PDA

View Full Version : Deer Antler Bullet Pen

kevin nee
09-13-2012, 10:06 AM
I am doing a Deer Antler Bullet Pen for a gentleman that has 299 acres.
He said he just casts the burls aside and will save them for me. I would
like this pen to come out nice. What finish goes well with ANTLER and how
fine of grit do folks sand to. Thanks in advance, Kevin

Steve Doerr
09-13-2012, 11:01 AM
Kevin,
I have done antler two different ways. One is with no finish and the other way is with a CA finish. The no finish, I start sanding with about 150 or 180 grit sandpaper through 400 grit sandpaper and then sand all the way through the different levels of micro mesh and then go through and wet sand with all levels of micro mesh. When using the CA finish, I start my sanding the same way but stop after the first two levels of micro mesh and then apply my CA (10 coats) and then re-sand starting with 220 grit through the first two levels of micro mesh. Then 10 more coats of CA and re-sand starting with 220 grit through all levels of micro mesh and then wet sand through all levels of micro mesh. Which ever method I use, I will finish them off with Stick Fast Gloss CA Polish (prior to using Stick Fast, I used Hut Ultra Gloss Plastic Polish). I will then give it a quick buff on one of my buffing wheels.

Of the two finishes, I personally like the CA finish better. It is a much harder and smoother finish and will keep its shine. The non-CA finish will become flat after awhile, it is a more natural appearance and depending on the antler may have an irregular surface.

Hope that helps and good luck.

Tim Leiter
09-13-2012, 11:01 AM
Kevin, I sand to 600 then use MM to 12000. Most of the time that is overkill. The Antler sands easy and comes out very well. I use Shellawax, about 4 coats. I use that on all my pens because it is so easy to get the friction polish to shine up very well. You probably should tell the user that later on it would probably do well with a coat of wax, but I have had no complaints with the Shellawax Friction Polish and I have done a lot of bullet/cartridge pens with deer antler. I like to do white tail deer antler because I find it turns easier than wood and much better than acrylics, in my experience anyway. (Just be aware it smells to high heaven though). Make sure you have your dust control/vacuum system close to your work on this.

Steve Busey
09-13-2012, 11:17 AM
I put just a couple coats of thin CA on antler, just as a tiny barrier between the organics in the antler and the user's hand, and only use the first two coarse grits of MM to keep the non-shiny texture of the antler.

Jim Burr
09-13-2012, 12:26 PM
If you are doing a bullet/cartridge pen, you may want to think about lacquer on the brass. 15-20 coats of CA works well in antler. Keep in mind you will have some areas of pitting and mineral deposit in the antler. You can add enough CA to fill these...sometimes up to 30 coats!!! or fewer coats and retain some textural aspect to the antler. If I'm going to that much effort...2k-3k MM wet sanded.

jared herbert
09-13-2012, 9:26 PM
I have made several antler pens. I didnt put any finish on them, rather just used my beal buffing wheels to polish them up. It really puts a shine on them Jared

BILL DONAHUE
09-13-2012, 9:54 PM
CA works fine and on the sandingimes I'll use mesh up to 12,000.

James Combs
09-14-2012, 3:25 PM
I have made several antler pens and have used CA as the finish and like Bill D. I MM to 12000. And for what it's worth when I drill the antler I try to leave a bit of the bark showing. Here is an example (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?155975-30-06-Blank-as-a-Pen&highlight=).

Tim Leiter
09-14-2012, 5:23 PM
James, I drill them the same way. They sell better when part of the outside of the antler is showing.