for woodworking but for wrestling.
sticky as "all get out" and stops sweating from the palms.

I prefer "Mrs Palmers" Soft. = Parafin, beeswax, vasoline :)

george wilson
09-25-2012, 8:57 AM
Personally,I just can't stand beeswax. I like that cheap,old Lander's hand cream that used to cost $1.00 at the grocery store. Then,I keep a spare bottle and thin it out a little. Must put it on 10 times a day. I just don't want sticky beeswax on my hands,or on everything they touch. I'm just DOOMED!!! I have to order the stuff from Green Grocer on the web,now. For some reason EVERYONE stopped selling it. Why?? Was it under selling all their other stuff?? The grocery store has always been good at discontinuing every blasted product I ever liked. Bushes' bottled chili-the best commercial chili ever made,for one. Farm Fresh had the best tasting house brand saltines anyone ever had. Now from a different source and pure garbage. I don't know why.