PDA

View Full Version : JDS, Jet, Delta or none of the above???

Steve Swinton
04-14-2005, 11:18 AM
Hi All,
I have an Oneida dust collection system but was thinking about a ceiling air filtration unit as well. Woodcraft carries the JDS, Jet and Delta. Any advice? Any reason not to install the ceiling unit?
Thanks in advance,
Steve

Mike Stanton
04-14-2005, 12:44 PM
:D You need an air cleaner. I have the jet 1000 3 speed with a timer for when you leave the shop.It gets a lot of dust that my dust collector misses.I have the washable outer filter.I run mine all the time I am in the shop. Mike :D

Chris Rosenberger
04-14-2005, 1:44 PM
I have JDS & Delta. The JDS makes less noies than the the Delta. They do clean alot of dust out of the air. I have mine turn on & off with the lights the lights.

Matt Meiser
04-14-2005, 2:44 PM
I have an older Delta. Its basically a box holding a blower and a set of filters. I have mine wired to a timer so that I can turn it on on hold, then when I leave the shop I turn the timer to about 20 minutes and let it run. I agree that you need one. There are some who are vocally opposed to them, but there are a lot of operations where dust collection won't work--i.e. hand held router operations, turning, etc. It also helps when I use an air gun to clean everything off. I usually turn on that plus open the blast gate closest to where I'm cleaning. Getting a lot of the dust out of the air is better than none. Since I have to turn it on, I generally only use it when I'm doing something dusty but I have considered plugging it into one of my lighting receptacles to run whenever the lights were on. That would prevent me from using the timer though, so I haven't done it yet.

Tyler Howell
04-14-2005, 3:24 PM
Jet Going on 2 years now. Works great.

Tom Hurlebaus
04-14-2005, 4:54 PM
Steve,

I also have the Jet 1000 and I wouldn't be without it. I don't know why, but i still get a kick out of using the remote :)

Tom

Karl Laustrup
04-14-2005, 6:54 PM
I have the JDS 2000. Got it from Woodcraft. I liked the numbers better on the JDS after reasearching all three, although it was more expensive than the Delta or Jet.

My .02 cents.

Ron Jones near Indy
04-14-2005, 10:53 PM
The JDS has the edge over the others when you check them out. In this case the numbers don't lie.

Brad Schmid
04-14-2005, 11:11 PM
Steve,

I have a JDS too , it works good, and i like it. But honestly once the dust is in the air it's too late (if it's health reasons you're interested in). What it is good for is catching dust in the air that settles on your shop and machines. If I'm doing something real dusty that I can't catch with dust collection system (like sanding at the lathe, I'll wear a PAPR for the lungs, and have the JDS running to catch some of the dust that would otherwise settle on the shop. It also works great to circulate air when it's hot in the shop (which is most of the time here in Texas) ;)

Brad

Maurice Ungaro
04-15-2005, 10:50 AM
JDS, hands down.

Maurice

Alan Mikkelsen
04-15-2005, 2:17 PM
None of the above. You can make one for less than $100. Mine is a two speed furnace fan, operating on slow speed. It probably does 1500 cfm or better on slow. On fast, it keeps blowing lumber off the racks. :D I have four 16"x25" filters in it, in decreasing orders of microns. I swap the first two filters out every 30-60 days, depending on work load.