PDA

View Full Version : How to cut and turn green wood

Mike Tilley
09-15-2012, 4:41 PM
I almost always do segmented turning but when i was at swat i purchased a monster hollowing system so today i went to my brothers timber and we cut up some walnut and cherry to try to make some salad bowls and try a hollow form or two. I took the pieces to the shop and sealed the ends with lacquer sanding sealer any tips on cutting these up would be appreciated
Thanks Mike

Doug W Swanson
09-15-2012, 5:34 PM
I'm sure the experts will chime in here but I usually cut the logs in half through the pith. When I turn them into bowls, I'll leave them about 1" thick and let them dry. Then I'll finish turn them when they are dry.

I have not done much turning from green to finish.....

Greg Just
09-15-2012, 5:58 PM
Mike:

I would highly recommend getting the book Turning Green Wood by Michael O'Donnell. He covers all aspects of cutting up wood. I have it and is very helpful. Amazon sells it for $11.97 and if your total is over $25 you can get free shipping.

Steve Schlumpf
09-15-2012, 6:33 PM
Mike - I agree with Doug - if you are going to turn some bowls. If you want to turn a hollow form or two - then you can turn it endgrain and keep the pith in the center. Apply CA to the pith area once you have it roughed out and then allow the piece to dry. Green to finish... I have not done that yet but plan on giving it a try some time soon. Have fun and congrats on your new Monster system!!

Thomas Canfield
09-15-2012, 9:08 PM
I have not heard of using laquer sanding sealer on end grain before and hope it works. The usual sealers are Anchor Seal (wax emulsion) or latex paint. The wood looks to be in the 12" D or less. I am not an epert for sure, but I like to cut out a pith slab about 15% of diameter if I am not turning the wood right away to remove the pith. I cut the blanks a length equal to diameter for bowls with foot to outside, and cut some about 1.5 x D for natural edge long oval bowls/trays. Green wood is normally turned to tickness equal to 10% of diameter (1" for 10" D bowl) and I recommend allowing a little more if wood will move a lot like Cherry Laurel. I turn green wood using a tenon ( allow at least 1/4" over minimum diameter) with dimple in center to allow for remounting after dry and warped to true up tenon and finish turn the bowl. Green wood is a lot of fun. You can rough it out if quick time, but then you have to wait if you want to get a "round" finished piece.