PDA

View Full Version : "Creekers" meet at symposium

Roger Chandler
09-15-2012, 6:50 PM
At the Virginia Woodturning symposium, there were a few of the regulars of the turners forum who were present. Today, I saw Charlie Knighton, Bob Rotche, Tony DeMasi and Baxter Smith and his lovely wife. Unfortunately, I did not get a photo with Charlie or Bob.........sorry guys.....I should have thought of it while we were conversing....:o:(

I did get a pic with Baxter & Mrs. Smith and with Tony........the pics are from my cell phone, so not the greatest!

I did enjoy meeting Baxter and his wife, and renewing friendship with Tony, Bob and Charlie. Great demo by Jimmy Clews..........super personality and very funny! The Virginia symposium is off to a great start this year!

Bob Rotche
09-15-2012, 9:07 PM
Definitely a good time. Just got back from dinner with Tony, Baxter and his wife. Great to get to know them after conversing on the Internet for so long. Of course ther are no pictures so maybe it didn't actually happen... Thanks for the restaurant recommendation, Roger. Too bad you couldn't join us.

Roger Chandler
09-15-2012, 9:10 PM
Oh man! I would have liked to have done that dinner thing, Bob! How did you like the Mill Street Grill?

Bernie Weishapl
09-15-2012, 10:30 PM
Looks like a great time was had. Oh and Roger I know that guy with ya in that second picture. Still looking good Tony.

Steve Schlumpf
09-16-2012, 10:26 AM
Thanks for sharing some photos! Always a good time when Creekers get a chance to spend some time together!

Belton Garvin
09-16-2012, 4:51 PM
A good time was had by everyone I talked to. Didn't have enough prep time to meet with anyone. Drove up Saturday morning (3.5 hours) set-up and did a 2+ hour demo hands-on for finials, spent a few dollars (few+....lol) at the vendors...saddled back up and made the 3.5 hour drive back to Virginia Beach. Had too much to do Sunday to stay and enjoy. From everyone I talked to it was a great set-up with great people participating. I will have to plan better for the next event (I think in 2014) so I can meet with a few people.

Tony De Masi
09-16-2012, 7:52 PM
Well it certainly was a lot of fun. Good to see Roger again, and was very surprised to see Baxter and his wife. Was great to finally meet of a few of the regulars here such as Bob and Charlie too. Picked up a few goodies but they kind of pale to the renewed and new friendships that were created.

Thanks for making it a great time fella's.

charlie knighton
09-16-2012, 8:30 PM
just got back, found my camera in its usually place in living room, great to see Roger, Baxter and his wife, Bob Rotche, and Tony DE Masi. good instant gallery, sorry no pictures,
i really never got ahead of the the weekend, and it ended too quickly

Roger Chandler
09-16-2012, 8:40 PM
I wish I could have made the symposium today.........especially Jimmy Clewe's demo..........but it was other responsibilities that took priority. I dropped a few $$$$ myself on some new filters for my Trend Airshield pro and a craddle for the battery to charge outside the helment...........and some new Thompson gouges [5/8 V bowl and a 3/8" detail] with my name laser engraved on a new 20" handle.

I might not know what I am doing with one, but at least I'll be stylin' with the tools when in the shop! :D:rolleyes:;)

Nice to see all the guys here and meet Baxter in person. I just wish I had known they were going to dinner together........I might have stayed longer yesterday for that get together!

Baxter Smith
09-16-2012, 10:21 PM
It was good to meet you Roger! Sorry you missed dinner. Getting to spend time with Bob and Tony was great. The ribs and shrimp weren't half bad either!;)
It was neat seeing Bob's Samurai trio in ithe instant gallery and some of Charlies work as well.
Didn't spend much money at the trade show. Either a guilty conscience..... or one of the drawbacks of asking the wife to go along!:rolleyes:
At least she said she met a lot of "nice people".:)

Tim Rinehart
09-17-2012, 9:26 AM
Sounds great guys...wish I could have joined you. Bob reminded me of this symposium but just couldn't get away. Glad you all had a chance to get together...that really caps a good symposium into a great one!

Roger Chandler
09-17-2012, 11:45 AM
Sounds great guys...wish I could have joined you. Bob reminded me of this symposium but just couldn't get away. Glad you all had a chance to get together...that really caps a good symposium into a great one!

Tim......I keep threatening to go to the North Carolina symposium in Greensboro.......my mom & dad live about 45 miles away from it, so I could stay with them and accomplish not only the symposium, but seeing them as well......and it is on alternating years from the Va. symposium.........perhaps we might meet up in 2013?