PDA

View Full Version : fume filtering

Kasey Maxwell
09-13-2012, 3:57 PM
I know this has been asked over and over, what is the best fume filtering system to get for a laser engraver, I currently have a 3/4hp fan so I know I would like to upgrade that to a 1 or 2 hp, so is there a filter system with a fan combo with replacement filters ? I need to be able to use it indoors with no escape to the outdoors so zero fumes is the goal here.........

Thanks

Mark Sipes
09-13-2012, 4:42 PM
At what cost??? Here is a compact quite cleaner..... http://www.sentryair.com/specs/Air-Cleaner-Spec-300-MS.htm

Dan Hintz
09-13-2012, 7:51 PM
Search for my thread on a DIY fume filter... something like "DIY filter for <$200", or something like that.

Kasey Maxwell
09-14-2012, 12:55 AM
Search for my thread on a DIY fume filter... something like "DIY filter for <$200", or something like that.

Dan, how did you seal the lid so no air escapes from the top ?

Thanks

walter hofmann
09-14-2012, 5:06 AM
look for the hydrophonic inline systems with 500CFM they have it with the carbon filter it is the best I ever have used.
gretings
walt

Dan Hintz
09-14-2012, 3:33 PM
Dan, how did you seal the lid so no air escapes from the top ?

Thanks

Duct tape :D

Kasey Maxwell
09-14-2012, 9:32 PM
do you think something like this would work, made the same way as your trash can design but to make for an easy sealing solution ?

www [DOT] usplastic [DOT] com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=22828&catid=459

Dan Hintz
09-14-2012, 9:48 PM
Any of those should work, but it'll cost you... after shipping, the cheapest looks to be at least $60. A cleaner looking solution than my trashcan, for sure, but I wanted compactness, simplicity, and immediate accessibility to materials. If I had to do it over again, a round can would make filter inserts easier to construct.

Kasey Maxwell
09-14-2012, 10:17 PM
Would your filter function set up in this order - Laser, filter, fan, out instead of laser, fan, filter, out instead of inflating the can it would hold it together ?

just a thought :)

Dan Hintz
09-14-2012, 11:52 PM
Would your filter function set up in this order - Laser, filter, fan, out instead of laser, fan, filter, out instead of inflating the can it would hold it together ?

just a thought :)
My setup sucks the air from the filter, which in turn sucks the air from the laser... to put the fan between the laser and filter leaves the possibility (read, likelihood) for tainted air escaping the ducting.