PDA

View Full Version : really bad cutting

mikael norrman
09-14-2012, 5:10 PM
I was trying out my new laser today and did get som super bad results.
The engraving went yellow and not plecing at all and the vector cutting did not work at all. it did not get al the way down the material and it got this nasy burn you see in the photo.

I use a 40w Epilog EXT36
The grafik is made in adobe Illustrator, I have use the same on a MacPro computer, glass, wood and a mirror with relly nice result.

This material is 5mm thick.

The setting I use was:
Raster: speed:100 power:50
Vector: speed: 10 power: 50 Frequensy: 5000
the lens was 2,0

I was thinking that this material is not working in the lasser. since the al other material gives nice results.

Tom Bull
09-14-2012, 5:22 PM
If I am not mistaken polcarbonate is same thing as lexan. It does not react well with laser, especially cutting. Plexi-glass is acrylic and it works well

Martin Boekers
09-14-2012, 5:35 PM
Yep, no to Polycarbonates! Lexan is a brand name, there are a variety of others that make Polycarbonates.

You may want to research your products a bit as somethings will damage your machine as well as your health.
Not every substrate works with a laser. PVC or any material made with Cloride is very dangerous.

Frank Corker
09-14-2012, 5:48 PM
For some reason a lot of people buy this thinking it's cast acrylic, the results are terrible, it's the worst stuff ever. It doesn't engrave very well and there is very acrid yellow fumes which come off it when it's cut.

mikael norrman
09-14-2012, 5:54 PM
Thats my thinking aswell, I did get this pice of Polycarbonates and did like to test it out but as you all can see in the photo thats aswell is in bad quality the result is horrible.

Mark Sipes
09-14-2012, 6:17 PM
Lexan (GE Trade Name for Polycarbonate) drag engravers like butter and makes great engraving on glassware but is defininetly not intended for a laser.

and

make sure the acrylic is CAST not extruded. that is a set of new problems with crazing..........

Alro Plastics Product: Plexiglas® G (Cell Cast Acrylic)

Joe Pelonio
09-14-2012, 9:50 PM
I have done a lot of cutting with it but never accept a job if over 1/8" thick, that yellow smoke and residue is nasty! Would never consider engraving it, but for some applications the customers need the strength. At some places that sell plastic sheet, like Home Depot it's easy to grab the Polycarbonite instead of the acrylic.

Doug Novic
09-16-2012, 4:41 PM
I have had to engrave polycarbonate/motorcycle wind screens. Can not go to deep and usually make a series of passes. I have gone deep and the brown/yellow added to the 3D effect of the engraving.

Todays polycorbonate is safe for your machine and not toxic like yesteryears stuff.

Cutting I do not do.