PDA

View Full Version : Toekicks -- real or plywood?

Matt Meiser
09-13-2012, 7:47 AM
And another thing on my list...What does everyone use to trim out toekicks? Plywood? Real wood? I used plywood on my mom and dad's kitchen and there's a little wear on an outside corner. I'm probably the only one who notices and I think using a piece of 1/4 round molding or just a 3/4" square piece at the corner would prevent that. I've used real wood on all my bathrooms and laundry. Appearance wise, you can't tell at all.

Jeff Duncan
09-13-2012, 10:54 AM
I don't like real wood as it will shrink seasonally potentially leaving a gap at the bottom....DAMHIKT;) Good quality plywood holds up very well and is nice and stable.

good luck,
JeffD

Jeff Monson
09-13-2012, 11:47 AM
I'm with Jeff, I use plywood for my toe kicks.

Michael W. Clark
09-13-2012, 12:24 PM
Another + for plywood. Adding corner trim as you say helps. I have also seen where on the exposed end of the cabinet that had frame and panel construction, the end stile nearest the front, was shaped to allow the plywood to butt into it and hide the edge. It is usually a gentle curve that goes back and sticks past the kick plate a 1/4"+ near the bottom.

Mike

Peter Quinn
09-13-2012, 12:28 PM
I like real wood in kitchens where regular mopping might compromise plywood over time. Scribe it to the floor, gap it at the top wher it can't be seen, there is no movement issue, and it won't delaminates if it gets soaked. Any room with water in it has the potential to get soaked. In fact any room with a small boy potty training has the potential to get soaked. DAMHIK

Sam Murdoch
09-13-2012, 12:36 PM
I like real wood in kitchens where regular mopping might compromise plywood over time. Scribe it to the floor, gap it at the top wher it can't be seen, there is no movement issue, and it won't delaminates if it gets soaked. Any room with water in it has the potential to get soaked. In fact any room with a small boy potty training has the potential to get soaked. DAMHIK

Exactly!

Back prime and if you really are concerned paint the bottom edge after scribing. Attach to a 3/4" false plywood base that is set up off the floor about 3/8". The solid wood finished toe need only be about 3/8" thick.

David Kumm
09-13-2012, 12:55 PM
If the cabinets have wood face frames wood should be on the toe kick. You can spot ply a mile away when comparing it to the frame. If I don't want to waste a lot of nice wood I'll resaw 3/16 or 1/8 to ply and accomplish the same thing. Doesn't take that much effort. unless competing for business. Dave

Cary Falk
09-13-2012, 1:43 PM
I like real wood for toe kicks. I think plywood looks cheap.

Todd Burch
09-13-2012, 2:53 PM
3/4" real wood (same as face frame) with plenty of backing to make it super stiff.

Don Selke
09-13-2012, 6:04 PM
Plywood as stated above, who looks at toe kicks?

Jason Roehl
09-13-2012, 6:09 PM
Black. ;)

scott vroom
09-13-2012, 6:28 PM
I use solid wood for both stain and paint grade kicks. Cuts/mills better than plywood.

Todd Burch
09-13-2012, 6:52 PM
If you can see the end of the toekick on the end of a run of cabinets... who wants to look at the edge of a piece of ply?

scott vroom
09-13-2012, 7:36 PM
If you can see the end of the toekick on the end of a run of cabinets... who wants to look at the edge of a piece of ply?

You would most likely miter plywood outside corners.

Phil Thien
09-13-2012, 8:10 PM
I vote solid wood. Because when we had out kitchen done (fairly high-end stuff), they used solid wood, and it has held up nicely.

Mark Blum
09-14-2012, 2:03 PM
Since I am building separate bases for my cabinets I will already have structure at the toe-kick area. I will re-saw solid stock to 1/4" or so and face the toe-kicks.

Rick Potter
09-15-2012, 3:15 AM
Wow,

I hesitate to ask this, but am I the only one who puts baseboard around toe kicks? I thought everyone did.

Rick Potter

Jason Roehl
09-15-2012, 8:23 AM
Wow,

I hesitate to ask this, but am I the only one who puts baseboard around toe kicks? I thought everyone did.

Rick Potter

Around here, it's rare (I'm a painter--been in a lot of houses, and I notice these things). I have seen it, but it's not my cup of tea. If it's a painted trim package, but stained cabinets, it just doesn't look good--either the toe kick baseboard stands out because it's painted, or, if it matches the cabinets, it makes for some ugly transitions where it ties into the painted trim. On top of that, I would prefer toe kicks to remain as deep as possible, and I only wear a 10.5-11 shoe.

Larry Edgerton
09-15-2012, 7:54 PM
I don't do many kitchens any more but when I do they are expensive. I expect them to be restored, not replaced, and so I use real wood. The other thing is the color/grain of plywood is never the same and most of my work is in solid wood. If I can get boards wide enough the baseboard is cut from the same board as the rails and kept in sequence.

Back when I pumped out Euro-boxes, they were plywood or whatever the traffic would bare. Hated my job back then.

Larry

Leo Graywacz
09-15-2012, 8:23 PM
I use 1/4" ply which is over the 3/4" ply. It is just a skin. If it get damaged it is easy to replace.