PDA

View Full Version : Sandpaper for an RAS

Lewis Ehrhardt
09-13-2012, 7:55 PM
I'd like to know what you all have found in sandpaper that works the best, lasts the longest, does the best job? I bought a pack from Lowes and basically one sheet will sand about a 12-inch by 20-inch oak plywood piece and it's shot. Klingspro, Norton, others? Thanks Lewis

Larry Browning
09-13-2012, 9:02 PM
Lewis,
Hopefully you are talking about Random Orbiting Sander and not a Radial Arm Saw.:eek:
But I have always had good results with Klingspor. I know you will get other recommendations as well.

johnny means
09-13-2012, 9:55 PM
What grits did you use? Using an appropriate sanding schedule wil get a lot more life from your paper.

Steven Hsieh
09-13-2012, 10:35 PM
How much pressure were you pressing on the sheet?

Gary Breckenridge
09-13-2012, 10:58 PM
When I have a project or all the pieces ready for sanding I load my ROS with 150 grit and give everything a lick. Then I switch to 220 and then 320 for a final go round. If the wood is rough before I start cutting I'll give it a lick with 100 grit. I let the sander do the work. Pine, end grain and edges load up or wear out the paper pretty quick. I give sandpaper the finger tip test and change when necessary. If you actually figure out all your shop costs sandpaper is pretty cheap.:cool:

Lewis Ehrhardt
09-13-2012, 11:08 PM
Thanks, it is a Random sander, as you know, you're not to put too much pressure on it, to keep it rotating. Of course, the step process in sanding is essential for the best finish. But it seems the different grits I've gotten don't seem to last very long.

Sam Murdoch
09-13-2012, 11:11 PM
My favorite these days is the Abranet mesh - lots more options available from this good company:http://www.2sand.com/

Steven Hsieh
09-14-2012, 12:04 AM
No sandpaper is best
because this brand might be best in coarse. Other brand may be best in fine.
You will get different opinions on this
some like Klingspor, 3M, Mirka, norton, etc..
It is not right or wrong just personal choices.

Steven Hsieh
09-14-2012, 9:04 PM
I say buy each brand one at a time. To see which one you like.

Larry Frank
09-15-2012, 8:37 PM
I like the Norton 3X and it works well for me. Like others have mentioned, working through the grits works best.

I am going to try some of the Klingspor the next time I buy some. I have had good luck with their other products.