PDA

View Full Version : Anyone own a PC 390K ROS?

Kent A Bathurst
09-15-2012, 10:18 AM
I could use a minute of your time.

My 10+ year old PC 333 is acting like I am on the clock for motor failure. Huh. Go figger. A lousy 10 years? :D Got my money's worth, that's for darn sure.

Here's my problem - everyone's new stuff is 8-hole. Mine is 5-hole - and so is an extensive inventory of H&L discs. An 8-hole sander would make obsolete a lot of $$$ of on-hand discs.

What I would like to do is get the 390K, and swap pads, so I have a 5-hole pad on the 390K.

The parts diagram for the 390K sure looks like they will swap. But - if you could help, what is the OC dimension between the mounting screws? Mine is 1-7/16", as near as I can tell.

Thanks

Kent

OH - on a related topic: Does anyone know of a 5" 5-hole pad that mounts with a 5/16" stud bolt? If there is such a critter, it would swap out with the 8-hole that is on the Ceros.............and my budget would be in serious danger.............

Jamie Buxton
09-15-2012, 10:35 AM
You can use 5-hole paper on an 8-hole pad. Some of the holes line up, and some don't quite, so the dust collection isn't quite as good, but it still sands.

Kent A Bathurst
09-15-2012, 10:50 AM
OK - thanks - never considered that. A fall-back position - I'm a big fan of "Plan B".

I really like the way my Fein TIII pulls dust out of my old war horse ROS.........like to keep in that game, as best I can, if I can [short of a couple gallons of green kool-aid :p ].

Barry Richardson
09-15-2012, 2:23 PM
My local borg sells the replacement pads, you could take a look at them there, even buy one and if it doesn't match up return it. BTW, The new Diablo sanding pads have a bunch of little holes that work, no mater what base you have. If your pad lasted 10 years your lucky,I go through about 1 a year before the velcro looses it's stick. A cheap solution is to take the wornout pad, sand off the remaining velcro till its pretty smooth, then use epoxy to attach vecro strips that come in rolls to the base, trim it, poke holes through it where the holes in the base are, and your back in business. Works great! and it is stickier than the original velcro. It also works great on the 2" velcro pads that you use in drills...

Curt Harms
09-16-2012, 8:39 AM
Sort of along the same lines as Barry, I've heard of people using a sheet of 8 hole paper as a template and using something like these:

to make holes where there aren't any. Dunno how practical it would be.