PDA

View Full Version : My first little chest of drawers (and a chisel in the leg)

Andrew Pitonyak
09-15-2012, 3:03 PM
In my quest to produce hand-cut dovetails, I decided to cut one a day in 1/2" cherry stock with two tails. Things were looking kind of OK after the first two weeks, I upped the ante and decided to build a small chest of drawers. I used 5/8" hard maple and it was much much more difficult than the Cherry. I figure it is because the maple is much harder and this time the board was much wider.

The first two attached images show a head on shot sitting on top of the unfinished rolltop desk that my Father purchased for me in the 80's and then finished for me (Love that desk). The side shot shows that the dovetails are not perfect by any means, but pretty nice for getting started. This is one side shot of a drawer. The drawer front is 3/4" hard maple that I then routed with a Whiteside (5951) Medium Raised Panel Bit, Ogee Pattern. This is an almost exact match for the drawer profile on the desk (the desk does not have the final raised ridge on the panel, but I preferred the ridge). I was a bit nervous turning a 2-1/2" bit with my Bosch 1617, but that was not even remotely a problem it turns out. Great little bit. I also purchased the miniature version (5751) just in case it was too much for my router.

The case is very simple, and it probably would have looked better if I had run a bar horizontally across the front, but I am fine with how it turned out as my first chest of drawers. It is 48" wide and under 9" tall. The back panel is 1/4" oak ply, as are the drawer bottoms.

I did no measuring of any sort while laying out the dove tails, I mostly just eyeballed where I wanted the tails (or pins), marked the wood (so that it would be easier to cut square / perpendicular. I tried both pins and tails first, and found that I seem to be more accurate with tails first, but that may just be because I have done almost exclusively tails first.

Here is the other side of the drawer. Notice the strange layout of the dovetails on this drawer. I have a half pin on the top and a half tail on the bottom. I did this so that I would not need to worry about the bottom pin rubbing against the wood runners. I did not do this on the first drawer or two, and then it occurred to me that perhaps it was a decent thing to do. I suppose that it fails the symmetry test...

I learned a few lessons along the way, mostly things like verify that you are cutting the correct piece of wood every time and at the correct spot. At least once I left the waste and removed the "not waste" portion. Another time I fitted the wrong set of tails to a set of pins, which would not have been a problem, but I had already cut the mating tails for that piece as well.

I had to completely redo one drawer because it did not come out square (my fault.... duh).

While fitting the drawers, I needed to trim just a smidge off one of the drawers that had a bottom tail. So, I grabbed an old chisel that I received from my Father (who can't LOVE a Father that gives him old chisels), and I left the chisel sitting on my bench while I was trying to fit the drawer fronts to the drawers. Well, I managed to knock the chisel off the bench. I saw it go down pointy end first. Luckily for the chisel (and unluckily for my leg), my leg broke the fall to the cement so it ended up hitting head first saving the tip.

The initial cut was split open, so I knew that a regular band-aid would not suffice. Luckily, I had purchased some butterfly band-aids. The idea (in case you don't know) is to pinch the wound shut so that it can heal shut rather than open. This image is less than 24 hours later. You can see that it is still pulling open a bit.

I found that the butterfly band-aids were not adhering well to the skin, so I opted to use Wound Closure Adhesive Surgical Tape Strips. You can see the tape. The middle piece is a full piece, the two outer strips were cut in half. There is some Neosporin on there that you can see as well. As I write this, the entire thing is covered up by one huge band-aid, yeah, I have them that big. Those 3M Nexcare bandages are expensive, but they sure hold well. They are called "Knee & Elbow" bandages. I highly recommend that you keep some wound closure strips for those rare times that you need them.

I found that two of my drawers bound up a bit (side to side stuff), so I waxed the inside contact surfaces (sides and runners) and then I did the same for the chest of drawers. Made a huge difference. No binding of any sort.

I purchased some Red Garnet Shellac flakes from my local wood craft, and I mixed my own. Very happy with the results.

So, that is my first chest of drawers. To continue my Dovetail saga, I have already started a Tansu jewelry cabinet (at the request of my wife). I opted for Ash, so I am in the process of cutting dovetails in Ash. The carcass for the Tansu uses slightly over 3/4" thick wood, which I have been finding even more difficult to get right.

Andrew Pitonyak
09-15-2012, 3:05 PM
Quick side note: The front is cut from a single piece of somewhat figured hard maple. I was a bit sad that the ogee patter mostly obscures the obvious fact that this is a single piece of wood that flows continuously both horizontally and vertically.

Todd Burch
09-15-2012, 3:38 PM
Ouch - sorry about the leg! Chest looks good! (personally, I'm not too fond of polished brass/gold hardware on that color wood - but that's just me!)

Andrew Pitonyak
09-15-2012, 3:54 PM
Ouch - sorry about the leg! Chest looks good! (personally, I'm not too fond of polished brass/gold hardware on that color wood - but that's just me!)

What would you have used? I considered using cast iron pulls (since I ordered some for use with the Tansu) as well as some aged bronze look. I opted for these because they match pretty well with some parts of the roll-top desk.

Todd Burch
09-15-2012, 4:10 PM
... I opted for these because they match pretty well with some parts of the roll-top desk.

Yes, and that's what you have to do sometimes.

Me? Probably oil rubbed bronze. Maybe wood to match.

Mel Fulks
09-15-2012, 4:41 PM
Good job and good objective self review. You are on the best road.Glad that chisel was dead flat....leaves less of a scar !

ian maybury
09-15-2012, 4:51 PM
Good going Andrew.

A dropped chisel can do a lot of harm. I've a 2in scar in the raised area of the palm of my left hand adjoining the wrist that I got that way years ago. It rolled off a shelf I was working on, dropped a couple of feet and zipped through without even slowing. I felt almost nothing...

ian

Paul Sikorski
09-15-2012, 5:12 PM
Well done Andrew. I Love the dovetails. I have recently embarked on cutting them by hand myself. Yours look pretty darn good. So far its been a roller coaster some come out great others eh not so much.

Don Jarvie
09-15-2012, 7:05 PM
I realize dovetails are now more of a focal point but if you look at old furniture the dovetails werent that pretty so don't be to hard on yourself. The more you do the better you will get.

Andrew Pitonyak
09-16-2012, 12:24 AM
Good job and good objective self review. You are on the best road.Glad that chisel was dead flat....leaves less of a scar !

Oh my, is that why it cut such a straight line in my leg :-)

Andrew Pitonyak
09-16-2012, 12:27 AM
I realize dovetails are now more of a focal point but if you look at old furniture the dovetails werent that pretty so don't be to hard on yourself. The more you do the better you will get.

Sometimes when I make a cut now, I can see what problem that cut will cause me later....:rolleyes:

Of course, with my next project, I can already see a few new skills that I must acquire. The directions cause for a sliding dovetail for the center support pieces.

Chris Parks
09-16-2012, 1:04 AM
I think that point escapes us all too often, they were originally a fast and very secure method in lieu of anything better or cheaper and were not done to be a visual focal point. That we view them as a focal point now shows the way we have departed from what was a necessity made under pressure of time and money to what is not a very nice visual effect made mostly by those whose time is their hobby. A very good effort BTW and no, they don't need to be measured and over thought like others demonstrate.