PDA

View Full Version : Vega v.s. Biesemeyer? Opinion from users please!

Dick Brown
09-14-2012, 11:21 AM
I am restoring a Unisaw that had a 52" Biesemeyer on it that is in good shape. Yesterday I bought a 50" Vega fence that is in VERY good shape. Have always wanted to try one of the Vega's. This Uni. will be sold when done so really don't want to mount a fence on it twice. Would like input from you guys that have used both more than just a trial time to see what you think. I know this subject has been beat to death but most of opinions were about the fence that the poster owned, not real hands on comparisons.

Thanks,
Dick

Jeff Duncan
09-14-2012, 3:59 PM
Which Vega? Personally I've owned and used both and prefer the beis fence, but that doesn't matter either. You said your selling the saw....why not ask the person who buys it which one they want instead?

JeffD

scott spencer
09-14-2012, 5:50 PM
I prefer the Biese at even money, but the Vega is a good fence on it's own merits, and is often quite a bit less money.

Stew Hagerty
09-14-2012, 7:52 PM
I have the Vega U50 on my vintage Craftsman saw and I love it. I've use a Biesemeyer before and I would say it's very comparable. In fact, it has a micro-adjust feature that I absolutely love, while Biesemeyer does not. Plus it's a hundred dollars less than the Biese. If you get the Pro50 you get a 42" fence riding on a 2" steel tube, while my U50 has a 36" fence and a 1 3/4" tube and it is still $50 less than thr Biese. IMHO that tube system is rock solid and the whole thing works great.

Greg Portland
09-14-2012, 8:08 PM
I am restoring a Unisaw that had a 52" Biesemeyer on it that is in good shape. Yesterday I bought a 50" Vega fence that is in VERY good shape. Have always wanted to try one of the Vega's. This Uni. will be sold when done so really don't want to mount a fence on it twice. Would like input from you guys that have used both more than just a trial time to see what you think. I know this subject has been beat to death but most of opinions were about the fence that the poster owned, not real hands on comparisons.I'm assuming you're talking about the Vega Pro fence. If you're restoring the Unisaw to re-sell I'd say that the Bies. fence will be more desirable. Both fences do what they're supposed to. The Vega has a nice micro-adjust feature if you need to shave off another 1/32" of an inch. I tend to work w/o numerical measurements so that kind of feature (or tape accuracy) is not a big concern for me. YMMV...

Ken Frohnert
09-15-2012, 8:45 AM
I have a Unisaw from the 70s and picked up a Biesemeyer to replace the old factory fence a couple years go (Lowes was clearing them out so I got it for like $125). I would not trade my Biesemyer it is great.